PDA

View Full Version : My First Revolver... now what is it?

Oak '58
November 22, 2000, 12:45 AM
The folks here in Colorado recently voted to close the evil, nasty "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE". So of course I had to go & jump right through it before the new law takes effect. I had been thinking about adding a .357 wheelgun to my collection of auto-loaders, so off I went to the Tanner show last Saturday.

Since I didn't have a lot of cash, I was looking for a used gun, and as I said, I wanted to pull it through that loophole from a private owner. That limited the selection quite a bit. Lots of private sales, but only a few .357's and a couple of them looked like they had been shot to death. I found a Taurus with a nice bright bore & it also felt good & solid as far as the cylinder lockup goes. The owner was a very nice, older gentleman & we talked quite a bit, but he couldn't remember what model the gun is. So (finally) I'm hoping some of you guys will be able to tell me what I bought! :eek:

It's blued, with a 4" ribbed/vented barrel, exposed hammer, 6-shot cylinder, & adjustable rear sight (W & E). I don't know what the original grip was - it's been replaced with a Hogue Monogrip. Side plate is held on with 3 screws, & the ejector rod is enclosed. I'm not sure what other info would be of use in trying to ID this pistol. I would feel like a complete newbie again if it weren't for all the info I've picked up by reading the posts here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this gun. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it feels solid & looks good, I don't think I'll regret the $250 I spent.
(If it helps, the SN is JE300xxx)

denfoote
November 22, 2000, 03:54 AM
If it is a .357, it might be an old M66, or a M65. I had one, and it sounds about right.:)
Maybe you can ID it at http://www.taurususa.com

dreadnaught
November 22, 2000, 08:58 AM
I have a Taurus 66. It does not have the vent rib barrel (6"). I gave $200 for it 12 years ago at Wally World. I have been offered $400 for it. No sale. Best revolver I had. No contest.

Oak '58
November 22, 2000, 03:26 PM
Thanks, guys.

denfoote - yeah, I had looked around the Taurus site, & I kinda came to the same conclusion. The new model 65 looks pretty close to mine, except for the lack of the heavier, ribbed barrel. I'm still hoping somebody who's really into the Taurus revolvers will have more info.

dreadnaught - I'm certainly glad to hear your input. I THINK that I bought a great gun for the price, but I've got a lot to learn about revolvers. It sure feels solid, & only has a couple of minor scratches in an otherwise beautiful finish.

Thanks again! Anybody else familiar with Taurus? I may post this over on the Taurus board, but there's a lot more traffic here.

Guy B. Meredith
November 23, 2000, 01:02 AM
Oak '58,

Depending on whether you trust the June 1998 issue of Shooting Times or a Taurus catalog circa '97 (sent to me by the moderator of the CompuServe Firearms forum when I was looking for my first handgun), you have either a 669 (per ST) or 689 (per Taurus). Of course the models change all the time, so they could both be correct within their time frame.

In the Taurus catalog the 669 and 689 differ only in that the 689 has the vented rib. Both come in 4" and 6 1/2", stainless and blue. I rather liked the 689.

Oak '58
November 23, 2000, 02:23 AM
Thanks, Guy. That's the sort of info I was looking for. Unless I find evidence to the contrary, I'll call it a 689. Now, unless it storms this weekend, I'll find out how it shoots! Thanks again.

nimasaur
September 17, 2005, 12:45 PM
i am an owner of a 4" vent rib taurus. the 689 are stainless from what i read you have a 669 that is blued. taurus puts a modle stamp on the in side of the frame that is visable when the cylinder is opened.

mgdavis
September 17, 2005, 07:09 PM
If you look around the Taurus site some more you should be able to find a page where you enter your serial number, and it gives you back the model and date(?) of manufacture.

Majic
September 17, 2005, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a 689. I had one back in the 1980s and sold it to a friend. The 669 was the same gun with a solid rib. I don't think they even made a stainless steel model configured that way.

justshootin
September 17, 2005, 08:47 PM
yes, open the cylinder and look fer numbers.
it should be there

:)

dgludwig
September 17, 2005, 10:18 PM
This thread is almost five years old. Oak '58 has probably traded that ole Taurus in for a nice Smith or Ruger by now ( just kidding ; I like the Taurus I own and would buy another in a heartbeat).

SouthpawShootr
September 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
Yikes! Another lazarus thread. 5 years. :eek:

Webleymkv
September 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
Its Aaaallllliiiiiiiivvvvvvveeeeeee! Hahahahahahahahahahah!