PDA

View Full Version : Saiga or Kel-Tec SU-16B?

datboiryan
December 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
Some of you may have seen my thread earlier in the week and I've done a bit of searching on here about the Saiga but couldn't as much about the Kel-Tec. I know the Saiga will be reliable and have read that right now since the prices are low, it's a very good buy which is why I'm leaning towards that. Not to mention it's cheaper than the Kel-Tec. I'm looking at both in .223 and would just like to see if anyone has any information on the Kel-Tec before I make my decision.

Thanks

the rifleer
December 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
I don't actually have either, but reliability from what I've read is about the same. Id go with the siaga because it is quite a bit less expensive and seems like it would last longer because of its metal construction.

I want a SU-16, but I have trouble with the price for what it is.

Big Shrek
December 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
Google Saiga problems and read up on it.
Make sure everything it does, you can handle.

Same for the Keltec.

and also go to GoldenLoki and read up on the nifty tech tips that are good for almost any firearm :)

Me, I prefer Keltec because it is an American gun MFR with a solid warranty.
If I can help it, I don't send any money overseas.

chack
December 15, 2011, 10:41 PM
The Keltec wins because of the magazine availability. I think the Saiga is a fine rifle though.

raftman
December 16, 2011, 12:11 AM
I would go Saiga. The Saiga costs less, is simpler, and generally regarded as the more reliable rifle, in particularly more likely to work with even the cheapest of ammo (steel-cased). The Kel-Tec is not without its advantages, it's lighter, and (as has been mentioned) mags are much cheaper and more available. But probably the biggest reason to go Saiga is that it will likely prove to be more durable in the long term compared with the Kel-Tec. I like Kel-Tec, and even carry a Kel-Tec pistol but they simply don't seem to make a product that's built to last in a way that would compare to a Saiga.

Stonefly_Soldier
December 16, 2011, 04:08 AM
i'd check out the saiga in 5.45... similar ballistics if not better ballistics than 223. mags are easily available(ak-74 mags)... and ammo is about half the cost ($150 for 1080 rds)..
My buddy just bought the kel-tec and he seems to like it. I just don't think the build quality is there to make it a $350-450 rifle. Where as the saigas are a steal at 299 and can be converted to the ak style grip down the line if you want... classicarms.us has a great selection and a good price..