PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Belgium Browning SA22's...

MaloneyKY
January 7, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have three different Belgium made Browning 22s. One I know is a grade 1. The other two are either grade 2 or 3. I would like to know how I can tell the difference as I am trying to determine a value on the guns.:confused:

The Grade 1 has no serial numbers that I can find on the barrel but does have the wheel sight. On the butt I found the serial T84588. I also have the original box for it which I know is quite rare in itself.:)

The other two are either grade 2 or 3 in Browning made Leather cases. Both of the cases have keyed locks and the keys are present. I found the serial numbers on both of these on the underside of the barrel.

Serial number 7T59102 has provisions for scope both on the gun and in the case. The scope is a Browning 4X serial E19730.

Serial number 8T80186 has the Owner's handbook with it. Their is a provivsion in the case that it fits perfectly as well.

Any help on determining the grade or value would be greatly appreciated.

thedaddycat
January 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
T84588 made in 1960, 7T59102 made in 1967, 8T80186 made in 1958

This information is from my reference book "Browning Dates of Manufacture, 1824 to Present" and is listed for the22 Long Rifle Automatic.

From "The Blue Book of Gun Values", all values are the listings for Belgian manufacture, 100% condition:

Grade I, $800, Grade II, $1450, Grade III, $3525

There are also added values for things like wheel sights, initialed or fully signed by the engraver, original boxes, etc.

The BBoGV is a valuable resource and I highly recommend getting one. If you want another good book to have, the Gun Parts Corp. catalog has tons of exploded drawings of just about anything, it seems.

MaloneyKY
January 8, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks Daddycat... Is there anyone out there that knows how to grade the Belgium made 22's.

Pukindog
January 8, 2012, 10:49 PM
If you mean what is the difference between a Grade II and a Grade III:
the engraving on the Grade II from 1956 until 1962 consisted of two prarie dogs on the right side and two squirrels in a tree on the left side. in addition there is a lone duck in flight on the top of the receiver. These all had the coin finish.
From 1962 until the end of Belgian production the engraving patternis the same, except reversed. The lone duck is still present on the top of the receiver. Most of these wor the greyed finish. Not many Grade II rifles were signed. Engraving coverage is about 50%. The stocks were checkered 22 lines per inch.
Grade III. Originally had on the right side three ducks being chased by what appears to be a setter in a woods scene. The left side has a dog and three pheasants surrounded by grass or some other foliage. The top of the receiver has a spanial type dog with a rabbit in its mouth surrounded by oak leaves and scroll. Coverage is about 95%.
In 1963 this grade was also changed slightly. The dog appears to have a duck instead of a rabbit. Dog is unchanged. From the first year of production until about 1965 they wore the coin finish. After 1965 they had the greyed finish. The wood is skip checkered about 2 lines to the inch.
All triggers on both grade were gold plated. Most Grade III were signed after the first two years of production. There were slight variations in these rifles so the descriptions may be off a bit. The barrels, markings, stock finish and dimentions for all three grades were common to all.
Hope this answers your question.
PS: This information comes from Matt Eastman's book " Browning, Sporting Arms of Distinction"

Jeff