PDA

View Full Version : M1A reliability

checkmyswag
November 30, 2011, 11:53 PM
Looking to buy a Springfield M1A Scout Squad.

How reliable are these with GOOD magazines and GOOD ammo?

If I can't pull the trigger (ahem) on this, then need to figure out something else ASAP.

Charlie98
December 1, 2011, 12:06 AM
My SAI Socom16 has been 100% out of the box. Some others have been reporting issues, but no one reports the solid rifles that don't have problems. SAI builds a good rifle and has a lifetime warranty... what's not to like?

I would also suggest having a visit over at m14tfl.com... :D

kraigwy
December 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
I shot (and qualified with) the M14 in basic in '66, used it when I was in the 82nd before I went to Vietnam.

Got my M1A in 1977, shot it heavily in competition while shooting for the guard until I switched to the AR (for competition) about 2005 or so, still have my M1A, it still shoots.

While in the Guard I ran AK NG Marksmanship Unit where I had about 30 NM and 80 standard M14s on my property book.

Went to sniper school using the M21 (M14) and taught sniper schools using the M21.

How reliable is it????????

Extremely reliable. The only magazines I use are USGI. Out of the hundreds I've had, (mine or on my property book) I only and a hand full that were bad, or suspected of being bad, I Poop canned them just in case.

Contrary to what people tell you, the Match and Supper Match M14s are not as finicky to keep accurate as you hear on the Internet.

I can't tell you about the short or scout guns, never had any use for them, so I don't know.

Most of my M14/M1A shooting has been with iron sights, (can't ask for better service rifle sights on a rifle), I like the longer sight radius of the full size M14/M1A.

But to answer the question THEY ARE EXTREMELY RELIABLE.

Therealkoop
December 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
My m1a scout has never had a single issue since ive had it. But, Ive only got around 1000 rounds through it to be honest.

I use checkmate mags from 44mag.com. Not only are they some of the cheapest, but they are also far and away the best and most reliable ones availiable.

Tim R
December 1, 2011, 03:26 AM
Looking to buy a Springfield M1A Scout Squad.

How reliable are these with GOOD magazines and GOOD ammo?

Ahh, you won't find another auto loading 308 rifle more reliable IMHO.

geetarman
December 1, 2011, 07:29 AM
As everyone has said, they are reliable when you use the right magazines ( Checkmate ) and the iron sights are about as good as it gets.

I really like them.

Geetarman:D

madcratebuilder
December 1, 2011, 08:34 AM
SAI did a very good design on their short barreled M1A's. I don't own one but have shoot a few and they shot like my full size rifles. They need the same as most semi rifles. Think meal.

Mags
Extractor
Ammo
Lube

MythBuster
December 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
The M-14 type rifle is a very reliable system IF you use good ammo and good USGI mags. Very close to being as reliable as the AK.

The M1a rifle made by SA Inc can be very reliable or it can be a huge problem depending on it's condition when it left the factory.

They have a HUGE QC problem today. If you order a new one it could be 100% perfect in every way or it can be extremely screwed up.

If you know what to look for or bring someone with you that knows these rifles to a gun show where you can sort through a few of them and find one that will give you a lifetime of excellent service.

Slamfire
December 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
The only malfunctions I have ever had with my Super Match M1a's was all due to my reloading habits.

I rub Johnson paste wax on my match cases, under the temperatures and pressures of combustion the wax melts, the cases are free from the friction of the chamber walls, and thus, upon extraction, they don't get stretched. My cases last a very long time, took one set of 100 twenty two reloads without any case head separation issues.

However, I found that if I did not buff my cases, that is the paste was glumpy, in cold weather, I would have bolt over rides. The cartridge was not rising fast enough in the box, probably due to cold wax slowing things down. Now I buff my rapid fire cases. Never an issue, even in matches shot in snow.

I am on my third barrel on this match rifle, those are the only malfunctions I have ever had, it is not a fault of the rifle or magazines, and I think highly of the reliability of the M1a.

My rifles are all GI parts with the exception of the stock, barrel. I use Chinese or GI mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedRightSiderifle1.jpg

MythBuster
December 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
I met a guy recently who is on his third barrel on his Super match. He is a highpower shooter and shoots master and high master class scores with this rifle.

He has replaced a few extractors and firing pins because that is to be expected on the M-14 type rifles that have thousands of rounds through them.

Other than that no problems.

If I remember correctly he only messes with the bedding when it is time to replace the barrel.

kraigwy
December 1, 2011, 11:34 AM
Forgot to add, besides barrels being shot out, if you shoot them much, you will stretch out those leather slings and they will have to be replaced.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/posting/websize/M1A%20_1_.jpg

checkmyswag
December 1, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the info.

Do I need to be concerned about the lack of chrome lining? Only concern about it the inside of the barrel rusting over the years or if exposed to harsh conditions.

kraigwy
December 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
Not if you clean your rifle every now and then.

checkmyswag
December 1, 2011, 01:01 PM
Cool. This might be the one for me. Been searching for a rifle for a long time. Looking at pros and cons of each. And unlike some I don't have the $ or storage for multiple rifles.

Started off looking at mini-14. Like Ruger and how compact and light the mini-14 is but wanted a better hunting round. So then i looked at mini-30. But read they don't fire cheap/Russian ammo well. Also not chromed barrel. Also although im not a long distance shooter or a hunter dreaming of 300m drops I want those things to be options especially if I just have one rifle.

Everytime id decide on one then id back off due to one factor or another. I know 308 ammo is expensive but its a legit hunting round for about anything.

Then I saw the scout squad doesnt have chrome lined barrels and thought...here we go again!

Then I look at AKs (yuck) just so I can go chrome lined. But then that's not. 308. So I look at AR-10 type rifles...but I don't like the dirty system they use and how sensitive they are to cleaning and lubrication.

Hopefully I can settle it all with an M1A scout squad.

44 AMP
December 1, 2011, 01:37 PM
If you are not going to be using corrosive ammo, or using your rifle in a military situation (combat) then chrome lining is of no real benefit.

Chrome is hard, and resists corrosion. Chrome lined barrels last a little longer, expecially when you are looking at surviving heat (like in a firefight). But for normal sporting use, the advantages of chrome lined over regular chrome moly steel alloy is very slight.

Notice that there aren't many (if any) bolt action hunting rifles that boast chrome lined barrels? Wonder why? Not needed.

Arms designed for military use, and their semi auto civilian versions, have features not needed or useful to the majority of sportsmen and plinkers. Most of the time its not a big deal, as Chrome lining and things like that don't hurt or interfere with sporting use at all.

Alpha Wolf
December 1, 2011, 02:03 PM
My Socom 16 has been 100%. With 5 different Mags. Well over 1000 rounds through it.

I have shot everything from reloads, wolf, and surplus from a number of countries and it just runs and runs and eats it all without issue.

Groups are just tighter with some types of ammo.

Slamfire
December 1, 2011, 02:20 PM
Forgot to add, besides barrels being shot out, if you shoot them much, you will stretch out those leather slings and they will have to be replaced.

Forgot about that. I had to replace leather sling keepers when they stretched out. I finally decided to use a Turner AWS sling. That will last forever.

On further reflection, I replaced a firing pin. The tang was all beat up.

And I had to move the front sight to establish a new windage zero whenever I replaced barrels.

Tedious I know, but it is a burden you have to deal with.

He has replaced a few extractors

I have the same extractor. Extraction forces are a lot less with lubed cases and that is easier on the extractor.

checkmyswag
December 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
This wouldn't be a rapid fire range plinker. That's what 22s are for.

This would be for hunting and "general purpose".

General purpose up to an including running through 4-5 mags with rapid fire if ever needed. Would doing this harm the barrel? Decrease accuracy and reliability?

Don't plan on beating up abusing or neglecting the gun. But if needed...I need it to be able to fire any ammo. Be very reliable. Handle rapid sustained fire if necessary.

Maybe I should be looking at an AK. I just don't find them appealing at all. Then im back to the mini-30 but may be no better off as I hear they have a hard time with some ammo and barrels are unchromed.

Wish I could just be an AR-15 geek.

Alpha Wolf
December 1, 2011, 02:49 PM
I too had to replace the leather sling with nylon sling with metal locks.

Sling keeper stitching came loose. SIA sling.

:D

SmokyBaer
December 1, 2011, 03:21 PM
In my opinion, the only way to go better than M1A, you'd have to order an LRB M14 or M25 barrelled receiver and slap a really tight stock on it. Will pay a good bit more for it but mine is flawless so far. Reliability in both my Springfields and this new LRB has been 100% trouble free.

Only time ever had issue, it was self induced when I was increasing my dwell time with shims and went to far covering some of the gas port. Took one shim out and it's been dialed in ever since.