PDA

View Full Version : WASR style Draco handgun

bustersmaster
December 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
I was looking at these at the last gunshow I went to, kind of curious about the practicality of shooting an AK style gun offhand. Just wondering if anyone has one or shot one ? Is it something an average shooter can master or is it something only a Rambo-type should even consider? I was thinking it might look good next to my WASR rifle or possibly my Norinco SKS, but I don't want to invest in a safe queen or something I would probably just resell due to not being practical to shoot. I don't suppose it was an actual "relic" before Century Arms got ahold of the idea, but historical authenticity is not high on my list of requirements. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheapshooter
December 29, 2011, 12:26 AM
It has nothing to do with Curio & Relic firearms! Maybe your question belongs under the handgun forums somewhere.
They are also not even close to a "safe Queen". A pristine, high quility firearm that is in too nice of condition to shoot!
I think they would be a fun range toy, but for practical use they're strictly "Rambo" in my opinion.
Wouldn't mind having one though. To go along with my other "Rambo" guns!:D

TXAZ
December 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
(agree this probably needs to move to the handgun forum)

I have a Drako and enjoy shooting it, and have seen others with one. It is a pistol, not an AK. Noisy as heck with the 10.5" barrel, but ammo is not that expensive - 7.62 x 39. I'm not aware of another semi-auto centerfire handgun that lets you empty a 100 round mag in about 15 seconds, as all the AK mags work.

The biggest disadvantage I see is it's relatively heavy, particularly with a 30 or 100 round magazine. I understand it's not legal to add a front grip, but have seen others use the 30 round mag as an effective forward grip. On the flipside, the weight helps stabilize shots, but holding it out singlehandedly will either build or tire your arm muscles. :)

bustersmaster
December 29, 2011, 08:49 PM
I wasn't too sure where to put this topic, but my recollection was that the action on the gun I had seen was identical to a WASR, so I'm not sure what that makes it.
My description of a "safe queen" is something that doesn't get shot much. If this gun is too painful to shoot, I'm thinking it probably wouldn't get shot much. Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just thought someone might have an opinion.

Cheapshooter
December 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
No feathers ruffled here. Just thought you might get better answers, and opinions in the handgun forums. Hard to tell, It's really a hybred between AK, and handgun.
I don't think you will have a problem with recoil, unless you are very recoil shy.

bustersmaster
January 1, 2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks TXAZ and Cheapshooter for your opinions. I looked at another one of these Saturday at the local gunshow. I think I'll put one on my "list" after I get my pesky property taxes paid.