PDA

View Full Version : WI/LA – St Gun Laws - Georgia??? More from Handgunlaw.us

Gary Slider
January 8, 2012, 05:43 PM
Back in mid December Louisiana added Wisconsin as a state they would honor. I look for a few more states to add WI in the coming months. The total number that will eventually add WI I am not sure of. WI is so swamped with applications they are way behind and don’t have time to do much else. Some states require anything official before they will honor another state. They have moved people into the License Section from other Divisions to help out. They don’t want to go over the 21 days they are allowed by law now.

WI will honor the Non Resident VA License but not the Resident License. This is because VA has their own data base they check their resident applicant’s background with while they use the NICS for Non Resident applicants. WI requires the NICS to honor a permit/license.

John Farnam had a nice little piece (http://www.defense-training.com/quips/05Jan12.html ) on knowing the firearm laws of the different states. The happenings in NYC brought this about with people stating those people should have known the law. In most instances they should but the laws are getting so long and spread out that Mr. Farnam stated:
The problem today with "knowing the law," particularly with regard to gun laws, is that the law is unknowable! Have you ever actually read every NYC and NY state gun law, or, for that matter, gun laws of every other state, municipality, county in which you may ever find yourself?

I agree with him completely. There are so many that no one can know them all. Something is wrong when the citizens can’t figure out what their laws are and what they have to do to stay within the law.

California moved many of their gun laws in their statutes. Every gun law in the 12000’s of their statutes were moved. Many of those laws were listed like 12051(a)(2) (B) etc etc with every paragraph going to another letter or number. They moved them and gave them all a 5 digit number. 19050, 19051 etc etc. Their knife laws are now mentioned in Penal Code 20310, 20410, 20610, 20910, 21110 when they use to be all right together

Georgia is becoming a pain. From all I can find out their AG is at odds with the RKBA’s community. ( I am not from GA) In My opinion based on those I have talked to it stems from the recent changes in GA gun laws over the last couple years. The AG didn’t like them. He is also newly elected in 2010. Case in point, ND told me that they have confirmed that GA will honor their Permit/License in mid 2010. GA still has not add ND to the list of states they honor. They will not even talk about adding Iowa or Wisconsin who honor them. GA law is very specific when it comes to honoring other states.

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.
So if another state honors theirs they will honor them. GA does nothing. The law says they have to honor those states but they will not list them which means many citizens of GA and those who wish to travel there are being told by the GA AG’s website that they will not honor them when the law says they must. (I agree with people when they state confirm with the State when looking at information at www.handgunlaw.us) How can you confirm when phone calls don’get answers. I have never called for people to contact a state but it sure would be nice if people would call or FAX the GA AG asking them why they have not added ND, WI and IA to the list of states they honor. Be very nice if you do call or FAX and just ask. Getting angry or harsh words won’t help. If they get ask enough they may do something. Phone: (404) 656-3300 Fax:(404) 657-8733 They do not have E-mail that they make public though I have emailed 4 Pro Firearm GA Senators asking them “Why” their AG will not list those states. I am also FAX’ing a letter in the AM.

Tom Servo
January 8, 2012, 10:22 PM
When AG Olens was a county Commission Chairman, he donated money and support to a gun buyback initiative. He did not return anyone's calls, and the few people who got through to his office were treated quite rudely.

Essentially, Georgia is not reciprocal with any other state until he says so, and he's not too proactive on the matter. I wish I could tell you that you'd get an answer, but I doubt it. While a legislative fix might be the answer, the Assembly is reluctant to give much time to such things.

Such is Georgia.

Gary Slider
January 8, 2012, 10:25 PM
Tom, This is what I am hearing. That answers are far and few between. I do know in years before 2010 GA AG's made a big deal about honoring another state. They made press releases announcing them saying how GA residents could now carry in those states etc etc etc. None since mid 2010.