PDA

View Full Version : Mitchel's mausers

Garand Fan
December 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
Guys,
While surfing the web for Mauser info, I found several adds for Mitchel's Mausers. The rifles look really nice but they all appeared to have chromed bolt assemblies. All metel parts are blued on the originals that I've seen.Any idea why they offer what appears to be a beautiful, factory new looking rifle and then chrome the bolts?
Thanks,
Garand Fan

benogil
December 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
High prices, suspect authenticity on the K series. That being said, from what I understand they do have an exclusive deal for the newly manufactured M24-47.
The Mosin snipers are regarded as repro's being sold at sniper prices. Their usual business practice. Caveat emptor.

dogtown tom
December 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mitchell's Mausers have absolutely, hands down, no doubt about it the worst reputation for puffery, fakery and misrepesentation of any firearm seller in the country.

Google their name or visit any Mauser forum and you can read for yourself.

madcratebuilder
December 28, 2011, 01:09 PM
Some of the MM rifles are pretty nice. The problem with MM is the deceptive advertising and the extreme pricing.:eek:

I've lost count of the number of MM rifles I have seen listed on Gunbroker with guys tiring to get their investment back. i watch the listing be re-listed time after time and then the price starts dropping. It sells when it gets to real world prices, about half of what they paid.

GregM
December 31, 2011, 02:47 PM
What everyone else has already said!

The bolts aren't actually chrome, they buff the snot out of them to get the russian-capture electropencil markings off them and don't bother trying to refinish them. If you can find one cheap, buy it and shoot the snot out of it, but don't expect it to be worth anything to a collector. I've got my eye on one a buddy has for cheap, planning on drilling it for a LSR scope setup....ain't gonna dare do that to a G.I. bringback.

GregM

chiefr
December 31, 2011, 04:06 PM
Seems all of us agree on Mitchells. They are well advertised in all gun rags however, like all previous posters say; they are far overpriced. I too question authenticity. I have read very few positives posts of them.

Aguila Blanca
December 31, 2011, 04:09 PM
But ... but ... but ... they come with a Certificate of Authenticity! What more could you ask?

GregM
December 31, 2011, 05:04 PM
They are authentic k98 mausers, and authentic war trophies.....of the Russians. Every one I've ever had hands on had been "Russianized" before being "Mitchellized". There's nothing wrong with a Russian capture, as a shooter they can be worked into a very accurate rifle. Some day even Russian captures will "probably" be considered somewhat collectible, but Mitchell's most likely will still be hated! My $.02.

GregM

Opinated
January 1, 2012, 04:37 PM
Help cure a bit of my ignorance. I see the Mitchell's ads. They never mention the caliber. What is probably the caliber of their offerings?

GregM
January 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
German and Yugoslav mausers are 8mm Mauser.

GregM

Ignition Override
January 3, 2012, 03:26 AM
Their corporate attorneys have crafted the language which has allegedly kept them one 'rch' (let's say a hair;)) from losing a lawsuit.
We often see one at local gun shows, even in the Mitchell's box.

Off the Mitchell subject here, but if anybody wants to consider a really good Mauser which was built with a notch setting plus three aperture sight settings, check the Spanish FR8, which is a carbine, and the barrel is in NATO 7.62/.308.

Many have excellent bores (i.e. both of mine), and the actions are the original 8mm Mauser.
There was an excellent discussion on 7.62 vs. .308 pressures at "Surplusrifle", which clears up many misconceptions about 'cup' versus 'psi' etc.

Cheapshooter
January 3, 2012, 03:15 PM
But wait...Order today and we'll include.......

Buy yourself a good, authentically used milsurp Mauser, or Mosin Nagant. If you want something "new production" Remington, Ruger, Weatherby, Savage, and others make them everyday!

James K
January 3, 2012, 11:05 PM
They described Yugo M48's as German rifles used in WWII. Of course the war ended in 1945, but what the heck is three years?

Jim

Cheapshooter
January 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
They described Yugo M48's as German rifles used in WWII. Of course the war ended in 1945, but what the heck is three years?

To the Ron Popeil of supposed Milsurps, nothing!
Surprised they don't have infomercials, or a spot on QVC!!!

medalguy
January 4, 2012, 10:04 PM
Order in the next ten minutes and we'll DOUBLE your order.

Mitchell's do make good shooters. My son wanted a 98 to shoot so I found a deal at one of the local shows and bought it. It does shoot pretty well when you consider all the reworking they've been through. But I didn't get the "original" box with the gun. Think that'll make the gun worth less? :rolleyes:

FairWarning
January 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Many people love to hate them. :o

I can understand why with all the fakery and posturing, but I have no doubt their guns would make fantastic shooters. The shooting experience is not diminshed by having a restored, non-matching gun, not in the slightest. The big question is are they worth the inflated price? I wouldn't buy one straight from them, but if I could get one second hand online for a steal? You bet. I'm not enough of a purist snob to refuse to enjoy one as a shooter.

A big thing to consider is future resale. You'd get much more from an authentic gun years from now when dealing with collectors in the know, but the average buyer would still be impressed by the clean looking, good shooting Mitchells. Oh well, you'd pay a fortune now for a highly matching gun anyway, so it may even out somewhat. I am not a glass case collector, I shoot everything I own.

The Mitchell's "Certificate of Authenticity" is pure nonsense. There is an ad on gunbroker now talking about an all matching MM, but the bolt is "Force" matched. Why not just call it "Fake" matched? :o

FrederickDav
January 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
I bought a Yugo 48 MM from a local gun store many years ago. This was way before I was able to get on the internet so I didn't know about their reputation. It is a great shooter. Oh yes, it came with the certificate!

kilimanjaro
January 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
If they would spend a few hours more on each piece, and really return it to armory condition, they'd hold their value a lot better. As they come, you have to reblue the entire thing for appearance.

Navy joe
January 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Walking out of a gun store with a K-31 and 60 rounds of ammo all for $130 now seems so wrong. Sadly, even those days are past us. I almost drank the Mitchell kool-aid when I was younger and dumberer.