PDA

View Full Version : '43 Remington made 1903A3

tbone4
December 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
A couple months ago I was given a Remington manufactured 1903A3 by my wife's grandpa. It was built in 1943. The story is that he bought it while stationed in Germany in the 50's. It is unmodified but looks as though it has never been cleaned. . . I don't think he shot it very frequently and if he did clean it, it probably consisted of spraying WD40 in the bolt and action:rolleyes:. I do not have plans to modify it but the outside of the barrel has a little surface rust and I'm curious what your guys opinions are on "fixing" the rust. Should I just clean it up the best I can and keep it oiled or should I go the Duracoat rout? I don't plan on ever selling the rifle but I would like to use it for deer hunting and as a range toy.

I have started to detail strip the rifle to give it a good deep cleaning job. Yesterday I soaked the bolt in Simple Green for about 12 hours and took apart as far as I was comfortable and gave it a good scrubbing. Wiped it down with CLP and wiped off the excess. The thing was covered with goop and a hard caramelized substance. . . I love Simple Green!! Removed everything I wanted it too! I'll be moving on to the action next.

tbone4
December 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Also, what are your guys opinions and ides on cleaning the stock. I don't want to change the color of the stain but I kind of want a nicer finish on the wood. I guess it doesn't really bother me but I figured since I'm cleaning everything else why not clean the stock too.

m.p.driver
December 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
0000 steel wool and light oil on the barrel,you just want to take the rust off not the finish.I've always used just soap and water on the stock,once again lightly you're taking off dirt and grease not the finish.Any other intensive scrubbing or sanding and you cut the value down 3/4.Someone down the line would thank you for keeping it original,you can get (sporterized)03's but originals are drying up.

James K
December 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
From JK's dictionary of arms terms:

Sporterizing - v.t. To take a $1000 gun, convert it to a $200 gun and pay $500 to do so.

Jim

tbone4
December 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
Well good thing I'm not going to be sporterizing it then.

tbone4
December 16, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hey guys. I added some pictures on the thread I started in the rifle section.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4864055&posted=1#post4864055

publius
December 17, 2011, 12:33 AM
Murphy's oil soap to clean the stock then rub a light coat of boiled linseed oil into the stock.