PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9c in shooting class

plasticeagle
December 30, 2011, 05:10 PM
As part of Mississippi's requirement for the Enhanced concealed carry permit, I participated in an NRA basic pistol class yesterday. I used a Ruger SR9c that I plan to use as my primary carry gun. Prior to the class, I had only run between 75 to 100 rounds through this pistol without any issues. I chose the pistol for its size, its reputation online and its trigger. The shooting portion of the class consisted of 45 or so practice rounds and 50 qualification rounds. I couldn't be happier with the way it performed. No stoppages of any kind.

Out of 20 participants, I scored the fourth highest with a 248 out of 250. The qualification consisted of 20 shots at 3 yds, 20 shots as 7 yds and 10 shots at 15 yds, all on the same silhouette target. Shots inside or touching the 8 ring counted 5 pts, touching or between the 7 & 8 ring scored 4 pts, and so on.

Observations:
I was noticeably more accurate with the longer 17 round magazine that comes with the pistol than with the shorter 10 round magazine. I used the longer mag for the entire qualification.

The two perfect 250 scores in the class were two gentlemen beside me. Both shot Smith .357s with 38 special wadcutter ammo. A 249 was scored by another gentleman with a 1911.

Another revolver in the class experienced a malfunction. The problem turned out the be an aluminum cased Blaser round with a rim that was twice as thick as normal. Lesson....Always visually check carry ammo when you load it.

A few came to the class with Ruger .380 LCPs. These are great pocket carry guns, but these were a liability when trying to qualify at the longer ranges. Everyone passed, but they could have had higher scores with more appropriate guns.

One gentleman with a LCP had multiple stoppages. He admitted that he had only shot the gun a few times before the class. He may have also been limpwristing a bit, because the problems seemed to be more prevelant toward the end of the day and all of the LCP owners said it was a handful to hang on to.

Overall, I enjoyed the class and was impressed that I could keep up with the revolver guys using a compact auto. I never considered myself a great shot and have to give a lot of the credit to the pistol.

Now I have to scrape up the money for a good carry holster.

540EdgeFlyer
December 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
Sounds like it was an enjoyable class. My son has the SR9c, and has nothing but good things to say about it. I find it interesting that Ruger isn't really seen as one of the "high end" pistols, when it seems that all of their offerings are Fantastic performers, and made in the USA. That's good old fashioned Value.

Congrats on your pistol, and your score.... makes me think I need another Ruger!:D

KMAX
December 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
Ruger is not considered high-end because it is not high-priced. A good firearm doesn't have to be expensive, but price seems to matter to a lot of people (not me). I like Rugers and am considering buying a SR9c myself. Almost bought one a few months ago but bought a different gun which I thought I liked better. Sold it and bought a S&W 642 I do like. Now I am thinking about the SR9c also.

Lateck
December 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
plasticeagle;
Congrats.... Yes, the SR9c is a great little gun. It's my favorite :D

Shoot safe,

Lateck,

stickhauler
December 31, 2011, 01:46 AM
It depends on what method of carry you want to use, if you choose strong-side outside the waistband carry, the Don Hume JIT holster works well.

LockedBreech
December 31, 2011, 02:32 AM
I second Don Hume. They make a number of sweet holsters that aren't very pricey, and the JIT looks very nice. minimalist, easy to conceal.

ROCK6
December 31, 2011, 05:01 AM
My wife really liked the feel of the SR9c so I picked one up for an early Christmas present before I deployed to Afghanistan. Here favorite IWB is Crossbreed and I'll be ordering one for her, but she's been using a Galco belt slide that I think was a Glock version. Other than magazine prices, it's been perfect. She's already put about 300 rounds through it and just before I had to leave, I added a couple hundred rounds of 9mm ball and a couple boxes of Speer Gold Dots and loaded up her 5 mags with ball for practice. She told me she was going to take the kids shooting this week so she could get more trigger time. I need to have her run through a 100 rounds or so of the Speer to see how it functions, but she's not planning on carrying it until she gets a decent holster.

It's good to hear it did well on the qualification course and accuracy sounds just like my wife's. This is her first "real" caliber pistol as she's been carrying either a Kel-Tec P3AT or her Bersa Thunder in .380.

ROCK6

LockedBreech
December 31, 2011, 06:51 AM
My wife really liked the feel of the SR9c so I picked one up for an early Christmas present before I deployed to Afghanistan. Here favorite IWB is Crossbreed and I'll be ordering one for her, but she's been using a Galco belt slide that I think was a Glock version. Other than magazine prices, it's been perfect. She's already put about 300 rounds through it and just before I had to leave, I added a couple hundred rounds of 9mm ball and a couple boxes of Speer Gold Dots and loaded up her 5 mags with ball for practice. She told me she was going to take the kids shooting this week so she could get more trigger time. I need to have her run through a 100 rounds or so of the Speer to see how it functions, but she's not planning on carrying it until she gets a decent holster.

It's good to hear it did well on the qualification course and accuracy sounds just like my wife's. This is her first "real" caliber pistol as she's been carrying either a Kel-Tec P3AT or her Bersa Thunder in .380.

ROCK6

Stay safe. Thank you.

Sgt.Fathead
December 31, 2011, 07:02 AM
When selecting carry guns, I did a lot of research online, via magazines, etc., chatted with shooting friends and rented and test fired a half dozen guns to narrow the field. In the end, I chose the S&W M&P 9 Compact first and the Ruger SR9C second. My wife, whom I wanted to carry the same make, model and caliber as me for a variety of reasons, could not get a good grip on the M&P and was far more proficient 'right out of the box" with the Ruger.

We both carry the SR9C and yes, the 17 round mag with grip extension is the mag that affords the best hold on the pistol but! with practice, I have found the ten round with pinkie extension floorplate conceals well and is a great shooter, too. I carry in what I have been misidentifying here on the forums as a Galco but is indeed the venerable Crossbreed Supertuck, IWB, 4-5 o'clock, strong side with two back-up 17 round mags (with grip extensions) weak side 8-9 o'clock, in a no name nylon mag carrier.

I really like some Blade-Tech and Raven concealment offerings and as satisfied as I am with the CB, might investigate those in the future. We ordered and obtained two complete sets of night sights from Brownell's (yet to be installed), got mags on sale from Bud's and practice often! Still trying to find a good solution for the wife for body carry but for now she purse carries.

Good luck, good shooting and stay safe.

Sgt.Fathead
December 31, 2011, 07:05 AM
p.s. My pistol has 2220 rounds of Winchester, Federal, S&B and Rem UMC through it without a single FTF/FTE, etc. The wife's slightly less. The Ruger SR9C is a GREAT value gun and I'm really pleased we went with it.