PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory Gi/Mil Spec 45ACP 1911

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have narrowed my choices down after some searching and im looking more for a good accurate full sized target 1911 pistol. For the price range of $500-700 at most, i think the Springfield Gi Mil Spec or Mil Spec 45ACP would be a good choice. I plan on getting one with the lowered ejection port and beveled mag well as well which i can't remember if thats only on the GI Mil Spec models or the Mil Spec as well.
Who owns one of these pistols and or has some experience with them that can give me there honest opinion on them and how they shoot.

nate45
December 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
I own a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec PB9108LP. All in all its a good, accurate, reliable pistol. I haven't had any malfunctions (knock on wood) with mine so far, I've owned in a couple of years. It has good fit and finish for the price they are offered at.

Back it the day the features it has, high profile sights, beveled mag well, polished feed ramp, throated barrel, and lowered and flared ejection port; were the things most often done to a Series 70 Colt to enhance it. The only thing I plan on adding, is a flat main sprig housing and long trigger and thats only because of personal preference. It already has everything one needs for a good combat 1911. Things like adjustable sights, extended thumb safeties, etc are nice, but not essential. If those things do interest you consider the loaded model.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii296/nate45auto/100_0974.jpg
Above is my Mil-Spec with my Sig STX, they aren't really comparable, as the STX is in the same league as the TRP, but its the only pic I had on hand. I was very pleased the first time I took my Mil-Spec to the range, it ate a 100 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of HP ammo with out a hiccup and its been doing it ever since.

lamarw
December 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
In your price range, you might also want to compare the Reminton R1 and some of its upgraded versions. I just picked my new one up today. I got home too late with it to clean and test fire it yet.

I am pleased with the deal I got and the gun appearance. You also receive a one time free shipping along with cleaning and inspection of the gun in the first year of ownership. The Mfg. claims a seven day turn around. The gun is stamped made in Ilion, NY.

I also like the looks of the Springfield and the Ruger. Good Luck with your choice. Please wish me the same. It is hard to score a new mil spec 1911 for $550.00. :)

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
Is there higher capacity magazines available for these

j2flan
December 28, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have a great sample of the Mil-Spec, the 3 dot sights are a plus for these old eyes, it just turned 8yrs old with a little over 19,000 rounds and no issues. The slide to frame fit is still tight. It cost the least of the six 1911s I shoot, and in my hands, not much differance in accuracy. The park. finish has had enough oil that it is slick and shinny. I really like that gun:)

Kreyzhorse
December 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Out of those two you want the Mil-Spec. While I don't own one, I do own a TRP and you can't go wrong with Springfield. They also have some of the best customer service in the industry so if you do have any problems, they will take care of it for you.

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Is the Mil Spec model the one with the lowered ejection port and beveled magazine well?

j2flan
December 28, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yes,

nate45
December 28, 2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, the Mil-Spec has the 3-dot sights, lowered ejection port, etc it is designated PB9108LP by Springfield Armory.

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
ok thanks. Can you get higher capacity magazines anywhere for these?

nate45
December 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
All 1911 style pistols with the standard size grip, will except seven and eight round magazines that fit flush, if they have a base pad they slightly protrude. There are 10 round mags and even drums that hold 25-40 rounds available, but of course they extend way beyond the bottom of the mag well.

UZO
December 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
Great gun... you'll love it!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/1911-Grips004.jpg

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
I would need extended magazines for the Mil Spec 45ACP which has the beveled magazine well. Where can i get bigger mags for it?

nate45
December 28, 2011, 09:36 PM
What size capacity do you want? Just google '1911 extended Magazine', or '1911 10 round' or fill in the blank, they are available at many places on the net.

Incidentally, a beveled magazine well is only to make fast insertion of a magazine easier, it has nothing to do with the capacity magazine one will except.

boostedtt91
December 28, 2011, 10:49 PM
15 rounds +
I wasn't sure if all 1911 magazines are the same for every model which im assuming they are?

The day comes that i need to carry it with me away from home or whatnot, i would like to be able to carry as much as possible.

KC Rob
December 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
OK, you lost me there. You do understand that the 1911 is a single stack gun right? It is not a "wonder 9" with the ability to hold 15+ rounds, it was designed for a 7 round mag and flush fit 8 rounds mags are also available and work well. 10 round mags extend out of the mag well significantly. There is such a thing as a "wide body" version of the 1911 that is made by a few manufacturers that will accept double stack mags, but is mostly configured as a "race" or "competition" gun. That is a whole other animal than what you are talking about.

I have a GI Compact and a Full-size Mil-Spec. The MS has the lowered and flared ejection port and beveled mag well and the sights are much better than the tiny GI sights. Both have been great pistols for me, no problems. One interesting thing about my GI compact is that it has a lowered, but not flared, ejection port. It looks factory (I bought it used). Not sure if this was standard on the compacts or what. I just went to the S/A website to look at their pic of the GI compact and noticed the GI is no longer listed...I had heard they were disco'ing that model, guess it is true.

Marquezj16
December 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
Another satisfied Milspec owner here. During the first few trips to the range, the trigger was a little rough. After a few hundred rounds it has smoothed out quite a bit. It is quite accurate and functions 100% with factory and reloads in FMJ-RN, FMJ-FN, JHP in 185, 200, and 230 gr variety. So yeah it works. It is a good solid 1911. :D

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76900&stc=1&d=1325136504

bird_dog
December 29, 2011, 08:23 AM
I had the SA mil-spec. I loved it. Great gun, very reliable, and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. I put thousands of rounds through it before selling it to a friend who promised he'd sell it back to me if I ever wanted it.

Recently, I wanted it back, but now he won't let it go. It's become his favorite gun.

I then went hunting for another bargain 1911 and came home with the Para Ordnance GI Expert (ESP package). Also a nice gun, with a few more fun additions like fiber-optic sights, etc. Also beveled mag-well and lowered ejection ports and a nice black finish.

I'd highly recommend the mil-spec.

blume357
December 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
Mine does what it is supposed to do... 1911 is not my favorite... but it tosses big hunks of lead well.

Don P
December 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
Mil-Spec is the one with the lowered and flared ejection port, throated barrel,flared mag well, better sights than the G.I.. The G.I. does not have these features. Heres what I did to my Mil-Spec.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468882

Logs
December 29, 2011, 03:18 PM
I had one and traded for a Para. Liked the sites on the Para

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 04:07 PM
yes i understand that 1911's are single stack magazines and aren't specifically designed with high capacity magazines in mind. Im just i know there is bigger magazines out there and i just wanted to make sure there available for this gun. I know it will extend well below the gun which is fine.

I did see the drums that are available which says for Colt's which im guessing should fit all other 1911's?

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 04:09 PM
Now i just need to be able to find one. Pretty much every place i have looked nobody has any of the Mil Spec SS models. Cabelas says there supposed to be having one come in this week so hopefully thats true for $729

scottl
December 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
729 for a Mil-Spec?That's Loaded and Range Officer pricing.I would pass.

nate45
December 29, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'll second that opinion, you should be able to find one for much less that $729.

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thats pretty much the price of everywhere i looked, but nobody actually has any.
Does anyone know where i can find one? This is definitely the gun i want, but it seems nobody can get me one

nate45
December 29, 2011, 07:26 PM
Just search the net, there are quite a few of them on Guns America (http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/663/2/Guns/Pistols/Springfield-Armory-Pistols/1911-Type.htm) right now.

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
Isn't that a auction site pretty much though? Id feel safer buying from a actual company or gun store. I have searched high and low and nobody seems to have one or is able to get one. I have called all the local gun shops and nobody says that can get one

KC Rob
December 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
Buds guns is selling new ones for $575 free shipping and has used ones in the low $400's. I know I only paid around $500 for mine (around 10 years ago admittedly). Are you looking for the stainless or park'ed version? I see Buds has the SS version for $650 but they are out of stock but a used SS is $519.

*Edit* Just noticed all the used ones are sold, but they pop up on there regularly, if you keep an eye on the sight you will find a good deal pretty quickly.

nate45
December 29, 2011, 08:30 PM
They do have some auctions, but most of the listers are FFL dealers. Many are offering brand new, unfired pistols with return policies.

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
Im looking for the SS version. I have checked out buds but they only have the parkerized version.

Maybe ill check out that Gun America site then again if i can't find one from a gun shop

KC Rob
December 29, 2011, 09:20 PM
There are also a couple on Gunbroker.com, they appear to be dealers, not individuals, if that makes you feel better about buying through an auction site.

boostedtt91
December 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
yeah i don't like Gunbroker cause pretty much everyone only accepts Money Orders which i definitely feel safe doing. Ill only buy through them if they'll accept paypal

Jammer Six
December 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
I own two milspecs.

There is a contradiction in your requirements: a "target" 1911 implies target sights, and a carry 1911 implies fixed sights.

The milspec is a weapon, and has fixed sights.

scottl
December 30, 2011, 01:56 AM
Ill only buy through them if they'll accept paypal
You can't use Paypal to pay for firearms.You can pay for firearm accesories all day long with it tho.

TJx
December 30, 2011, 08:28 AM
Just get a Paypal Mastercard Debit card

Captains1911
December 30, 2011, 08:43 AM
I own a GI. I had to send it back 2 times before it would function properly. Now that it functions its an enjoyable range gun. I just wanted a traditional bare bones 1911A1, and it fills that role nicely.

HKGuns
December 30, 2011, 10:41 AM
For the money it is hard to beat the Milspec. Mine has been a flawless shooter, I did have an issue with the rear sight falling off, but SA took care of that very quickly, a simple email was all it took for them to ship me the correctly fitted sight for my dovetail. No muss no fuss.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p465354837-5.jpg

boostedtt91
December 31, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Mil Spec is definitely the gun i want, but finding one is gonna be the hard part. Basically GunsAmerica there is 1 for sale for a reasonable price of $650 and thats pretty much the only place i have found any. I tried everywhere pretty much and nobody can guarentee me to get one, just say they can order it but don't know when or if they'll get it.

scottl
December 31, 2011, 06:07 PM
Here's 19 of them.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=0&Timeframe=0&Keywords=springfield+Mil+Spec&Cat=3026&Items=50

boostedtt91
December 31, 2011, 09:21 PM
im looking for the SS version, not the parkerized one. I see 2 on there but there asking alittle more than there worth especially since ill have to pay shipping and fees to get it transferred.

Pretty much GunBroker and GunsAmerica is the only place i have found any. Between those 2 sites there is a total of 3 for sale. Only place i have found them after searching everywhere