PDA

View Full Version : Rossi single shot 7.62x39 ? Anyone ??

kymasabe
December 3, 2011, 01:36 AM
I've been looking at this Rossi 7.62x39 ingle shot rifle sitting in my local gunstore for almost a year. Finally, had to buy it. Brand new, out the door for only $200. Picke up a cheap Swift scope for only $20 while I was at it. 3-9x32, nice bright optics, mounted right on the rail on top of the Rossi.

Was wondering, anyone else have one of the Rossi single shot rifles? Have they held up well? Are they accurate?

seansean1444
December 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
let us know when u shoot it

LilHog
December 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
I don't have a Rossi, but I have 2 H&R single shots. One is a 44mag and the other a 357mag, they are a lot of fun. If H&R made one in 7.62x39 I would buy it right away. Both mine have 16" barrels which make them very compact little rifles. I think your going to have lots of fun with that Rossi, enjoy!

tobnpr
December 3, 2011, 11:53 PM
Mind if I ask why the single shot?
I've always considered them strictly target actions, and that caliber doesn't have very attractive ballistics for target shooting..

Is it just a cheap way to do some fun plinking?

B.L.E.
December 4, 2011, 12:28 AM
I've always considered them strictly target actions, and that caliber doesn't have very attractive ballistics for target shooting..

Is it just a cheap way to do some fun plinking?

I don't think that an inexpensive break open single shot would be the first choice of a serious bench rest competitor regardless of caliber.

The caliber should be as accurate as any, after all, accurate bench rest rifles have been chambered for the .30-30 round, a caliber that got a bad name as far as accuracy is concerned mostly because the rifles made for it were predominately tubular magazine lever actions.
Give the 7.62 X 39 a decent bolt action rifle and I bet one hole groups at 100 yards are possible with good ammo.

bobn
December 4, 2011, 12:40 AM
i understand h and r stopped making their guns in this chamber...something to do with hard military primers not igniting reliably with the hammer strikes... fwiw, bobn

tobnpr
December 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
I didn't know the Rossi was a break-open type.
I was referring to single-shot bolt actions, often used in F-Class competition.

chack
December 4, 2011, 12:52 PM
I recently bought a 7.62x39 Rossi. I haven't shot it yet though.

I wanted a centerfire rifle that I could use as a step up in power for my 11 year old from his .22 single shot. I was going to let hi have a 9mm carbine like I gave my older son for his first centerfire rifle, but the younger son has no fire discipline and just wants to shoot rapid fire.

The single shot should force him to focus on being accurate instead of achieving fire superiority over the paper plates with a large volume of suppressive fire.

I also want to us it to work up accuracy rounds when I start reloading that caliber. If my 11 year old can tighten up his groups with it, I'll have him use it for a deer gun next year.

stolivar
December 4, 2011, 01:52 PM
Very accurate for 2 shots groups. After that it starts to open up more.

You have to sight it in like you shoot it. If not you will not be shooting into the

same group. If you sight it in on a sandbag and then shoot it off hand, wallah...

You will off.. Love mine though.

steve

chris in va
December 4, 2011, 02:36 PM
Might want to look at one in 223 instead. Same recoil but less rainbow trajectory.

Mike38
December 4, 2011, 04:23 PM

Beware the man that owns a single shot rifle. He likely knows how to use it. ;)

B.L.E.
December 4, 2011, 04:53 PM
Beware the man that owns a single shot rifle. He likely knows how to use it.

Yes, but a semi-auto lets you miss the same deer several times before it disappears into the woods instead of just once.;)

stolivar
December 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Very funny

steve

wingman
December 4, 2011, 08:09 PM
Was wondering, anyone else have one of the Rossi single shot rifles? Have they held up well? Are they accurate?

Honestly,it will hold up ok but accuracy is in doubt,the break open action with two piece stock does not lend itself to "consistent" accuracy.

Mobuck
December 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
Here's what I've found with the Rossi 7.62x39.
If it shoots Winchester factory loads 100% of the time, it's probably OK. The one I have is chambered too deep and will not fire ANY factory ammo(steel case or domestic brass cased) consistently. I didn't find this out until a few days before I had offered it to a first time hunter for a deer hunt. With no time to send it back for factory repair, I performed some handloading hokus pokus and came up with some ammo that would shoot(pretty accurately too) and the hunter hit two deer with two shots. Procrastination has caused me to put off sending it back but I'll get that done soon.