PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ .40S&W, 9x19mm....

ClydeFrog
December 4, 2011, 01:26 AM
It may have come up on the forum before, but have any TFL members purchased or shot the new semi auto PPQ line from Walther?
It looks like they want to replace/phase out the P99 series but still sell a well made polymer frame duty pistol.
I'm thinking of buying the Walther PPQ 9x19mm. I do not care for the large trigger guard but I do like the ambi(P2000 style) controls.

This post/topic is about the new Walther PPQ pistols only. Not Glocks, XDs, P5s, P7m8 pistols, or any other model.

PM if you'd want.
ClydeFrog

sigarms228
December 4, 2011, 01:44 AM
I bought a 9MM PPQ recently and had it to the range last weekend with a couple of my SIGs.

I am extremely pleased with my new PPQ and was able to shoot it very well right off the bat. I found it to have a little more recoil/muzzle flip than my P226 which I expected because it is so much lighter but not enough to be any bother and was able to get back on target quickly. I already shoot it much better than I ever did my Gen 2 Glock 19.

Fit, finish, and quality IMO are all very top notch IMO. I put around 70 rounds through it an it was flawless as I expected it to be for a high quality German made and proofed pistol from Walther.

The trigger is by far the best striker fired trigger I have ever experienced and rivals an excellent quality SA trigger easily. The grip is the best I have ever experienced on a poly pistol and I have tried most all of them out there including the higher priced ones.

Be sure to try one if you get a chance and I think you will be very impressed with it.

BTW last I hear VERY recently on the Walther forum that Walther has NO plans to discontinue the P99 any time soon and it is still going to be available in the US.

Here is a target I shot OFFHAND at 75 feet with my new PPQ with the third magazine I ever shot through it. The target is 5.5 inches. A few missed the target by a little bit but that was my fault and I do not see that well at 75 feet either but I was curious what I could do with my new PPQ and boy I was not dissapointed.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/kk9zz/PPQ112611c.jpg

Mrgunsngear
December 4, 2011, 08:11 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469179

^^Here's a copy of my range report. I've since gotten a thesis IWB holster and put about 400 more flawless rounds through it since the report above.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0585.jpg

oldluke
December 4, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't have a picture, sorry but I have a PPQ in 9 and boy am I not happy. My experience so far is plinking, practicing for IDPA and shoot three matches with it.

Quite the gun, the grip is assured and firm, target acquisition is flawless, the trigger! Ah, the trigger! Like having two twin sisters and a bottle of bourbon on Friday night, that's how good it is. The reset? Add a third twin, and you get the idea.

From an ergonomic point of view, think P3o with a better slide release. From a trigger standpoint, think 1911 or Glock after a first class (expensive as hell) trigger job.

I also own a P99 AS, one of the best and most ignored semi auto on the market. The PPQ won't be ignored, of that I am convinced.

And no, I am not going to post a picture of the twins either.

balance
December 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
The First Edition was just released, with a threaded barrel, night sights, and and extended baseplate on one mag: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/18972-ppq-first-edition-out-pics-inside.html

There are reports of people putting thousands of rounds through the PPQ without failures, and there are reports of people getting 1.5" groups at 25 yards with these in a rest.

The trigger mimics the SA of the P99 AS trigger, and it is one of the best triggers on any polymer pistol.

All sights, and most holsters for the P99 will fit on the PPQ.

Walther polymer pistols are accurate and reliable, and have great ergonomics and great triggers. I can't think of another polymer pistol manufacturer I can say that about.

CWKahrFan
December 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
PPQ is a GREAT shooter... It's trigger and ergonomics are state of the art.

Fishbed77
December 4, 2011, 05:43 PM
It looks like they want to replace/phase out the P99 series but still sell a well made polymer frame duty pistol.

The PPQ has only replaced the P99QA (the previous P99 variant with a Glock-like trigger).

Walther has made it clear that they will continue to manufacture and sell the P99AS (Anti-Stress DA/SA trigger) for the foreseeable future.

reset
December 4, 2011, 07:51 PM
My impression of the PPQ a fellow shooter allowed me to sample was very positive. Extremely intuitive, it was easy to shoot accurately while remaining on target.

The reset was short enough and predictable. Oh yeah, I think this one was a 9mm, but I wouldn't hesitate to step up to the .40 on such a stable platform.

It seemed extremely well made as a Walther should be. It felt great in the hand too. My frame of reference is mainly Glocks and a S&W 686.

Get one if you like the way it feels, and the rest should flow naturally from the PPQ.

ClydeFrog
December 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
Thx for the forum messages so far, :) .
I'm a tad confused by "OldLuke's" post but I guess he says the Walther PPQ gets high marks.
From the web photos & write-ups it seems the new Walther pistols are best for open/duty carry in cold weather/spec ops type details.
Gloved hands will like the controls & frame.
It seems to have the shape of HK's P30 line.
The older P99 series had a lot of fans worldwide(007 used a P99 in Tomorrow Never Dies/1999) but I like these PPQs.

ClydeFrog

sigarms228
December 5, 2011, 12:24 AM
It seems to have the shape of HK's P30 line.

Yes it does BUT FWIW the P30 shape was obviously heavily influenced by the P99. :D

Also I am sure the PPQ is a great all season gun - hot or cold, open or CCW.

Sadly I live in the last state that does not trust it's citizens to CCW so I can not speak from my experiences.

Iron Man
December 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
The PPQ is great. But, the P99 is not being phased out at all. They are different guns with different customers in mind. I have two P99s and one PPQ, all in .40 S&W.

ClydeFrog
December 5, 2011, 12:43 AM
State agency laws/SOPs do not permit me to use a .40 or .357sig at this time(it may change in 2/3 years, God willing) but I can pack a 9x19mm sidearm on duty. :)
A .40S&W PPQ may be a "fun gun" in 2012 but I'd more towards a P229R DAK pistol with .40/.357sig barrels. ;)
ClydeFrog