PDA

View Full Version : Bench Rest for zeroing scope

4whln
December 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
My buddy and I have been looking for a decent benchrest for zeroing in our scopes. We would like something like the caldwell lead sled, and would like the price to be under $200. Any suggestions?

hooligan1
December 3, 2011, 07:22 PM
Back in July I bought a Led-Sled Plus for about 100.00, down at the Bass Pro Shops, I then went to wally-world and picked up an olympic weight (25 lbs), it coupled with an 18 lb bag of lead I had laying around makes it pretty solid.

Having said that, you will have to reset the rest each and every time you fire a round, if you shoot high power. That's the only thing that bothers me.
It really makes a difference with "zeroing" scopes, or when I'm working on load data testing.
I hope this helps dude, buy one, and if you don't like it, sell it to your hunting buddy!!;)

mehavey
December 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
decent benchrest for zeroing in our scopes...something like the caldwell lead sled....
What are you zeroing that needs a sled?

tobnpr
December 3, 2011, 07:39 PM
If you do extensive load testing, the lead sled would be a good choice.

It's really designed for frequent shooting- not just to zero a scope now and then. Like someone with a shoulder injury that can't take recoil.

Nice to have, but a lot of dough. No question a very stable platform is required for both load development and zeroing an optic. But for me, a bipod (or front rest) and good rear bag on a solid bench gives me all the stability I need.

jmr40
December 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
Sandbags for me. Lead sleds have been known to break stocks. There is no give when the gun is fired and the stock gets all the stress. They tend to break right at the grip.

Dr Heckel
December 3, 2011, 08:32 PM
I use a Caldwell Rock BR front rest with Protektor bag and an Edgewood Original for a rear bag. The Caldwell BR is plenty stable and easy to adjust. The Edgewood Rear bag is about as high quality as they get...but not cheap. The Caldwell runs about $160 and the Edgewood about $125.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/DrHeckel/KIDD/DSC00642-1.jpg

phil mcwilliam
December 4, 2011, 03:46 AM
I've used the Caldwell lead sled a number of times for sighting in rifles & comparing ammunition. They provide an excellent solid & steady rest & certainly take away the recoil component. I've never used one bolted down, & they certainly move between every shot & probably need more time adjusting between shots than using sandbags.
After sighting in numerous rifles using the Caldwell lead sled, I have always confirmed zero by shooting the rifle independently & the zero has always been the same.
I would not think breaking stocks is common with a lead sled, as there is rearward movement of the sled system if not bolted down.
I think the Caldwell lead sled main benefit is sighting in & developing loads/working out which ammunition shoots better in rifles from say .270 & larger, where you may be firing 60 plus rounds in one sitting.
Got to admit, didn't have access to the Caldwell lead sled when I acquired my Sako .17hmr recently. I went to the local range & used their standard wheel adjustable sandbagged front rest with a sandbag rear rest & achieved my best groups ever.

wnycollector
December 4, 2011, 07:34 AM
I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Porta-Aim-Gun-Rest/dp/B0034361BC plus a the same shooting sock I use when I shoot prone.