PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB is denting brass...

Tex S
January 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
... what can I do to diagnose or alleviate this problem?

Roughedge
January 8, 2012, 05:52 PM
Can you post a picture or be more specific?

Tex S
January 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
Best I can figure is that it is hitting the ejection port. Cases are dented about halfway up the side.

drail
January 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
The ejection process needs to start a little sooner to get the case out of the port before the front edge of the port hits it. Traditionally this has usually been done with an extended ejector like the one used in the Commander. Downside to that solution is you may have trouble if you need to eject a loaded round, it may not clear the port. Colt addressed this years ago by also making a small cut at the front of the port to allow a loaded rounded to swing out the port if needed. A knowledgeable smith who understands 1911s can also do some fine tuning on the extractor hook and ejector nose angles to get the brass out without being wanged by the slide's port. Having the port lowered and flared can help also if you have the military GI type slide. My advice - try an extended ejector first and see if it helps. If it is just lightly denting the cases it's not a huge problem as the sizing die will normally iron them out. But it's also a sign that the gun is right on the ragged edge of having an ejection problem that could stop the gun which of course is not acceptable if this is your carry gun.

Tex S
January 9, 2012, 07:31 PM
I wonder if lightening the recoil spring would help with this issue? I think the slide is not going back far enough to allow positive extraction. On the other hand, I dont wanna peen out the frame on my pistol.

Brian Pfleuger
January 9, 2012, 10:57 PM
Are you shooting "generic", commonly available, commercial 10mm ammo or "real" 10mm?

Tex S
January 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm shooting some American eagle ammo that I got on the cheap. It is loaded with a 180gr high antimony lead flat point. Not sure of the velocity as I didn't bother to chrony it. I have loaded some stiffer ammo (nothing too hot though) and I get the same results.

orionengnr
January 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
My 10mm CBOB was smashing the case mouths (3-4 out of 10). Not just a little dent, but rendering the cases useless.

Not exactly the same as your problem, but similar, and very annoying. After spending some time on the 1911 forum, the advice I received on the forum was that a) I diidn't know anything about 1911s, and b) that the extractor was too loose. Using the standard test for extractors, I did not believe that to be the case, and I did not want to mess up a functional extractor. So I got a new one from DW and "tuned" it to the specs provided by the "experts". All that did was give me a bunch of FTRB.

Through some PMs from people who had actually fixed their problems I received advice to shorten the original extended ejector a little at a time. I took about .040 off of it, and it's worked fine (well, with regards to extraction/ejection, anyway:rolleyes:) ever since.

I've been through a fair bit of HSM and American Eagle, as well as some Silver Tip and some of my own hand loads since then. Fun gun, great round.

PM me if I can be of any help.