PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a .357 lever gun.

hulley
December 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, I've had an itch for a lever action for some time now and I'm picking up a S&W 686+ in the next week or so and would like a lever action in the same caliber to go with it. I dont know much about them so pardon the dumb questions. I'm gonna use this for plinking and probably hog hunting, possibly deer but I doubt it.

I would like to be able to attach a sling and install a scope.

Also, I reload both .38 spl and .357 mag and was wondering if both would work.

I've seen the Henrys/Marlins/Rossi but I dont know about their quality.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

9mm1033
December 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
I just traded my Marlin 1894C calibrated in 38/357 magnum for a Henry lever action 22. I can tell you someone is getting a very nice operating and accurate 38/357 lever rifle. I was very happy with my Marlin. I even installed a nice ghost ring sight and fiber optic on the front. The only reason I traded down was the cost difference between buying 38 ammo vs. 22.

kraigwy
December 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
I really like my Marlin 1894 in 38/357, it meets your requirements but is also accurage, and just plain fun.

Having said that, I haven't tried the others, they may be just as good, or again they could be better, I only know about the Marlin.

dieselbeef
December 20, 2011, 01:30 PM
my henry is the chit!!

JACK308
December 20, 2011, 01:43 PM
Henery is nice but cost alot more! then a Marlin

new_scopeshooter
December 20, 2011, 01:53 PM
i like my marlin 1894c.... that would be my choice for another pistol cartrige lever gun!!!!!!!

Deja vu
December 20, 2011, 01:56 PM
I love marlins but I would get one of the pre-Remington Marlins. "Remlins" tend to have some quality and some junk.

You will be happy with your 357 magnum rifles. Most of them can shoot 38 specials. Even if they dont you can put a 38 special load in a 357 magnum brass and it should feed well. When I do this I typically put 2/10s of a grain more powder in, this tends (in my experience) to make the loads about the same. The higher case capacity of the 357s need a little more powder to make the same load as a 38 special. I hope that is understandable.

I have taken lots of different game with my 357 magnum marlins. Every thing from tree rats to mule deer. For bigger game you will want 158+ grain bullets moving as fast as you can (safely) and be in fairly close range and make sure you have a good shot.

I like my 16.5 inch barrel 357 magnum much more than my 22 inch barrel. I would guess that some where between 16 and 20 inches more barrel makes bullets go slower because there is very little difference between my 16.5 and my 22 inch barrel as far as speed and the little difference typically leans toward the shorter barrel.

here is a link showing barrel length and bullet speed http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html you will see that most of the time 16 inches is the fastest over the longer 18 inch barrels. I think this is true of my guns as well.

have fun and enjoy :D

zippy13
December 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
The only reason I traded down was the cost difference between buying 38 ammo vs. 22.
Try reloading with home casts, the cost is about the same.

Deja vu
December 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
The only reason I traded down was the cost difference between buying 38 ammo vs. 22.
Try reloading with home casts, the cost is about the same.

I have been thinking about doing this, how hard is it? I have been reloading with Hornady and Barnes bullets so I think I could save a lot of money by casting.

hulley
December 20, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll check out the Marlin. I've been thinking of lead cast bullits for a little while. I work in the service end of a BMW dealership and I can get all the lead wheel weights I want. Just not sure if I want to deall with all the lead. :D

DeeDubya
December 20, 2011, 03:02 PM
I've got a Rossi R92 in stainless. No complaints. It's a very robust, light weight rifle that can take some punishment. Great truck or ATV rifle. I sometimes carry mine on the tractor. I get some good shots at varmints as they don't pay much attention to a tractor.

SR420
December 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
I like my Winchester 94 Trapper Carbine :)

http://www.athenswater.com/images/94Trapper.jpg

RGPM1A
December 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
Browning Model 92 in 357 - best lever gun I ever had or have. But be advised they won't feed 38 spl reliably.

EdInk
December 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
I love my Henry. The new Marlns are not so great.

SteelChickenShooter
December 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
The looks, fit & finish are superb on my Henry 357Mag.
I was surprised to see how far off the rear sight was out of the box. However, loosen the screw and gently tapping the sight brought it into alignment. In my case, I seem to think the 38s don't hit at the same elevation as the 357Mags. This was not my expected result. I thought I could zero the rifle with the mags for hunting, but yet shoot the 38s for steel plates and bowling pins. My first experience seems to indicate that I need to decide which round to use and let it go at that.
That brings me to another solution: I set up the Henry for 38's for fun shooting and then bought the Ruger bolt action model 77/357. I then zeroed that rifle for hunting with Corbon Hunter 200gr hard cast bullets.
So it worked out in my case to have two 357 rifles covering my needs. The Henry is a fine looking attractive well made rifle. Not something to knock around and get all banged up (well maybe it is if it showed honest wear and signs of being well used). The Ruger on the other hand is made for hunting in my world. It is plain synthetic and stainless steel. It would need less care compared to the Henry. So I do enjoy the Henry for plinking even though I am not a cowboy shooter. I understand the Henry is better suited for hunting instead of plinking or cowbot shooting. But that's what I have and I enjoy them both in their respective rolls.

k511
December 20, 2011, 07:07 PM
Also a big fan of the winchester 94 here. cant say enough good things... that said the Henry's are the cats pajamas IMO if you can afford one.

hulley
December 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
@steelchickenshooter. I think the Henrys are beautiful rifles and would love to have one for plinking, but I want something that I could use/abuse and not feel too bad (even though I would). I too am interested in the Ruger 77/357 but its down on the list right now.

ScotchMan
December 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm in the same boat. There don't seem to be a lot of options out there other than those listed in the OP. Personally I'm probably going to pick up one of the new Ruger 77/357 bolt actions because I'm not super impressed with any of the lever offerings.

SteelChickenShooter
December 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
Twisting the subject, please be advised the stock Ruger 357 magazine was defective, but they did mail me a working replacement. I really do like the lever action Henry. But in this case, it is not drilled and tapped for a scope. No big deal for plinking at close range. Open sights and lever action can be a lot of good fun shooting. I also wanted a 357 for hunting. For my needs I found adding the Ruger synthetic / stainless in 357 mag just made good sense. The Leupold 2-7 scope I have on that is perfect for my locations along with the Corbon Hunter ammo. That same scope is not easily mounted to the Henry like it is on the Ruger.

bamaranger
December 22, 2011, 01:35 AM
Here's a plug for a Marlin. I have an early one. Recent models may or may not have quality issues, but my old "no safety" model is a delight.

Crunchy Frog
December 22, 2011, 07:03 PM
I started shooting cowboy action about two years ago. Before shooting my first match I knew I wanted to shoot .38-.357 because I'd been reloading it for years (didn't have dies for .45 Colt, .44-40 or whatever). I looked at a couple of Marlin and '92s in gunshops and had a pretty good idea of what I would eventually purchase.

I contacted the match director for my local club who advise me not to buy anything before coming out to a match and "test driving" different typed of guns. At the match there were a variety of rifles and I probably used five different ones that day.

I noticed that the match director and several other shooters were using 1873 Winchesters (Uberti reproductions of course). My thought was that the 1892 was newer than the 1873 (or the mechanically similar 1866) so it must be an improvement. I used a '92 in the first stage that I shot and got a feel for it.

A little later I borrowed the match director's '73 that had been worked over by a cowboy gunsmith. WOW. Incredibly smooth action and (as it it matters, and perhaps it does) a really great looking gun.

I saved my quarters until I could afford a '73 that was worked over a little by Cody Conagher. It took me a year to save up (I don't do credit cards) and it is the most expensive firearm I have ever purchased. It is an absolute blast to shoot and looks great.

The Uberti 1873 is my choice.

Rich Mc
December 22, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have an H&R single shot - tight groups at 100 yards, just no rapid firing. I have an awesome 158 gr XTP load that cuts bullet holes at 100 yards. Can't wait to drop a deer or two with it.

I'd like a semi-auto in .357. Just for fun.

AH.74
December 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
I lucked out and found a Marlin 1894C from someone on this forum.

It's a 2008 build and the quality and craftsmanship are completely top-notch. It is an excellent shooter.