PDA

View Full Version : S&W 4586 feeding issues

illinoimike
December 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
Just fired my recent purchase 4586 for the first time. I don't know why but the gun wanted to fire once without feeding the next round. Nothing was jammed or anything it just didn't want to feed the next round. It happened with every mag except once when it fired all 8 rounds without any issue.
I thought it may be limp wristed but if that was the problem, I can fix that but it didn't seem to matter. I fed it both winchester white box 230 grain and some reloads that were close to the winchester. Didn't matter what ammo, it wanted to fire one bullet at a time making me rack it back for every bullet.
I will tell you now that I had the hammer and the two pins out just learning the gun. I may not have assembled the small parts back the way they came out. I would like a bit of advice on this if possible.

Dan-O
December 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
Do you have more than one magazine? If it came with more than one mag, are all mags having issues feeding? If it just came with one mag.....and assuming it is a SW Factory mag and not a Pro Mag (junk), I would buy a new mag spring from Wolff.

I have a few Smith and Wesson 3rd Gen pistols, and mine reliably feeds anything, even empty cases.

jglsprings
December 31, 2011, 10:24 AM
Here is a URL to the Smith and Wesson forum - autoloaders section...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/

They can help you out. Like they say on Mythbusters:

These guys are experts.

varoadking
December 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
My want to change the recoil spring as well...

illinoimike
December 31, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys. It happens on every mag. The mags are all S&W with the yellow followers. They are very easy to load, unlike my kimber, colt and wilson combat mags. And the slide return spring isn't an 18 lb but something much lighter. What is the standard lb spring for these guns anyway?

varoadking
December 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
#17 recoil spring is standard, but I use a #20...

Walt Sherrill
December 31, 2011, 10:43 PM
A mag that is very easy to load may have a tired mag spring -- and because it's tired the mag isn't lifting the next round high enough to be caught by the slide...

Does it feed properly when hand cycling? (Probably won't.)

You may want to order several mag springs from Wolff Springs. If it turns out that springs aren't the problem, spares aren't a bad thing to have. (Note: the Wolff site will show you what standard recoil spring weights should be, too.)

www,gunsprings.com

Then, if you're still having problems -- you may not -- let the S&W Forum help you out. They are VERY helpful and knowledgeable.

Dan-O
January 1, 2012, 02:31 AM
Well, to be honest with you, all my 3rd gen mags are fairly easy to load as well. They def. do not have stiff springs like other manufacturers on the market.

Sorry to be so dense, but you do have more than one mag?

Just want to clarify because you say that "it happens on every mag"...but it's not clear if you have multiple mags, or it is the same mag every time that is giving you issues. If it is just one mag you own, then put a new Wolff mag spring in it. If it is multiple mags, then put a new recoil spring, along with new mag springs in your magazines. If it still doesn't cycle then see below:

If nothing else, you can always send it back to S&W.....as it is a 3rd gen S&W, and they will take care of you.

illinoimike
January 1, 2012, 05:09 AM
YES, I HAVE SEVERAL (3) S&W mags. Happens on all three. Hand racking the slide is just perfect, no issues. I took the liberty of ordering all new springs for the mags and gun. We'll see what happens then. If these guns can use the same return springs as my 1911's I can experiment with stiffer springs as I have a few on hand. Thank you for the great advice. The reason I bought the 4586 is the reputation smith has for being reliable. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Walt Sherrill
January 1, 2012, 08:28 AM
I don't think that a stiffer recoil spring is going to affect whether a round is being stripped form the mag, or not. If the spring wasn't strong enough, it would, most likely, start to strip a round, and just not chamber it.

And while recoil springs from other models may work in your gun, you might also get other performance problems that aren't easily predicted. Wait for the proper springs.

Sounds like a visit the the S&W Forum is appropriate. http://smith-wessonforum.com/