PDA

View Full Version : .308 Winchester ammo for the shooting range?

Last Escape Pod
December 1, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for .308 Winchester ammunition that would be appropriate at the shooting range. What would be a good brand and grain to go with?

I don't intend to hunt or fight in a warzone (not yet :)), so I don't need specialized ammo. I just need something for punching holes in paper targets or plinking.

arch308
December 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
UMC or American Eagle 150 grs. American made & relatively inexpensive.

bacardisteve
December 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
If your not opposed to steel case ammo silver bear 147gr softpoints are actually fairly accurate out of my rifles. My savage shoots em just over moa and last time i bought em i paid around $5.50 a box of 20.

velocette
December 2, 2011, 09:34 AM
How accurate do you want the ammo to be?
You have choices ranging from cheap surplus ammo, Russian ammo, up through high quality, extremely accurate and expensive stuff. The accuracy usually (but not always) follows the price, nothing new there.
Or you can reload your own for not much less than cheap ammo or FAR less than the match grade stuff.
In my LR308B 1:10, the best lower priced factory ammo was the Federal 150 grain SP Power Shock, blue box from WalMart @ about 14.00 per box of 20.
It shot into about 1" at 100 yds consistently.
Stay away from most FMJ ammo as it typically is not as accurate as other designs. (but not always)
Federal Gold Medal Match, or Black Hills match, both using the Sierra 168 gr. hollow point boat tail match bullet are excellent, consistently well under 1" @ 100 yds.
You can find the match ammo on sale periodically but still pricey.

Roger

tobnpr
December 2, 2011, 07:00 PM
^^^ X 2 ^^^

And this is why I reload...myself and two sons, all serious target shooters. The only way to get "affordable" (and it still ain't cheap!) match-grade ammo is to roll your own.

The only way to test what the rifle is really capable of is with the match ammo, and the two suggested above (FGMM and BH) are the best...

Factory ammunition (non match-grade) can often have 2-3 moa of variation.
I spoke with the owner of a reloading supply house recently and he explained that QC, and variations in powder, loads, etc. vary greatly in "factory" ammo...

RaySendero
December 2, 2011, 07:29 PM
Last Escape Pod asked:

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for .308 Winchester ammunition that would be appropriate at the shooting range. What would be a good brand and grain to go with?

I don't intend to hunt or fight in a warzone (not yet ), so I don't need specialized ammo. I just need something for punching holes in paper targets or plinking.

LEP,

If your 308 has a barrel twist of 1:10, try this - Its on sale:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12550

rduckwor
December 2, 2011, 09:30 PM
For giggles and grins, Tulammo. Cheap, steel cased, $8/20 rounds. Accurate enough. For serious work, roll your own with really good bullets.