PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Requirements

KayNyne
December 15, 2011, 09:11 AM
I was just wondering what the requirements are for acquiring one of these permits. Right now i live in IL and am under 21 so no matter what it is out of the question for me, but if IL ever does come to their senses i was curious about the requirements.

Thanks,
Trevor

Don P
December 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
Here is a link to www.handgunlaw.us. Just click on a state and all the info you need is there.

AirForceShooter
December 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
There is no national standard.
IF and I mean IF Illinois ever allowed concealed carry it would have it's own rules and regulations.

But work like carzy to get Concealed Carry in your state.

AFS

wally626
December 15, 2011, 11:00 PM
Illinois will obviously have their own rules if they pass conceal carry. In most states that have shall issue, the basic requirements are the same as for buying a gun, no felonies, forced mental health confinements, current indictments etc. In addition many states add requirements that are stricter such as no misdemeanor drug convictions in the last 5 years, things of that nature. In addition some states have training requirements that vary from none like Indiana to simple safety courses like Virginia to more elaborate systems like Texas that have marksmanship qualifications. In may issue states where the permit is up to the discretion of a local judge or sheriff the requirements may be even less, and in some may issues states or parts of states the judges and sheriffs are very free at handing out permits in others it is nearly impossible to get one.

hermannr
December 20, 2011, 05:34 PM
Your real hope is one of the federal law suits will hit gold and nullify the IL state law...in which case, you would not need a permit to OC or CC. (until they passed some other law restricting carry)

You are young, one of the two will probably happen especially if people want to finally make carry a priority when they vote to elect their state officials (including the governor)

loose_holster_dan
December 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
best advice - move. i spent 9 months there, and got out as soon as i could.

jimbob86
December 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
As someone admonished me for encouraging folk to "vote with their feet" awhile back.....

"Evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

You can run away from the problem, you can ignore the problem, or you can join the fight:

http://isra.org/

Join. They are winning.

MTT TL
December 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yep. Your first step is to move to a different state. Just about any state is better than IL for concealed carry, although some are better than others.