PDA

View Full Version : Officer frame, commander slide?

t45
December 3, 2011, 09:34 PM
Will a commander slide and barrel fit an officer model frame? I was thinking maybe the lower dust shield may not be long enough on the slide to overlap the frame? Anything else to think about? I would like to have a little more site radius with the longer slide but the compactness of the officer frame.

WVsig
December 3, 2011, 09:55 PM
It is known as a CCO.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/cco-6.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/cco-5.gif

oldandslow
December 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
t45, 12/4/11

I have a Springfield Ultra Compact which is an Officer's sized frame and a 3 and 1/2 inch barrel and slide. I was hoping to put on a Commander sized slide and barrel. After doing a search at www.1911forum.com it appeared that some of the officer's sized frames were too short to mate up with the commander's slide. I did some back and forth emails with the owner of Fusion firearms, a custom 1911 company, and he requested certain measurements on my pistol. He said that my SA officer's size frame would not work with the commander's sized slides. It's too bad as I think it would be the perfect marriage of small size grip and more reliable length slide. Oh well. Hope yours works for you.

Oh yes, one more bit of info. When you punch in the 1911 forum use the singular "1911forum" and not "forums" which gets you on to a mail order Russian bride site (it might have worked out but they would not do free shipping for her).

merry Christmas- oldandslow

velocette
December 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
Kimber offers, and I carry regularly their Compact Stainless II, which is an officers frame and 4" barrel. IMHO the best compromise in a carry .45 acp 1911 style pistol. Mine has been equipped with CT laser grips and Tritium night sights.

Roger

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Fire%20arms%202010/firearms41410016-1.jpg

michael t
December 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
A lite weight Commander will work just as well and not really all that had to conceal the slighty larger grip. Can always bob tail it.

WVsig
December 4, 2011, 12:10 PM
A lite weight Commander will work just as well and not really all that had to conceal the slighty larger grip. Can always bob tail it.

I disagree... the CCO done properly is a huge difference on the belt. IMHO It becomes a T-shirt gun instead of a cover garment gun.

4thHorseman
December 4, 2011, 12:12 PM
I just bought a new Colt today that is that way. Colt now makes what is called "Colt Concealed Carry Officer 45 ACP Blue Commander Slide/Officer Frame"
Just an idea

WVsig
December 4, 2011, 12:15 PM
Colt now makes what is called "Colt Concealed Carry Officer 45 ACP Blue Commander Slide/Officer Frame"

Colt has made these before... Look at the pic above that is a MKIV Colt CCO. They discontinued them a few years back but have started to produce them again. They look nice....

4thHorseman
December 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
Colt has made these before... Look at the pic above that is a MKIV Colt CCO. They discontinued them a few years back but have started to produce them again. They look nice....

Yes, the same gun as you said, just a bit different cosmetically I guess. I bought one today because it was the first time I ever saw one. I will get it next week.

KyJim
December 4, 2011, 12:34 PM
Buying a CCO with commander length slide and compact/officer frame is different than mating an existing commander slide to an existing officer frame. I would be guided by oldandslow's experience unless someone else can chime in differently.

In the last few years, a number of companies have started making CCO sized 1911s -- Colt (again), Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Wilson, Sig, Kimber, STI, SW (I think) and probably some others I'm forgetting off the top of my head. Some have steel frames and some have aluminum frames. I currently carry a Baer (steel frame) and a Sig (aluminum frame) CCO sized pistols. You can feel the difference that ten ounces makes when carrying for several hours.

I'm purchasing a Dan Wesson CCO (aluminum frame). One of the things I like about the DW CCO is that the butt frame is rounded which helps concealability even more.

doc540
December 4, 2011, 12:36 PM
OP, answer: yes

Colt 1998-1999

Mine's a '98, at the gunsmith for tuning, and will be my carry piece as soon as it gets back home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/ColtCCO005-1-1.jpg

tahunua001
December 4, 2011, 02:29 PM
Oh yes, one more bit of info. When you punch in the 1911 forum use the singular "1911forum" and not "forums" which gets you on to a mail order Russian bride site (it might have worked out but they would not do free shipping for her).

haha priceless :D

I would not recommend it. many 1911s have to have a slide fitted for the frame. a slide that works with one 1911 will not necessarily fit another frame, even another frame from the same manufacturer. , swapping slides is possible with some polymer framed guns but a real pain with 1911s. I believe there have been discussions regarding this at 1911addicts.com it's a great website and I found it very useful while doing research for my first 1911 purchase.