PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or...

Pond, James Pond
December 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
... is it my Glock?

I've been to the range with my Glock about 5 times now. Would have been more, but moving home takes up time and money.

Still almost every time I've been there, I've had at one failure to fire, and I've had to rack the slide to clear the round and then have stared at the round thinking... "hmm, so are you going to go off now and scare the **** out of me?"

Is it me, the gun or the ammo?

It has only been failures to fire, the ammo is always the same: the club's Russian-made Barnaul 9mm Luger FMJ. I tend to have a very firm grip on the gun: probably more than is needed, so I don't think my wrist is limp.

As far as I know the only internal alterations this gun has had are a longer slide release lever, a long mag release and a lighter trigger.

It's the ammo, isn't it?
Is it the ammo?
Please say it's the ammo...:o

excelerater
December 10, 2011, 03:26 PM
try some real ammo and see what happens

Usually cheap russian ammo gives shabby results
and is DIRTY as &^$$@#

khegglie
December 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
^^^^ concur; change that ammo!

WVsig
December 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
How was the trigger lightened?

What lbs striker spring is in the gun?

Kreyzhorse
December 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'd think ammo.

MidwestRookie
December 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
Another vote for the terrible third-world ammo..

RockRiverWhisper
December 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
Check the hammer spring Alot of times people will changes the hammer spring to lighting the trigger. This will cause miss fire in all ammo

flightline
December 10, 2011, 04:03 PM
Another vote for the terrible third-world ammo..

By definition, Russia is second world

Pond, James Pond
December 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
@ WV Sig

No idea, I'm afraid. Bought the gun second hand. However, it was from a Police shooting instructor, so I'd hope he did it properly.

@ Rock River Whisper

Is there a hammer spring in a Glock? It's striker-fire. Is there part of a strikerfire pistol that is typically called the hammer spring? If so, where is it, please?

Merad
December 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that limp wristing can't cause a failure to fire (but I'm no expert).

Do the rounds that fail to go boom show a solid indentation in the primer? If they seem to be only lightly dented it could be a problem with the gun, but I'd bet it's just the ammo.

Scorch
December 10, 2011, 05:01 PM
No, sorry, it's you.

There, someone had to say it!

Terry A
December 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'd bet a Glock (:eek:) that it's the ammo. Almost impossible for it to be the pistol.

RockRiverWhisper
December 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
sorry james, bad termanology and bad spelling, I am still stuck on 1911, striker spring that should do it. Some of my guns will fire anything some will not fire hard primes but some have very light triggers and or not for self defence

Pond, James Pond
December 10, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification, RRW!

@ Merad

They have a dent. Don't know if it is the normal depth or not: brass flies everywhere!! The times I've left it for a minute or so before trying that round again, it has fired on the second attempt.

arch308
December 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's gotta be the ammo!

RockRiverWhisper
December 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
On one of the 10mm some of the primmers I use will not fire but it is a light hammer spring that helps turn the trigger way down. I would not count on it in a bind If you know what I mean but it shots good

RC20
December 10, 2011, 07:26 PM
try some real ammo and see what happens

Usually cheap russian ammo gives shabby results
and is DIRTY as &^$$@#

I have fired a lot of Russian ammo in my 5.56, as well as my Sig. Its decent stuff by enlarge.

The issue smacks of a mucked up striker (not sure why he would think a police officer who modified it himself would do it right).

Before you keep dissing Russian ammo, keep in mind it Russia that gets us to the Space Station (and keeps it supplied). that's what is called real rocket science.

orionengnr
December 10, 2011, 08:55 PM
The times I've left it for a minute or so before trying that round again, it has fired on the second attempt.
I am thinking that this evidence points more toward the pistol than the ammo...

RockRiverWhisper
December 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
Compare the primers to another gun same make and model that will tell you. If it fires on the second strike its the gun

jhenry
December 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
If it is bad ammo folks, other people at the range are going to be having issues with it as well. Do they? If they are not, and Mr. Pond IS then it is the gun. If they ARE, and Mr. Pond is as well, it is the ammo.

No Russian ammo I have ever fired, and it has been a considerable amount, has had issues with bad primers. I have shot cleaner ammo, and I have shot more accurate ammo, but it has always gone boom.

I have however shot some Pakistani 303 surplus that had several pretty serious hangfires.

Stonefly_Soldier
December 10, 2011, 10:18 PM
hows the dimple in the primer... compare it with previous shots (it could be a light strike)

Dnite91
December 10, 2011, 10:40 PM
^agreed check that. if not out of the normal try some different ammo. i don't think i know of anyone who has had firing problems with a glock and it not be the ammo

(*_*)
December 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
If someone has played with the internals all bets are off. Try replacing the ammo with plane old walmart brand Remington or Winchester... If it keeps happening the next thing I would do is take the slide apart and inspect everything. Replace all the springs with stock, they are cheep. Also maybe the firing pin is made of titanium and actually wore down a little.

Edit: also glocks DONT like to run with lots of oil. They have very little internal friction by design. It is conceivable that too much viscosity from oil and years of built up residue near the firing pin, or the safety plunger could slow things enough internally for light strikes.

Pond, James Pond
December 11, 2011, 04:01 AM
@RC20

The reason I was fairly confident about the abilities of the police officer, was that he is the Prefecture's shooting instructor, and so probably knows a bit more.

I believe the gun was used in some IPSC, so I doubt changes would have been made that could risk misfires in a match, but you never know...

Others have now started to question the striker assembly. I'm not too concerned about opening that up, as long as it is fairly easy and does not require specific tools.

Recommendations/precautions, anyone?

AndyWest
December 11, 2011, 04:12 AM
Please, PLEASE change the ammo. It's surely not your grip. 9mm is super cheap so take advantage and buy a few boxes of better-than-average rounds and see how it makes your Glock smile :)

Pond, James Pond
December 11, 2011, 05:22 AM
I probably will change the ammo, at least to see how it goes. It is just very convenient to turn up and have everything in situ: they've seen my licence before, and I shoot their stuff on site: no ledgers to complete!

I may buy some Fiocchi: that seems to be cheapish to buy.

Hal
December 11, 2011, 05:37 AM
Still almost every time I've been there, I've had at one failure to fire, and I've had to rack the slide to clear the round and then have stared at the round thinking... "hmm, so are you going to go off now and scare the **** out of me?"
Holy crap man!
You don't do that!!!

When you get a failure to fire, you stop and count to 10,,,,,then eject the round.

There's always a chance you'll get a hang fire.

The round sitting there that will just scare you, will do a lot worse if it's just hung and decides to go off jsut as the slide is coming out of battery & the case is still in the chamber enough to build pressure.

Bought the gun second hand. However, it was from a Police shooting instructor, so I'd hope he did it properly.All of which is fine, however is he certified by Glock to work on the guns, or does he just show people how to shoot them?
If it's the former, then he's qualified to make changes to someone else's gun. If it's the latter, then he's not.

On topic - Does that Russian ammunition appear to have a lacquer coating on it? I've had some issues in the past with military grade ammunition and lacuqered cases where the lacquer buffered the firing pin enough to cause a failure.

jeepman4804
December 11, 2011, 06:03 AM
The issue smacks of a mucked up striker (not sure why he would think a police officer who modified it himself would do it right).

So what your trying to say is police officers are dumb and can not swap something as simple as a striker spring or disconnect by themselves? I find that statement humorous as if it was some joe smo at the range it probably would not have been said.

Its more likely the gun. When it does it next time reset the striker (cycle the slide about halfway) then tap the back of the slide with the palm of your hand to ensure its all the way locked into battery. If it fires than the slide is probably hanging up and not locking into battery all the time. I doubt it is gonna be ammo if it is happening that often.

Before you do anything tear the gun down all the way including removal of the striker and clean the heck out of the striker channel with a q-tip, take an air hose an blow it out, and run a q-tip down it again. You could have a piece of brass or something in the channel that is causing light primer hits. I shoot about 200-300 rounds through my duty pistol every trip and have found the striker channel in my M&P to be pretty filthy on more than one occasion.

Get a factory Glock striker spring and take it with you to the range on your next visit. If you are still having problems getting the ammo to ignite the swap the springs and see what that does for you. I would rather have a gun that eats anything its fed than have a gun that has a super light trigger.

AndyWest
December 11, 2011, 06:45 AM
I may buy some Fiocchi: that seems to be cheapish to buy.

Fiocchi makes good stuff. Personally I shoot Speer Lawman FMJs and all my guns love it. Spend a few bucks on quality ammo, you and your Glock won't regret it.

lee n. field
December 11, 2011, 01:40 PM
I've been to the range with my Glock about 5 times now. Would have been more, but moving home takes up time and money.

Is it me, the gun or the ammo?

It has only been failures to fire, the ammo is always the same: the club's Russian-made Barnaul 9mm Luger FMJ. I tend to have a very firm grip on the gun: probably more than is needed, so I don't think my wrist is limp.

As far as I know the only internal alterations this gun has had are a longer slide release lever, a long mag release and a lighter trigger.

My two cents: Look first at the striker spring, trigger spring and connector. In fact, maybe trigger and trigger bar, too. All of which will take you maybe ten minutes to install.

Here they are from Midway. Buy the same from Midway's regional presence in a country next door to you, or your gun-monger of choice. Get a "Glock armorer's tool" while you're at it.

Factory trigger spring (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157451/glock-trigger-spring-coil-glock-17-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39)

Spring cups (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/636196/glock-firing-pin-spring-cups-glock-17-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39)

firing pin spring (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/354015/glock-firing-pin-spring-glock-glock-17-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39)

5.5lb connector (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/328614/glock-connector-all-models-5-1-2-lb)

trigger and trigger bar (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/535394/glock-trigger-with-trigger-bar-glock-17-22-31-34-35-smooth-trigger)

Glock parts are relatively inexpensive. It can't hurt to swap in factory standard parts.

Like others' experience, I have never had a problem with Russian manufactured ammo not going bang when I wanted it to.

trex1310
December 12, 2011, 08:06 PM
Stop shooting that Boris Karloff Krappola in your Glock before
you have some real problems. Why people shoot that junk in
their nice guns is beyond me.

Jim243
December 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sounds like light strikes on a hard primer. Not sure you can get US ammo where your at. Change out the trigger spring for something heavier.

Good luck.
Jim

MythBuster
December 12, 2011, 10:47 PM
Jeepman said,

"So what your trying to say is police officers are dumb and can not swap something as simple as a striker spring or disconnect by themselves? I find that statement humorous as if it was some joe smo at the range it probably would not have been said"

I know several police officers including some really good ones who could not change a striker spring in their own Glocks without assistance to save their lives.

Just like a lot of really good drivers would not know where to start if they had to do a brake job on the car they drive.

Cheapshooter
December 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
It's you You bought cheap ammo!!!

ScotchMan
December 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
Put me down for its the gun. Check out the striker channel, should be clean and bone dry. Replace the spring with stock, Glock designed it that way for a reason. A lighter Glock trigger is asking for trouble anyway.

Try different ammo to narrow it out as a cause though.

Let us know what happens!

loose_holster_dan
December 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
I had a taurus a few years ago that would only fire in my hands. it was strange. my two shooting buddies would pull the trigger and get nothing. i would take it from them. pull the trigger and it would go boom. i would then shoot the next round. boom. handed it back to them. no boom. strangest thing. i had a real jerky trigger pull back then. i think the POS gun liked my POS technique :eek:

Walklightly
December 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
If it FTF, hold off for about 30 before ejecting it.

jmstr
December 13, 2011, 09:46 PM
Everyone, remember: he is in the eastern Baltic [Estonia?]. He doesn't have access to everything that we do in the USA.

I'd say try swapping the ammo for diagnostic purposes. If the striker spring has been replaced then all bets ARE off. However, it is easier for you to try swapping the ammo than it is to get a new striker spring and install it properly where you are. I'm not saying it's hard/impossible, but getting another type of ammo is probably easier. Most gun shops here don't carry striker springs, but DO have different types of ammo.

Would a different connector contribute? I don't know the guts of a Glock like I should. I just remember that it is possible to change the trigger bar/connector thingy and get a lighter trigger feel.

lee n. field
December 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
Would a different connector contribute?

My notion was, get this thing back to factory stock condition. If the previous owner had "lightened the trigger", swapping the connector is one of the things likely to have been done.

Everyone, remember: he is in the eastern Baltic [Estonia?]. He doesn't have access to everything that we do in the USA.

Which I why I've pointed him to Midway's Euro Page (http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/international_information). Likely they will have all the Glock parts.

Pond, James Pond
December 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I have found a Glock stockist in town who can take a look at see what is original and what is not. He may help me clean the slide too.... if I ask nicely!!

I have to go into his shop blinkered, though, as he has a nice original FEG AK for sale. CAN I NOT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT ANOTHER TEMPTATION?!

I will also buy some ammo of higher grade and see what's what with a couple of hundred rounds...

jeepman4804
December 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
Jeepman said,

"So what your trying to say is police officers are dumb and can not swap something as simple as a striker spring or disconnect by themselves? I find that statement humorous as if it was some joe smo at the range it probably would not have been said"

I know several police officers including some really good ones who could not change a striker spring in their own Glocks without assistance to save their lives.

Just like a lot of really good drivers would not know where to start if they had to do a brake job on the car they drive.

I guess I was raised differently. Been shooting my whole life and was always expected to learn how to completely disassemble and repair the firearms we owned/shot. Dad was an Armorer in he Marine Corps years ago so that may have something to do with it.

Same goes for my vehicles... The only one I don't work on is my Duramax, but it's under warranty unlike my Scrambler so I get lazy on occasion. :-)

Pond, James Pond
December 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
For those who want to know.

I took my G19 to the stockist and he gave it a strip and quick clean. There was a bit of carbon build up on the case rim in the chamber, and the bit of the slide that the pin pokes out of it. He also said that the firing pin channel was a bit cruddy but not too bad. He confirmed that he also thought it to be the ammo.

He gave it a look over and confirmed all bits were standard and that the trigger was apparently good... for a Glock...!

And that, he estimated the 1500 rounds fired claim made by the previous owner was probably pretty accurate, so that feels good, to comfirm that it was a good buy!!

At the range today, not one failure to fire. However, this is probably just a lucky batch.

Basically, I am not worried about my gun!! Thanks for your input!

ScotchMan
December 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
Good news!

5.56RifleGuy
December 21, 2011, 09:51 AM
Interesting. Maybe that cleaning took care of the issues. The cheap steal case ammo I have used has worked well. If anything the rounds seemed to be loaded a bit lighter than usual. The stuff does seem to have hard primers, however I wouldn't think that should be a problem with a Glock.

Glad that it appears to be resolved.

C0untZer0
December 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've fired WWB, that Remington L9MM3 garbage, Wolf, Blazzer brass & aluminum, 15 year-old Gold Dots with the sealant worn off the primers, and a whole lot of other miscelaneous stuff from Federal and Winchester, and I haven't had any failures with my Glocks - a 34 and a 17L.

It sounds like the ammo, If you have stock trigger/springs & striker - I'd say it's the ammo.

Can't you get S&B where you're at? I thought S&B was all over Europe, and fairly widely available outside the U.S.

Pond, James Pond
December 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
I can get Fiocchi, S&B, magtech, remington etc. However, buyinbg range ammo, for now is easier

The considerations are these:

To get the best prices per round I need to buy 1000 minimum. I can walk out with all of them, but can only store 100 at home, so I have to use everything I take with me, bar 100 at the range.

The range sell their Barnaul at the same price per round for a box of 50 as I'd get buying 1000 elsewhere, so I don't need to worry about shooting more than I want, or paying out €200 in one hit at a gun-shop.

So, when I get my IPSC licence, my home limit rockets to 1000, so then I am freer, but right now, it is just more convenient to buy ammo there: less planning, fewer restrictions, equally good price. After all, as long as I know how to deal with an unfired round, as per guidance in another thread, I can practice cheaply.

For SD, I can buy a better, higher grain, flat nosed rounds, although I don't know the brand.

WVsig
December 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
There is nothing wrong with Barnaul ammo IMHO. The tend to have harder Berdan primers and they tend to shoot dirtier because the steel case does not expand and seal as well as brass. This is IMHO why people claim the Russian steel cases ammo is dirty and uses foul smelling powder. It is not any dirtier or worse powder its that the steel case does not allow for as clean a burn.

I think with the crud build up on your Glock + the hard primer was the cause of the light strikes you were experiencing.

Pond, James Pond
December 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well, I kow where to look and how to strip my slide now, so at least I can keep an eye on any build-up that starts to accumulate around the chamber areas the dealer highlighted.

In a nutshell it is nothing inherently wrong with this pistol, just circumstances that I can control perfectly well!

Happy.:)

C0untZer0
December 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
I was looking at S&B ammo, and just saw that they use Berdan primers in most of their 9mm stuff.

Also - I detail strip the slide and clean it every time I go to the range. It gets dirty beneath the extractor especially. I also clean out the striker channel.

I can't put my gun away knowning there's crud anywhere on it, but some people are different.