PDA

View Full Version : What's a "build"?

1Hobie
December 5, 2011, 08:58 PM
What constitutes a build? Specifically, an AR-15. Is it from the ground up or just buying parts and sticking them together?

Hobie

Jim Watson
December 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
What constitutes "ground up?"
There are few people milling out gun parts from barstock.
Most AR builds are essentially kit guns. The critical parts are standardized well enough to go tothether without much trouble.
Many people have gotten themselves in trouble thinking that because they can put together an AR out of commodity parts, they can build a 1911.

1Hobie
December 6, 2011, 09:16 PM
Darn, I had a block of metal and my Dremel and I were ready!:p

I follow the kit gun concept. I'm reading and reading and wonder if just buying a manufacturer's gun isn't most cost efficient, especially since it's built by them and if it isn't good, you could send it back. You can customize their options to "tune" the gun to your specifications.

But, that being said, I'm open to insight by the BTDT folks.

Hobie.........good night:)

drail
December 9, 2011, 10:29 AM
My definition of a "build" is to take a reciever/frame and dump all of the internal fire control/extraction/ejection parts out and replace all of them with higher quality parts that are machined oversized and handfit them to THAT reciever/frame to remove all of the tolerance slop and achieve 100 % function. Doing this means that probably none of the new parts will fit into another reciever/frame like the stock parts would. This is work that the manufacturer could do but would drive up the price to the point where the majority of the consumers would choose a lower priced product.

saands
December 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
I think that the term "build" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I'd bet that there are those that consider it a build if they buy a complete AR lower and a complete AR upper and pin them together :D Others (maybe most) would consider it a build if they were to buy a stripped lower, a lower parts kit, a stock assembly and a complete upper and assemble that into a working rifle. For me, a build almost always involves cutting metal ... so an "AR build" would involve at least finishing the machining of an 80% casting on the lower ... a Mauser build would be simpler, in that the only metal I cut might be in the chamber, although most have involved at least cutting the threads on the barrel, profiling the barrel and truing the action and bolt. I don't know how many non-gunsmiths would share my definition, though. Most would probably consider doing all the assembly yourself a "build."

Saands

1Hobie
December 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am considering building one myself. I'm going to do a lot of reading beforehand. I'm mechanically inclined but no smithing education at all. So...

Thanks again!

Hobie

saands
December 10, 2011, 05:23 PM
If you are mechanically inclined, you can assemble an AR lower (from a parts kit and a stripped lower) with no issues whatsoever and almost no special tools ... I'm thinking about what I use and, IIRC, the only tools I need that aren't in a "normal toolbox" are a set of punches, a set of roll pin punches and a small hammer. I find that it helps to have a small block of nylon or wood to support things. Oh ... if you go with the adjustable stock, then you will also need some kind of spanner wrench to tighten the big nut on that part. The nice thing is that even if you just assemble all the parts, you end up with a good knowledge base with respect to how it works.

Saands

SCcdp
December 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'd also recommend a decent set of blocks for your vice that is specific to ARs. Unless you have 3 hands its money well spent.

irishguy
December 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
I would say a good example of a "build" is one of those Romanian AK47 kits. You have to remove the old receiver stub, barrel, all internals and re-rivet in a new receiver, re-install barrel, FCG, Gas piston, etc.

Most guys are just "assembling" an AR when they buy a lower and install the trigger group.