PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine

coffeebe
December 4, 2011, 10:55 PM
I just purchased an M1 carbine and am wondering why the barrel is stamped with BlueSky Arlington Va running from the barrel end toward the receiver. Was this a requirement from the U.S. Gov't before they could be sold as surplus? Bums me out that it is stamped.

Jim Watson
December 4, 2011, 11:05 PM
It was a return import requirement.
I think the Blue Sky guns were actually RoK surplus.
Kind of like the big batch of Korean surplus M1 rifles and carbines they would like to sell back to us now, except the antis in government have blocked their return.

grumpa72
December 5, 2011, 08:54 AM
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You can also ask the guys who post on the CMP. I seem to recall that the Blue Sky imports were not spoken well of. Search there and see if anything pops up.

madcratebuilder
December 5, 2011, 09:09 AM
It's a import mark, required on all imports since 1968, no matter of country of origin.

The CMP is exempt from marking US rifles they import.

A import mark has nothing to do with the quality or condition. Many collectors don't care for the marking and most importers use small engraving in a inconspicuous location.

gyvel
December 5, 2011, 08:09 PM
It seems the problem with "Blue Sky" markings on M1 carbine barrels was that they apparently used at least a 30 ton hydraulic press or a 20 pound sledge hammer to stamp them and caused indentations that extened through to the bore.

stickhauler
December 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
The CMP doesn't have to import mark firearms they are selling because they didn't import them. Any surplus gun the CMP sells was returned from the country the United States lent them, to the US Army. The Army then transfers them to the CMP. They're not imported, they're returned to the actual owners, the United States.

claymore1500
December 6, 2011, 06:12 AM
It seems the problem with "Blue Sky" markings on M1 carbine barrels was that they apparently used at least a 30 ton hydraulic press or a 20 pound sledge hammer to stamp them and caused indentations that extened through to the bore.

While that may be true in some cases, I have an underwood carbine that is stamped so lightly, the stamp is hardly noticeable.

The gun will hold 5 inch groups at 100 yards all day, I know 5 inches isn't a tack driver, but I think it's fair, for a 60 year old milsurp.

gyvel
December 6, 2011, 07:22 AM
While that may be true in some cases, I have an underwood carbine that is stamped so lightly, the stamp is hardly noticeable.

I've seen that, too. I guess it depends on how hungover the guy was that day.

chiefr
December 8, 2011, 01:08 PM
Jim Watson is correct.
The Blue Sky carbine is a reimport from South Korea. The US Govt lended both M1 Carbines and Garands to South Korea after the Korean war.
Many Garands and Carbines were imported back to the USA in the 1980s. One dealer I know purchased a dozen of the Garands and sold them for less than $300. I handled and shot several of his Garands and they were in excellent condition with good bores. IMHO, they were bargains.
Korea is now manufacturing its own weapons. I am certain most of you have heard of Daewoo and PMC ammo.

m.p.driver
December 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
The first re-import of the Garand and carbines was the Blue Sky imports from Korea back in like 1987.Most of the bores were a little questionable,and you had to hate Korean steel cleaning rods.But outside of the DCM they were the only game in town.I paid $189 for the Garand,and $149 for the carbine,and after re-barreling i still shoot the Garand in the matches.

stickhauler
December 11, 2011, 04:57 AM
Not really, Arlington re-imported Carbines and Garands as well, but their import marks weren't nearly as heavy-handed.

Ignition Override
December 17, 2011, 03:10 AM
Our govt. paid twice for the CMP's guns:

Once when they were manufactured, then a second time when they were returned to the DoD, the standard channel to reach the CMP.

My hope is to find a second nice Service Grade Garand at the the CMP, if they have another batch ready long before next November.
Why? If the election for my 'style';) of "Hoping For a Change" doesn't work out, watch the prices for many types of guns go up, whether a repetition of speculator scalping (as in '08-'09), or possible govt. action to ban more types of imports.

stickhauler
December 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
I disagree. In my understanding of the process, the only cost to the CMP or our government is the cost of shipping the firearms back to this country.

Now granted,, shipping costs today are much higher than when these firearms were transferred to foreign countries in the first place, however, as with those moved over to Bavarian countries, they were already there when the war ended. The same goes for those guns we see coming back from Greece and Italy.

I doubt the shipping costs are as much as is reflected by CMP prices for their firearms. They're a not-for-profit congressional organization, using whatever profits they gain from selling surplus rifles to cover their costs, and to fund shooting competitions. Even with that, the cost of the rifles are much less than those sold through for-profit importers. The CMP is the best bang for the buck in getting USGI surplus rifles.