PDA

View Full Version : XD .45 ...or Beretta PX4 .45?

Phantom8
December 10, 2011, 09:34 PM
Does anyone own or have fired either/both of these guns? If you had to choose between these two, which would it be?... and please state your reasons. I know there are some obvious differences but I am more interested in people's first hand experience regarding shooter's impression, the gun's accuracy, reliability, recoil, etc.. btw, this would mainly be used as a home self-defense gun and an occasional trip to the range. I know both are fine choices, but that's the problem!.. 'can't seem to narrow it down yet :) . Any info/insight would be great...thanks!

INMY01TA
December 10, 2011, 10:27 PM
I own the XD45 and it's probably my favorite gun. No way I'd ever trade it for a Beretta.

bigghoss
December 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
for me the only deciding factor is the trigger mechanism. since the XD is striker fired I'd get that one. also the xd holds more rounds.

I'm not sure if the storm is available in a decock only version but that would be the only way I would consider buying one.

Phantom8
December 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
The PX4 .45 has a slide safety/decocker. Just curious, Bigghoss, why you prefer a striker fire over the hammer? ...is one necessarily "better" than the other? And as far as round capacity goes... unfortunately, i live in California... so that's not even in the equation for me :(

(*_*)
December 10, 2011, 11:59 PM
I used to own a .45 version of the PX4, was a very nice gun. Im on the opposite end of the striker fire coin in that I perfer the rotation and hit of a hammer on my guns currently. I started out with all glocks and over the years migrated to other platforms. I think I like DA/SA triggers best of all for some reason. Maybe it feels safer to me when carrying. Anyway go shoot them both and then decide, put at least 50 rounds through each. And remember you can always evolve and change. It takes many years of shooting and experimentation to pick out what works best and by then there will be a whole new batch of innovation.

EDIT: think of guns like cars, no mater what research you do in the end the test drives can make or break it.

TX_QtPi
December 11, 2011, 03:36 AM
EDIT: think of guns like cars, no mater what research you do in the end the test drives can make or break it.

^^best answer....

I was at the same point you were, XD or PX... after shooting both I went with the Beretta. JMO, but I liked the trigger pull a lot more on the PX4. Also, it seemed the recoil was a little more tame on the Beretta. So that, along with the change-able back straps made it the winner in my buying experience.

But in the end of it you should trust your pocketbook, your hands and your grouping to decide whats best for you.

LockedBreech
December 11, 2011, 04:30 AM
PX4 all the way. Mine has been an absolutely bulletproof platform. Amazing guns.

No denigration to the XD45, which is a fine gun it its own right.

Nordeste
December 11, 2011, 09:46 AM
PX4, hands down. I haven't shot the .45 versions of these pistols, but I owned a PX4F in 9mm and have shot an XD Tactical in 9mm. The XD is a pistol you can't go wrong with, that's true, but the trigger and recoil are better handled in the Beretta, and it'll be as much or more reliable. Put on top that you have a manual safety in case you want it, and for me that makes her the winner.

confirmed shooter
December 11, 2011, 10:05 AM
you have decided on the 45 so i think you should look at the FN, which is made here in the good old usa, not italy, or the eastern block.

FairWarning
December 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
Based on renting both at the range, I preferred the XD45 for sure. It was easier for me to hold tight groups without much effort and felt great in the hand. Both guns are a bit blocky for my taste, but the PX4 even moreso.

My solution for a full sized .45 would be either the XDM .45 or the FN45.

verdun59
December 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
I thought the OP wanted an opinion about the two guns in question not a discourse on countries of origin. By the way I believe FN's HQ is in Belgium, and the Eastern Block is no more just like the Austria-Hungarian Empire.

ScotchMan
December 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
My experience with my PX4 .45.

The magazines are ridiculously difficult to load. They do NOT loosen up if you leave them loaded, or with use, as far as I could tell. You could probably get lighter springs from Wolff.

Everyone who fired mine experienced "trigger sting." You can find this if you Google it, but most people report it with the .40 version. It is a product of the trigger not curving enough at the bottom so your finger gets pinched between the trigger and trigger guard. The first shot is fine, but the recoil shifts your finger down a bit and the following shots pinch you. Impossible to detect in the store.

The bottom of the gun had a rough edge right where it would touch my skin when carrying. Minor concern but none of my other guns have it.

I traded mine in on a HK USPc .45 and am happy. The Beretta was a good gun for sure, I liked the trigger a lot, and it fired everything I put through it, even reloads I later learned were sized wrong and the primers weren't seated properly. Easiest gun to disassemble I've ever used, just like a Glock but without pulling the trigger. And I love the looks of it. But for the above reasons I would go with the XD if I were you, though I don't have experience with it personally.

Phantom8
December 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
hahaha.... well, I am not opposed to buying "American"... if it is a reliable and accurate gun of the bunch! I have thought about FNP 45 but have not had the chance to shoot it, mainly because I can not find a range around here that carries one. It seems like a fine choice too!...Thanks for all the replies!...this is exactly what I need to hear, people's take on what they do and don't like about either gun (XD or PX4)

overkill0084
December 11, 2011, 11:50 AM
I own a XD40SC. It's a decent gun. Well made, reliable and more accurate than it's typically given credit for. That said, it's the only striker fired gun I own. I grew up in a revolver-centric world. Due to that, I prefer my semis with hammers. Of the two you mention, I would gravitate toward the PX4.
Since I also like metal frames, I would probably look at the Stoeger Cougar series of pistols. They are the previous version of Beretta pistols that are now made in Turkey with Beretta's tooling. I have heard that they are, in fact, owned by Beretta as well, but I haven't verified that. They share many of the same features of the PX4, but on a metal frame. Bonus: They are a screaming bargain as well.
Either of your options will serve you well.

Water-Man
December 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm curious as to why you haven't considered the M&P, or have you?

MLeake
December 11, 2011, 01:18 PM
FN is based in Belgium, but the FNP line have been made near Columbia, SC and the FNX line in Fredericksburg, VA. Whereas Springfield imports the XD from Croatia, and the PX4 is made in Gardone, Italy.

So, if buying from American workers matters....

But the S&W M&P45 is made in the USA, by an American owned company.

FWIW, I own PX4's in 9 and 40; I owned FNX pistols in 9 and 40, but like the Beretta triggers better. I haven't shot an XD. I own M&P pistols in 45, and have to qualify annually with M&P9's for work.

Of the lot, I prefer the M&P pistols. I have a 45c IWB as I type.

Rugerismisticness
December 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
My opinions, take em with salt;

There are different ways that each pistol is better than the other. The XDm45 is better for duty; it's more reliable, more accurate, stronger, and has excellent capacity in any right. The triggers are both excellent, but completely different. I myself like the PX4 trigger in an SA/DA configuration. The PX4 is a bit more fun to shoot in my opinions, the recoil is "less" and feels just plain different with the rotating locking mechanism. Most people, myself included, find that the PX4 45ACP is extremely ammo sensitive. I think the rotating barrel might have something to do with it, but it really liked those faster 185gr bullets (185gr+P handloads did the best). The 9mm PX4, which I also had at an earlier date, wasn't near as sensitive.

Phantom8
December 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
I have thought about the M&P45... but somehow, I wasn't totally thrilled with the trigger and the ergos on the grip seemed somewhat "bigger" than the PX4 to me ( I have smaller hands). Fine shooting gun though.

MLeake
December 11, 2011, 04:19 PM
The M&P has three grips that can be easily switched on the frame. I think most ship with the medium backstrap in place. You might try the small before you decide the gun is too big.

The trigger is easily modified with Apex kits (as I have done with mine), but will also break in nicely after several hundred rounds (as is the case with the guns at work).

But you may just not like the M&P, which can happen.