PDA

View Full Version : The Ruger American Rifle

David the Gnome
January 2, 2012, 03:29 PM
Ruger just announced a new rifle today.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/images/indexBackground.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

Looks like it will come in .243, .270, .30-06, and .308. MSRP is only $449 and it includes a lot of really nice features for that price. Weight is also only 6.25lbs. I can't wait to see some reviews for this. It looks like this will be a great rifle for the money.

PawPaw
January 2, 2012, 03:31 PM
I saw that earlier today. It looks like a push-feed, synthetic stock. It's due out in mid-January and I wonder what it is designed to compete against? It looks vaguely like the Axis, doesn't it?

MTT TL
January 2, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'd say "whats the big deal?" but how often does Ruger come out with a new rifle anyway?

TheBear
January 2, 2012, 03:38 PM
looks nice, i like the idea of a quality centerfire bolt action rifle that anybody can afford.

warbirdlover
January 2, 2012, 03:43 PM
It looks alot like the TC Icon and Venture and Tikka T3. I like it, especially the adjustable trigger.

johnwilliamson062
January 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
Do those rifles have an MSRP of $450? I think they are actually being sold for a little more than $450.
Looks like a great rifle to me. If the accuracy is consistently sub MOA I will be very impressed.
I hope they expand the calibers. Would be a great platform for the 460 carbine I keep e-mailing them about :)

David the Gnome
January 2, 2012, 03:49 PM
It comes with a lot of high end features for that price. I would expect it to retail in stores for under $350 once the new-gun pricing wears off. That adjustable trigger can be adjusted between 3-5lbs which is quite nice if it actually works out to be that light. I also like that it comes with rails and rings for mounting a scope straight out of the box. I wonder what the accuracy will be like.

Palmetto-Pride
January 2, 2012, 03:52 PM
Looks pretty nice, but the bolt action market is pretty saturated right now isn't it? I don't really see a need for another "new" bolt action JMO

johnwilliamson062
January 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
Can anyone tell what type of rail it is? Is it proprietary?

Orion6
January 2, 2012, 06:35 PM
Dang and I just bought a Savage! Not that I'll regret it but one of my best rifles ever was a Ruger 77.

Vermonter
January 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
I would love that gun if it comes in lefty. I suppose i could deal with a detachable mag as supposed to that spring loaded thingy on my hawkeye.

mrawesome22
January 2, 2012, 06:57 PM
"A legend is born." Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

dvdcrr
January 2, 2012, 06:59 PM
what would be nicer is if they just offered the Hawkeye with a crisp factory trigger ala Timney and a pillar bed free float stock like those "cheap" savages. I wouldn't even mind the blind mag so they could save cost. The only drawback the ruger has is its stock and trigger.

jhgreasemonkey
January 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ugh. I don't know about this one. I'm a Ruger fan and really like how they use the mauser 98 type actionin their rifles. But this one looks like they may have strayed. Probably a push feed type with some version of trigger similar to the Savage accu-trigger. Nothing wrong with that but it's not really a Ruger....but....is it? Also with the name American rifle I would think it would have classic American styling, maby some iron sights with a nice walnut stock. First impression, two thumbs down. I guess they want to get in the budget bolt rifle game. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad idea like Remington did with the 770.

TX Hunter
January 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
It looks like a POS. :(
I hope they still make the M77 Rifles, they are awesome.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 08:34 PM
I think its a nice looking rifle. It will really bite into Savage's sales. I think this rifle is more 788 than 770 if you are comparing it to a Remmy product.

MTT TL
January 2, 2012, 09:07 PM

lol

HKFan9
January 2, 2012, 09:09 PM
Just another junk economy grade rifle to compete against the Remington 770 and Savage Axis/Edge

This is what happens when the consumers buy for the lower price instead of the better made gun... you get manufactures to sell cheap junk.

Congrats Ruger you sold out. I am sure Dicks and Walmart are already putting in their orders.

upstate81
January 2, 2012, 09:24 PM
Wow HK, what a great attitude to have considering its not even out yet. More rifle options are always better to have. Besides I've bought a few weapons from walmart and dicks I can assure you they are no different, and no they weren't cheap guns at all even bought a leuopold at walmart to mount on one of my 700's

johnwilliamson062
January 2, 2012, 09:26 PM
lol

I say this b/c I don't see any rail whatsoever in the pictures. I guess I was really asking if it is picatinny or not. Doesn't look like it is. From my past experience with Ruger they like proprietary hard to imitate nearly as much as Sony.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/features.html
If you click also features it shows them in greater detail. It is drilled and tapped, not machined, so I guess it isn't a big deal one way or the other. A more or less receiver length mount will be available in a few months from someone.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 09:39 PM
It ships with a set of Weaver bases. There are plenty of high dollar rifles, mid-grade rifles, and cheap rifles. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about a free market, and a product made here in the US. If you want to buy a custom $4500 rifle, go for it! I applaud your great fortune. But why begrudge us who shop at Dick's and Wal-Mart? I have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I won't be getting my $4500 rifle for a while!

mrawesome22
January 2, 2012, 09:41 PM
HKfan nailed it.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 09:44 PM
Maybe you guys haven't noticed, but the economy is still bad. Many people can't afford a $900 rifle.

cornbush
January 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
I'll be looking at one of these for the wife...... there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive, I'll bet Ruger made this one inexpensive.

One of best shooting rifles I have is a CHEAP Remington 78 Sportsman, you know the cheapest "crap rifle" of the time period, just like the "junk" Winchester Rangers.
Just because they don't have hand rubbed oil finished walnut and carry a four figure price tag doesn't mean they wont be good rifles.
I like the more expensive rifles too, and I own a couple, but I won't overlook an "inexpensive" rifle just because of the price and a few unsubstantiated rants from internet armchair gun guru's either.

mrawesome22
January 2, 2012, 09:50 PM
If you can save up $400 you can save up $900.

People buy these crap rifles then come on here and complain about low quality, quality went down hill, blah blah blah.

Ruger was forced to put this out due to the other manufacturers putting out this crap also.

Damand and supply.

upstate81
January 2, 2012, 09:57 PM
Your dead wrong pal after you save up 900 dollars for a gun u have a scope ammo slings bipods etc... I woulndt blow 1500 on a gun when I have bills and a family that's just selfish. I bet its a good rifle and not some 770. Get off your high horse people.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
People buy these crap rifles then come on here and complain about low quality, quality went down hill, blah blah blah.

I have never heard anyone come on here complaining about the lower priced Savages. The Remington 788 was a cheapie, and now people clamor for them. The Tikka T3 was offered as an economy rifle when it first came out at $399, and when they couldn't keep them on the shelf, the price went up. If you don't want one, don't buy one. The market will bear what it will bear.

csmsss
January 2, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm curious how many could have formed such strong opinions about a rifle that they have neither held, fired, nor even read a review of.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm curious how many could have formed such strong opinions about a rifle that they have neither held, fired, nor even read a review of.

Its had a great review already:

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

upstate81
January 2, 2012, 10:45 PM
Sure did...good review. Good things to come possibly.

mrawesome22
January 2, 2012, 10:53 PM
I have bills and a working man myself.

I am by no means on a high horse.

I just think a lot of people have a must have it now attitude so they go looking for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on and are disappointed at the results.

A good gun holds value. These craptastic plastics...

Save up and buy a nice gun.

FrankenMauser
January 2, 2012, 11:13 PM
I say this b/c I don't see any rail whatsoever in the pictures. I guess I was really asking if it is picatinny or not. Doesn't look like it is. From my past experience with Ruger they like proprietary hard to imitate nearly as much as Sony.
I'd be willing to bet it will use a Tikka T3 or Browning A-Bolt base; or another common flat-top mount.
(Much like Marlin ensuring their XL7 and XS7 could use the cheap-and-available Win Model 70 bases.)

have bills and a working man myself.

I am by no means on a high horse.

I just think a lot of people have a must have it now attitude so they go looking for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on and are disappointed at the results.

A good gun holds value. These craptastic plastics...

Save up and buy a nice gun.
This one is an ugly beast. That is for sure.
But... I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now.
I own expensive rifles. I own cheap rifles. I own inexpensive rifles.

I thought the Marlin XL7 would be a POS, when I first saw them (much like the cheap Savage/Stevens offerings, and the Rem 710/770 I had looked at). But... I was dead wrong.
The Marlin X7 series is a group of inexpensive rifles, not cheap rifles (like Savage/Stevens/Rem).

Hopefully, the Ruger will be a good, inexpensive rifle; not a cheap rifle. And, maybe it will make Savage and Remington pull their heads out, and step up the quality of the offerings they've managed to get their brain-washed customers to buy. The Marlin X7s are amazing rifles for the price. The Savage and Remington offerings.... well, they're something else with a well-known name stamped on the side... :rolleyes:

nimbleVagrant
January 2, 2012, 11:41 PM
Looks like a decent entry level rifle. In that price range I'd probably still lean towards a Savage Stevens 200 but I'd bet that Ruger would work just fine doing what it was designed to do.

warbirdlover
January 2, 2012, 11:41 PM
I can't believe Ruger would make junk. At any price.

upstate81
January 2, 2012, 11:42 PM
You know what that's very true and I agree with buying quality firearms. Buying guns is kinda like buying jewels or gold its collateral

Jim243
January 2, 2012, 11:57 PM
Congrats Ruger you sold out. I am sure Dicks and Walmart are already putting in their orders.

I don't know about Dicks, but at one time Wal-Mart was the largest retailer of firearms in the United States, may still be. (and they don't/didn't sell handguns). Hell, I even bought 4 of mine from them, Ruger 10/22, Savage Model 110 in 270, Savage Model 10 in 243 and a CVA 50 cal mag inline.

I too have kids to feed, and I don't see the price of gas getting any cheaper for my car or my house. So don't bitch about someone trying to help and keep the cost of shooting down. And Gander Mt. had to give me an extra $100.00 off on my purchase of a Mossberg 835, because Wal-Mart had the same gun for $50.00 less than they did. (price match + an extra $50.00 off, I don't think they are doing that anymore.)

Jim

upstate81
January 3, 2012, 12:17 AM
Yep agreed. Don't get me wrong I still go see my man ol howard who is 75 years old and still owns and operates his own shop bless his heart. I still support the little guy. Bought a 22 mag bolt gun a few months ago from him. Sometimes a big box store just works for a hard working welder such as myself

shootniron
January 3, 2012, 12:18 AM
Jim243

I don't know about Dicks, but at one time Wal-Mart was the largest retailer of firearms in the United States, may still be. (and they don't/didn't sell handguns). Hell, I even bought 4 of mine from them, Ruger 10/22, Savage Model 110 in 270, Savage Model 10 in 243 and a CVA 50 cal mag inline.

I too have kids to feed, and I don't see the price of gas getting any cheaper for my car or my house. So don't bitch about someone trying to help and keep the cost of shooting down. And Gander Mt. had to give me an extra $100.00 off on my purchase of a Mossberg 835, because Wal-Mart had the same gun for $50.00 less than they did. (price match + an extra $50.00 off, I don't think they are doing that anymore.)

Jim

johnwilliamson062
January 3, 2012, 12:30 AM
For the guys who don't like this, i would like to know your average age and how many guns you plan to buy in the next 50 years.

I am a few days short of 27.
My guess is I will buy 2 guns a year for the rest of my life(about 50 years statistically), although some will get sold along the way.

I have no interest in a blued gun outside of my C&R collectibles. Bluing is a dated process that doesn't come close to the modern finishes. I don't want to carry it in the woods.

A plastic stock is cheaper and lighter. If I want to add weight I can add weight where I want until I get up to the weight of a wood stock(to help with felt recoil. If I am just hunting I can leave it as is. If i want to get serious with a plastic stock I can fill it with something that will make it rigid, or as savage long said toss it and be happy you didn't pay $200 for a stock that still wasn't a target stock.

There hasn't been a moment in my lifetime where the features you say are missing have been the best available from a utilitarian standpoint. Welcome to the era of guns developed for generation Glock. Whether they be rifles, revolvers, or next up double barrel shotguns, we will be buying them in droves.

Don't worry, we will pick up deals on old blued walnut antiques at Estate auctions :)

upstate81
January 3, 2012, 12:44 AM
Like where your coming from JW

Abel
January 3, 2012, 05:56 AM
Don't worry, we will pick up deals on old blued walnut antiques at Estate auctions

LOL!

TX Hunter
January 3, 2012, 07:40 AM
Able, have you ever seen GUN BLAST give a bad review on anything ?

B.L.E.
January 3, 2012, 08:04 AM
A beautiful finish on a walnut stock and a beautiful polished blued reciever and barrel don't add one iota to the function of a rifle yet those things rachet up the manufacturing costs of a rifle considerably.
It looks like the gun manufacturers are catering to the demands of the marketplace.

TX Hunter
January 3, 2012, 08:45 AM
Its not the finish i am concerned with. I personaly love my controlled feed Ruger M77 MK 2, It wears a Leupold scope and is an accurate quality rifle. I could have bought the cheapest crap on the shelf but i saved a little longer and got the best i could afford. I just dont like the generic rifles that are being made these days. I just hope that this dosnt end up being our only choice from RUGER.

BigMikey76
January 3, 2012, 08:55 AM
If you can save up $400 you can save up $900.

I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about other people's finances. Maybe the difference between $400 and $900 is small to you, but it is still more than twice as much. For some one who has to save for months or even a year or more to afford a $400 rifle, the idea of spending $900 is likely out of the question. As long as they function well, God bless the manufacturers for making their rifles affordable... the right to bear arms, after all, is not just for those who can spend a lot of money.

TX Hunter
January 3, 2012, 09:31 AM
If it took me a year to save up 400 dollars i would hit the pawn shops and buy a used gun. Probably a ski mask and gloves to go with it. Lol

BigMikey76
January 3, 2012, 09:50 AM
TX - If you put away 50 bucks a month, it takes 8 months to afford a $400 rifle. For someone on a tight budget (a lot more people in this stuation these days than there were 5 years ago) putting away 50 bucks a month is a stretch. $25 a month takes 16 months...

TX Hunter
January 3, 2012, 10:03 AM
I can understand, our economy really crapped out. Its our own fault too. The nafta sucking sound has left our Country in a state of poverty. I was just hoping that our firearms manufactures keep making the quality products that we have grown to love. If a generic product is all a person can afford to arm themself, im just glad that atleast they are armed. Our Country needs more good paying manufacturing jobs and less low paying service jobs.

Fargazer
January 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
I would be interested in seeing a comparison review between this and a comparable Savage rifle; in particular, I wonder how this new trigger will compare to Savage's Accutrigger.

Orion6
January 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think a lot of you miss the point - not all hunters like wood and polish.

Some guys just starting out, getting back in, or just wanting an all-purpose tank of a rifle like an option like this.

As long as it's well made (looks to be) and doesn't have the issues the Rem 770 has had what is the problem?

If you hunt in brush or rocky areas a gun like this is better in my opinion because you don't cry every time you scratch it. I used to have a 700 BDL and I felt like I was carrying the baby Jesus through the woods because I worried about it getting dinged up.

Why get up in arms over another economical choice? They still make the model 77 in blued steel and walnut.

I just don't get the meltdown and cries of "sellout" when a company is providing an alternative. I'd much rather take a chance on a Ruger than some of the other cheap options. I can almost guarantee that Savage will start putting out Edges with an Accutrigger now.

Abel
January 3, 2012, 11:56 AM
You know, there have been some high dollar rifles that were sub-standard. I don't know why this criticism is focused on sub-$400 rifles. I have seen recalls and factory screw ups on high end Kimbers, Remingtons, and Marlins. Sub-standard quality is not a function that is isolated to lower priced items.

Skans
January 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
What does it do that a Savage 110 can't do?

Abel
January 3, 2012, 12:16 PM
What does it do that a Savage 110 can't do?

Well, Ruger gets zero dollars and zero cents every time a 110 sells. So, first and foremost over the Savage 110, The American provides Ruger with money, as opposed to providing it to Savage.

PDW292
January 3, 2012, 12:37 PM
Gives consumers an economical option with the Ruger name tag.

jimbob86
January 3, 2012, 12:59 PM
There are, as we speak, quality rifles with decent glass already on them on a consignment rack near you ...... for less than $450. They are ready to shoot, and some may have accessories* with them. They probably don't have the chintzy plastic stock on them either.

*little brother picked up a Remmy 721 in .270 WIN in the fall of 2010 ..... with a Lyman loading tool, a couple hundred bullets and NIB W-W brass, primers ..... nice scope............. AND the the former owners load data.

$400 Tack Driver.

johnwilliamson062
January 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
quality rifles with decent glass already on them on a consignment rack near you
And if you are a new shooter, or just a hunter who isn't a gun guy, who is going to check that rifle out for you? You going to pay a gunsmith to give it a going over? There is an extra hundred dollars and I don't have a ton of confidence in any of my local smiths to begin with. Most people don't like to buy used things that contain explosions a few inches from their eye unless they know a lot about them.

HKFan9
January 3, 2012, 02:17 PM
For the guys who don't like this, i would like to know your average age and how many guns you plan to buy in the next 50 years.

I am 25... College educated with two degrees and working on a master.. paid my own way.. still paying on student loans. I work behind a gun counter and at a range.

I own ~50 firearms as of right now give or take. I have owned many more than that but started thinning the heard. Most of which were bought before I worked at the gun shop I work now. With student loans.. plus normal bills.. I probably pay more monthly in bills than most.

I save my change.. I have stocks.. I sell stuff on ebay.. I sell my guns I am not using on here. I reload ammo, I brew my own beer, and make my own wine. I cut coupons, I go to Sams Club. I drive a little car that is great on gas... not some huge truck that never gets anything put in the bed. I am lucky enough to have a G/F who enjoys shooting as much as I do. All of the few bucks I save doing this.. allows me to buy the guns I want... not the cheapest on the rack.

I buy about a gun a month on average maybe more.

The whole argument on needing affordable guns is pretty much irrelevant anyways. Ever think to checked out the used rack. There are much better made firearms selling for the same price if not cheaper than these junky economy grade rifles. Often times with a scope or sling.

And if you are a new shooter, or just a hunter who isn't a gun guy, who is going to check that rifle out for you? You going to pay a gunsmith to give it a going over? There is an extra hundred dollars. Most people don't like to buy used things that contain explosions a few inches from their eye unless they know a lot about them.

Maybe you need to find a better shop with a reputable gun smith that checks over the guns before they are bought in you can trust? Either way.. buy new junk... just leaves more deals out there for the rest of us.

Just in the last year or two I got used:
S&W Model 66-1 6'' - $399
S&W 617 no dash 6'' - $450
Walther pps 3 mags, 2 holsters - $450
Springfield Loaded custom grips and 5 mags - $500
Remington 700 LTR 6.8SPC w/ leupold bases and rings - $450
Remington 700 Tactical 6.8SPC w/ leupold bases and rings Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x scope.. 6.8 dies.. and 400 rounds of ammo - $575
(that tactical shoots 3/8MOA at the moment with 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter reloads.)
FNH FiveseveN LNIB - $750
Kahr PM9 w/ black coating - $450
Ruger M77 .308 Target - $250
H&K P7-PSP - $280 (this was a special deal)
Sako Forester .243 w/ leupold scope and Sako rings - $550

There is more I am forgetting as well.

I like new technology and old as well.. I own old Sako's that sit right next to a Kevlar stocked 700 LTR. M1 Grand sitting next to a BCM AR-15.

The problem I have with this rifle.. it was not designed to be "the best" or even "better than average". It was solely designed to be cheaper. How many corners can we cut to make this thing affordable to compete with the 770 and Axis... which are JUNK.. sorry if you don't like to hear it, but it is true.

You will be the first ones in the crowd to complain about how gun manufactures are not making "what they used to be" and wondering why old model 70's and Ruger tang safeties and such are "just so dang expensive now". You demand junk that's a low cost... you will get just that... junk.

jimbob86
January 3, 2012, 02:17 PM
Most people don't like to buy used things that contain explosions a few inches from their eye unless they know a lot about them.

Sounds like an education issue..... this being the Information Age and all, that is easily and cheaply rectified.

TX Hunter
January 3, 2012, 02:33 PM
HK Fan 9 Hello by the way im 39 years old, im a mechanical maintenance man in a paper mill. I dont have any set number of firearms i plan to buy in the future. If i do buy more firearms however it will be decided by quality of the firearm. In other words im not intrested in junk!

BigMikey76
January 3, 2012, 02:57 PM
HK - the list of gun purchases you posted came to about $5100 worth of guns - congratulations on being able to afford that kind of spending. I am 35, I also have two college degrees, as does my wife. We are both paying off loans, as well as car payments, mortgage, supporting a family, and taking care of her mother, who lives with us and is unable to contribute financially. If I spend more than $1000 on anything, it better have four wheels and get me to work so I can earn more money!
By the way, only 2 of the weapons you listed had prices that were the same as or lower than the price of some of the new and inexpensive offerings on the market, and one of them is marked as having been a special deal - not exactly proof that supports your position.

HKFan9
January 3, 2012, 03:02 PM
That is perfectly fine..TX Hunter. I don't spend money on much anything but firearms so I have a few. Some are basically put away, some get shot weekly.. and some get used for just hunting.

The way I look at it is... the gun pretty much is the cheapest part of the entire investment, even if you are "just a hunter".

I hunt.. but not a lot.. ill take off a few days for deer.. and a few days for small game and a few days for Turkey. I don't care if I don't shoot anything, there are enough hunters in my family that I get the meat no matter what.

What I do do... is shoot weekly if not multiply times a week at the range or private property. I can easily double what I spent on the gun.. just in ammo costs... very quickly.

You will spend a lot more in ammo than what the gun initially cost you if you enjoy shooting sports. Even for hunting, you have ammo costs, gear costs, scope and mounts cost, ect.

The gun... albeit more upfront cost.. generally is the cheapest part of the equation for me.

It is a buyers market right now.. there are tons of LNIB guns sitting on the used racks just begging to be bought up. Check the used gun forum here as well.

I listed the deals I bought.. you can tell I am more into handguns and such than hunting guns... I couldn't even begin to describe the deals I passed up and your average joe's deer rifle.

PDW292
January 3, 2012, 03:02 PM
@ BigMikey76, don't forget all with spare change.
I guess you guy's have spoken! Our opinions are wrong. From now on why don't you guys just tell the manufactures what to build, and we will buy your used guns when you are bored with them!

johnwilliamson062
January 3, 2012, 03:05 PM
You will be the first ones in the crowd to complain about how gun manufactures are not making "what they used to be" and wondering why old model 70's and Ruger tang safeties and such are "just so dang expensive now". You demand junk that's a low cost... you will get just that... junk.
You are right they aren't making what they used to be. Mass produced rifles have gone cheaper and cheaper. You want something quality you have to pay a custom maker a few grand for it. When you adjust for inflation that is about what my great grandfather was paying for his guns around the time he bought his first model T. I don't complain, I love it. For one thing "quality" as you are describing is mostly fit and finish, not utility. Look at the cost of a sub MOA gun 75 years ago. Now almost everyone on this board owns one, even if it came with a flimsy plastic stock. For three hundred dollars you can get a very high quality target stock and still be ahead of the cost 75 years ago. Look at the gun collections of some of the big time gun fans with lots of money a hundred years ago. They had maybe a dozen guns. Elvis had 40-50. I know a dozen or so people with that many or more.

Anyone who thinks cheap junk guns weren't being made, even by the major manufacturers, 50 years ago are kidding themselves anyways. Take a better look next time you are on gunbroker. Not everyone wants an heirloom all the time, and most don't want one any of the time.

Most people don't like to buy used things that contain explosions a few inches from their eye unless they know a lot about them.
there is a limited amount of time and a whole lot of people don't want to spend it looking at web pages about guns, especially if only making a single purchase. Even then you are going to need tools. Look at the revolver checkout guide. I think it is now something like 54 pages. How long does going through the whole thing take?

Face it, like a Glock, this gun does the job and probably just as reliably as anyone's cooper arms. Effective accuracy for most hunters probably isn't significantly different either. Not only that, but if I am out camping with only the simplest cleaning supplies and this thing gets wet I am not going to worry about it. First, it isn't blued, so it can probably go through a little abuse before rusting, and two if it does get a spot of rust on it I am not going to cry.

Sold my blued BDL in 222 b/c I was babying it.
Was much happier with a stainless savage, even if the receiver had "sharp edges."
Sold that when I needed to get down to one small safe, may replace it with one of these "American" rifles.

Sold my blued walnut stocked 11-87 after it received a scratch on the barrel and a couple dents in the stock from someone bumping it while I had it leaned against a tailgate while I took off my sweatshirt.
Much happier with a Mossberg w/ Marine coat which seems impervious to everything.

I don't want to worry about that crap when I am hunting just like I don't want to worry about how much sweat is on my carry gun when the thermometer hits 120.

I haven't seen anyone with experience with this gun comment on the stock. Savage has had very very cheap stocks on their rifles, but they have been very clear that is because the stock is fine for their hunter market and they expect target shooter to buy a higher priced shooter specific stock anyways, so they don't want to waste anyone's money. Think how it would cut own their market if they put a specific target stock on their rifles. I don't have any experience with the Tikka beyond almost everyone who has one being extremely happy with them.

Sometimes I wonder if you all are trying to pick up girls while you are hunting.

HKFan9
January 3, 2012, 03:07 PM
By the way, only 2 of the weapons you listed had prices that were the same as or lower than the price of some of the new and inexpensive offerings on the market, and one of them is marked as having been a special deal - not exactly proof that supports your position.

Take away the extra's I got with them.. the tax.. the background check... and see what your left with.

Even still if money is that tight.. why spend $350-$400 on a new Edge or 770 when I can even walk into the over priced local Gander Mountain.. and pick one up used for $150-$200, they even have the cheap re-branded scopes that originally come with them.

The guns I listed are of much greater value retail than a 770 or the liking.. Like I stated above.. I am not big on hunting rifles, so I pass most of the deals up. It is not hard to find a deal on a decent rifle, just need to open your eyes.

HKFan9
January 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
This took me all of 3 minutes to pull up... for those of you who are "too pressed for time" or just too lazy to go look at a used rack locally.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473744

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471445

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463538

http://www.armslist.com/posts/266790/winston-salem-rifles-for-sale--winchester-model-70-synthiec-30-06

http://www.armslist.com/posts/258632/oklahoma-rifles-for-sale--savage-model-110-30-06-with-scope

http://www.armslist.com/posts/266430/birmingham-alabama-rifles-for-sale--savage-270-win-

I have passed up better deals on hunting rifles, but this is what a quick 3 minute internet browse pulled up.

Locally I see Marlin 336's going for $150-$200 in good shape... which is the gun that has probably killed the most deer in this country.

BigMikey76
January 3, 2012, 03:26 PM
Sometimes I wonder if you all are trying to pick up girls while you are hunting.

Nice

johnwilliamson062
January 3, 2012, 03:57 PM
I am 25... College educated with two degrees and working on a master..
All that education and you don't see how this separates you from the majority of Rugers market(and US population in general)? I know a lot of hunters who could get fellowships to grad schools and still wouldn't make it through. I'll probably buy a new production K31 in 308 or nice Winchester 1895 in 30-06 before too long, but I probably won't be carrying it on many hunts and realize many can't buy one under any circumstances.

HKFan9
January 3, 2012, 04:20 PM
Right the guns I listed I spent about $5100 in over a two year period like I stated. That comes out to be about $7.00 a day. Your telling me you can't save that much a day? Sure you can mock me for my spare change and coupons, but I just had a 5 gallon carboy filled with change, took 2/3s of it to the change machine at my credit union and walked out with a little over $1000. Looks like I'll be buying a few or a new gun with that spare change yet again.

It is not hard to put away 7.00 away a day, most people are just too lazy. $7.00 is also based on my spending $5100 collecting guns, which "a new shooter", or "just a hunter" doesn't need to spend that much.

Art Eatman
January 3, 2012, 04:35 PM
Pretty much wandered away from the subject of Ruger's latest offering...