PDA

View Full Version : Rossi model 92, any good?

HALL,AUSTIN
January 1, 2012, 10:55 PM
I've been thinking about getting a rossi in .357 because it would go nicely with a 357 revolver. I think it would simplify buying, reloading, and carrying ammunition. It would be used to shoot targets and coyotes mainly. But would also be my trail rifle. Anyone who owns one have any input? It would be greatly appreciated.

gak
January 2, 2012, 02:50 AM
Yes, they're great. Light, slim, handy, accurate, reliable. They're based on the famous Winchester 1892 (92)with one of the smoothest and steongest actions made. Some are stiffer out of the box than others. If you've got the former, they're often rectifiable with a lot of dry levering or minor parts honing (see Steve Young below). You might do a search here and placeslike www.leverguns.com for a more comprehensive array of discussions.

Rossis have been available in different guises (importers) for 35+ years, starting with Interarms ("Pumas") late 70s-90s, Legacy Sports Int'l (LSI "Pumas") and EMF 90s-2008 (and Navy Arms - 2006), and lately just Rossi itself, now under Taurus/Braztech ownership. LSI distributorship brought with it (permanently) an ambiguous safety that's unfortunate (EMF heldout til '06), but rectifiable if bothers with a plug from 92 guru Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones - www.stevesgunz.com), who not only fixes, tunes and advises, but sells a $60 DIY DVD and kit for home-grown tune ups.

Some of the above "eras", and depending on the importer, saw periods of better wood, or imoroved sights (EMF) etc. It's been reported that 2000 meant retooling and subsequent guns supposedly were smoother out of the box. This seems, generally, to be true, but
most of my early models (Interarms) have been fine...so it still seems to sometimes to be a matter of individual guns' "personalities."

Like their forebearer Winchesters, Rossis--special forward-mount scout scoped guns aside--aren't set up optimally for traditional scopes. Since most of the Rossis out there are 16" to 20" carbines or short rifles, I find scoping these somewhat antithetical to the idea of a handy trail carbine anyway. If optics are critical for you, Marlin would be a better choice and are fine guns too.

Some Rossis handle shorter .38s out of the.357s better than others. This is another area that can helped by Mr. Young's tutorial.

arentol
January 2, 2012, 04:09 AM
I recently got one in .45 colt and took it out to shoot for the first time last week. It was a ton of fun. The bucksights take some getting used to, and I may end up moving to a peep sight, but aside from that it was a great shooter and very easy to use and shoot with reasonable accuracy.

The only complaint I had was that with hot loads it bruised my shoulder pretty good. With the regular .45 colts rounds (250 grains, tested out of 7.5 inch barrel at 860fps - 411 ft/lbs) I didn't even notice the recoil and definitely experienced no bruising from them. However, I tested 5 each of HSM bear-loads (325 grains, 1165fps - 963 ft/lbs) and Double Tap CESP (300 grains, 1325fps - 1170 ft/lbs), and they had some truly ridiculous kick. But then again, that is hunting level .44 magnum energy levels, so it isn't that big of a surprise. I am hoping to find a slip-on butt pad to help with this, but it is tough because of how small and curved the butt plate is.

That is not something you will need to worry about as much with .357 though.

az_imuth
January 2, 2012, 07:35 AM
I recently bought one in 38/357 and I love it. After a little break-in, the action is buttery smooth and the rifle is a blast to shoot. Shooting .38 through it feels like you're firing a .22, but the cans bounce a little higher when you hit them. My sights were dead-on with .38 right out of the box. For the money, it's a hard deal to beat.

My personal observation about the top-mounted safety. I had never seen one of these, but had read all about them on the internet. After all the negative remarks about the 'terribly obtrusive' safety, I was expecting something the size of a large wingnut that would need to be promptly removed before I could use the rifle in any satisfactory way. When I unboxed the rifle and saw the thing I almost laughed. It is actually VERY small, and in my eyes, unobtrusive. Now, not liking lawyered up safety mechanisms, I'll probably remove the thing before long, but I just wanted to state that it's no big deal and I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Best of luck to you...

FSJeeper
January 2, 2012, 08:09 AM
I have one in .45LC. It is my go to hog rifle. Fast handling, accurate, and a good value balance between value and quality. Mine came with exceptional wood.

As mentioned before, three things I would like to improve> Trigger, Smoothness of action (mine is rather tight), and some peep sights with a longer sight radius.

FSJeeper
January 2, 2012, 08:11 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the Hornady LeverReveolution bullet perform outstanding in this rifle. The .45LC needs hand loading to really appreciate it but the Hornady factory ammo is good.

gak
January 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
Regarding slip-on butt covers for stout (esp .44 and .45 as mentioned) loads, any you find listed for Win or clone 66, 73 and early 94 carbines should work for the 92 as well. They're out there, just can't recall who.

Rockhanger
January 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
I bought one used in the 90's. It has been very reliable&accurate.

Buckeye!
January 3, 2012, 09:25 PM
Strongest tube fed levergun design....

I have a Puma 357 mag. 16in barreled levergun...great Cartridge /Carbine combo...

joehorner
January 4, 2012, 03:08 PM
I recently got one with the brass receiver,20" octagon barrel,with a nice walnut stock. It is a blast to shoot and feeds well with 38+P TMJ ammo. I changed the sights to a green tube front and adjustable "ghost ring" rear. Also swapped out the plastic spring follower with a metal one. Just a fun rifle and very smooth action...................Joe

cmdc
January 4, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have four of them, a .357, a .44 and two in .45 Colt. They are all good shooters and everyone who sees them loves them. There's just something timeless and extremely appealing about lever-action rifles.

HALL,AUSTIN
January 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
If I get a decent sized tax return then I do believe that I will be getting one. They sound great but with my wedding coming up soon it will be a tight squeeze. Hopefully it will work as I hope.

cpt-t
January 22, 2012, 10:22 PM
AUSTIN: I have been shooting a stainless 92 rossis for 10 or 12 years. Mostlly for cowboy action shoots but I hunt with it to. This little rifle has been a real joy for me and I have shot it a lot. Mostly light cowboy loads but I have tried some Corbon loads that were not very comfortable. Unique and Win 231 with a 250 or 255 cast bullets seam to work very well. The action on mine is very smooth but just from use no work has been done to it. Oh I forgot to say mine is a 45 long colt but I guess you figured that out sorry. Mine is such a joy to carry holds 10 rounds and that old RNFP cast bullet is very effective you can hear it slap what you are shooting most of the time. To be real honest I don`t rember losing any thing I have shot with it. The sights are not as fine as on my marlin but I have shot the rossis more and with my eyes getting old at times I can see the block sights on the rossis better. I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I have mine. ken