PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Revolver ID

552Tactical
January 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
I recently saw a revolver marked with "maltry hensley & co" on the top of the barrel, along with a copyright from the 1800's. It's a black powder cartridge gun, but has no other distinguishing markings. Any idea what this is?

Jim Watson
January 6, 2012, 06:02 PM
Maltby Henley was a trade name used by Otis A Smith Co, Rockfall, CT in the 1870s, '80s, and '90s. Just one of many inexpensive revolvers of the period.
Read more at:
http://www.armchairgunshow.com/Z-AGG01.htm#7maltby

Now, if yours is really marked "maltry hensley & co" it might even be a fake from Spain or Belgium. Mispelled brand names were common on such knockoffs.

James K
January 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
I have one that I bought from a gun show "junk box" a couple of years ago for $60. The trigger return spring is broken, but it is otherwise functional, and even retains some of the original silver plating.

They are usually described as solid frame, but they are not one piece. The barrel and basic frame are one piece but the grip and trigger guard are another piece. The two pieces are held together by screws.

Some folks doubt that barrels were actually made of brass, but the MH barrels are, rifling and all.

Jim