PDA

View Full Version : Miroku Charles Daly O/U 20 Gauge (SS-SK Choke)

Foxmann250
December 16, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new here but I got some questions.

I wanted to find out how much my Miroku Charles Daly Over Under 20 Gauge shotgun is worth. I bought it off a guy and have had it for awhile. It's in pretty good shape, with only some minor oxidization and dings which I quickly wiped down with some Remington gun oil to prevent from spreading.

I am looking to sell this soon. I just had a minor mishap with my 870 Wingmaster and need a new barrel. With barrels being nearly the price of a full gun these days, I have been looking into getting a Wingmaster Super Mag. But that's for another thread.

Any idea of what I may be able to get for my Miroku?

I can give more info if needed...

oregunner
December 16, 2011, 07:51 PM
CD Field grade, 90% condition in 20 gauge $660 in my latest Blue Book. Venture grade, 26" barrels, choked Sk/Sk, 90% $550. Mark

oneounceload
December 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
A lot will depend on those dings and minor oxidations

26" barrels will bring less than longer barrels

Have pics?

Foxmann250
December 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
Ok thanks! I'll have to do some research to see if its field or venture grade. Thanks for the help! :D

Ya I'll take some pics 2nite and post em.

Foxmann250
December 18, 2011, 01:28 AM
Miroku Pics

Foxmann250
December 18, 2011, 01:35 AM
Here's some wear...

Slugo
December 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
it's in good condition maybe a B-. You have to remember, the CD Miroku guns were imported by and distributed by Kassner Firearms, located right here in Harrisburg, PA. They went out of business two years ago. Now, the realization that there are little to no parts left. Parts are not interchangeable with Browning (Miroku built) Citoris. Therefore, break something, including a simple spring, and now you have a large and worthless paperweight.

I recently saw a LNIB CD Broaway trap gun that was selling for $700 bucks in a local gun shop. Too bad, they were really nice guns...

PJR
December 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
Therefore, break something, including a simple spring, and now you have a large and worthless paperweight.
Miroku used various configurations through its production history in its guns and those for Daly. Parts for them are available.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Mirokusprings.html

As well, a reasonably competent shotgun smith would be able to make parts or fit current Browning spares into a Daly ir required.

Slugo
December 18, 2011, 10:36 AM
believe me, many old CD/M parts are next to impossible to find. There are too many other older guns that are much more serviceable. Two of Michael Kassnar's gunsmiths are friends of mine. Both still looking for full time employment... :(

Slugo
December 18, 2011, 10:46 AM
Charles Daly shotguns

Q: I'm considering purchasing a used Charles Daly side-by-side shotgun. The gun seems well balanced, fits well, and looks good. I'm having difficulty finding out about Daly shotguns, what do you think of them?

A: Before WW II, shotguns imported by Charles Daly were made in Germany, and were highly regarded. Starting sometime in the 1950's, shotguns marked with the Charles Daly name and made by Miroku in Japan, the same company that now builds the Browning Citori O/U and S/S shotguns, appeared. I have owned two Miroku made Daly shotguns, an O/U and a S/S, and both were excellent. At some point (I believe in the 1970's, but I am not sure) Charles Daly apparently fell on hard times and lost Miroku as a supplier. For a time, I did not see new Daly shotguns in the marketplace. Charles Daly subsequently found a Spanish gunmaker to build guns for them. Unfortunately, I have no first hand knowledge about these Spanish made Charles Daly shotguns.

Foxmann250
December 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hmmm... I saw Cabela's selling this exact gun (only in near mint condition) for about $1100. I was shocked. Doing some research and asking around I've found this gun to be between $600-700. Does anyone know if this is a good number? Low or high?

I'd like to try and trade this in for a something I actually would use. I've only put maybe 10 shots through this gun. It's become more of a collectors item to me than a useful firearm.

oneounceload
December 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
While similar to Brownings, Mirokus have never held the price like a Browning, and especially as a CD.
Figure 30% less than an equivalent Browning as a general idea - but every market is different and what guns go for in my area may be different than yours

If Cabela's is selling it 1100, then I would trade it in there, as they typically buy for 2/3 of what they sell it for -that would be 7-800

OkieCruffler
December 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
I've been looking at alot of CD's lately $450 to 600 is pretty common. I'm still leaning toward Ithica, but if CD turns up and I have brass in pocket I'll probably bite.

Foxmann250
December 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
This is one that (of course) is in mint condition, but Cabela's is asking $1,999

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Charles-Daly-Miroku-20-GA/1324596.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3Dmiroku%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=miroku

Only differences being the choke: Cabela's = Modified Mine = SS-SK (Skeet)

I think mine may only be a 2 3/4 in chamber tho...

Does anyone know if it would be cost effective to take it in and have it cleaned up? or should I just sell or trade it as is?

Foxmann250
December 21, 2011, 01:37 AM
Took it into Cabelas today. They gun library guy could not find the exact model in his book, but the closest thing he found he gave me a quote that in the condition it is in (95-98%) it would be worth around $600. Thanks guys.

I think I'll ask for around $500

BigJimP
December 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
Retail value in my area for your gun is $ 300 - $ 400 probably .../ its not a popular gun - its going to be hard to sell / especially in Skeet-Skeet ....parts issues, etc....

but you can probably trade it for something else - and get a little more value out of it ...depending on what you want / if Cabelas put the value at $ 600, I'm assuming they'd probably offer you about $ 300 as a trade in / and personally, I think that's a smart option...and since they typically have a lot of decent inventory on used guns / you can apply that to something else that you want.

Foxmann250
December 22, 2011, 06:03 AM
Well I've been doing some research on this gun. Cabelas knew it was a Superior II and said it was about $600 blue book. But they could not tell my why the engraving on the bottom said BC Model 700. After doing some looking online, there are only a few guns that actually had the Model 700 engraving. These were very early makes of the Superior II by Miroku. One guy even told me that he knew a bit about these guns and that I should start asking at around $850 cuz it is a rare engraving.

I'm torn right now... I dont want to ask too much but I'm getting mixed reviews... I'd be happy to swap this directly for a Wingmaster Super Mag tho. Even if my Miroku is worth a couple hundred more.

Slugo
December 22, 2011, 06:14 AM
rare engraving, now I've heard everything about a vintage CD! It's a $400 gun period. Ask that and I'm sure you will move it in a reasonable amount of time...

jaguarxk120
December 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
Keep the Miroku and get a barrel from the barrel exchange or Corsons barrel.

The exchange has a 28" plain mod. barrel for $150, w/rib $165.

Look around at different site for barrels and you may find a goo deal, also check Gunsinternational they have a section for barrels.

FlyFish
December 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
I have Miroku CDs in 12, 20, 28, and .410. They are beautifully balanced guns that I enjoy shooting every bit as much as the Belgian Superposeds that I also have. That said, as others have noted, they have never been worth big money - I tend to think of them as the best bargains out there in quality O/U shotguns. I have shot the bejeesus out of mine on the skeet field and they remain tight after many years.

Your gun has engraving exactly like my 20 ga and 28 ga. My understanding is that the engraving is the standard field grade and is not particularly rare - in fact, most of the Mirokus that I see have that engraving. My 12 and .410 have the Superior Grade engraving and it is quite different. I happen to think the field grade is a very nice style of engraving and it's usually well executed, just not rare. I would expect to see that gun on the rack at my local gun shop here in New England at a price of around $600.

The leaf springs in Dalys are susceptible to breakage, but the last time I looked they were generally available. As I recall, Brownells had them in stock not too long ago. I've owned and shot my 20 ga., which was the first one I acquired, for about 40 years and other than replacing one leaf spring on that gun I've never had any issues with any of them after many, many thousands of rounds fired.

oneounceload
December 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
Keep the Miroku and get a barrel from the barrel exchange or Corsons barrel.Barrels then have to be fitted to the gun - and that requires a smith who knows what he is doing - and the cost starts to go up from there

jaguarxk120
December 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
Thought that the Remington 870 barrels were kind of a swap in swap out type of thing. And they interchanged with no problems at all. I know Mossberg makes replacement barrels for the 870.

jaguarxk120
December 22, 2011, 02:07 PM
The Remington owners manual states that all 870 barrels are interchangeable.

The two that are not are the Special Field and the Super Magnum.

oneounceload
December 22, 2011, 03:03 PM
Except the OP is talking about a Charles Daly over under, not an 870....;)

jaguarxk120
December 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
He needs a barrel for his 870 and found the new barrel pricey. A used barrel could be just the thing he needs with out selling the CD Miroku

oregunner
December 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
The OP is talking about selling his Charles Daley, because his 870 barrel broke and he wants to finance either a new 870 or a different barrel. That sounds on topic to me. Mark

Foxmann250
December 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hey guys,

Ya I dont ever use the Miroku so it would just be sitting in my safe. I'd rather get something I can use for hunting. Sounds like the "Model 700" marking isnt that rare? I was reading online that only the earliest models had them and the Cabelas guy couldnt even find that listing in his blue book... this is why I felt it was pretty uncommon.

If not, I guess the guns prob only worth what they told me, bout $600. And with no one wanting to pay full price, would a $500 price tag be good or too high/low?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Josh

FlyFish
December 22, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sounds like the "Model 700" marking isnt that rare? I was reading online that only the earliest models had them and the Cabelas guy couldnt even find that listing in his blue book... this is why I felt it was pretty uncommon.

There was so much variability in markings and serial numbers with the Miroku Dalys (some of it discussed here (http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Charles_Daly_serialnumbers.htm)) that it's hard to say if the Model 700 marking adds any value. In general, though, these types of uncommon markings - if indeed it is uncommon - are variations that are of value only to serious collectors, and I doubt there are any serious collectors of Miroku Dalys. I think the $500 you're thinking of is a fair price for both buyer and seller.

Foxmann250
December 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
Ok I'll start there then at that price! Thanks for the help!