PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying unusual pistol

Oregon.gun.nut
November 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
I have a pistol that I would like to identify the maker, caliber, and approximate age. It has an unusual feature where the barrel is knurled and detaches by twisting it off to the front. The barrel is a 2" smoothbore (0.474" dia.) and the chamber area has a diameter of 0.534". There is a shoulder inside the barrel where a rimmed cartridge apparently stops with the cartridge inserted into the barrel. There is a gap of approx. 0.120" between the shoulder and the face of the firing pin. I have a drawing that I can post later along with soime additional pictures. If you zoom in on one end of the barrel you can see a set of proof marks. Inside the grips, there is a "1" marked on the left side of the frame and a "48" on the right side. I'm not sure if this was the proper area to post this, but I would appreciate everyone's input.

TX Hunter
November 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
I dont know the make but it looks like a flair gun.

mapsjanhere
November 28, 2011, 03:21 PM
The German proof marks give it away - it's a so called Weinbergpistole, typically used to fire blanks to chase away birds in agricultural settings.

Oregon.gun.nut
November 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. Do you have any idea what type of cartridge would be used? I've attached a sketch I've made of the interior dimensions and a picture showing where the barrel fits over the front part of the gun. A blank makes sense since it obviously couldn't handle a great deal of pressure.

mapsjanhere
November 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.co2air.de/wbb3/index.php?page=Thread&threadid=20161
even has pictures of the original box.
The text basically describes it as a non-lethal self-defense option.

Oregon.gun.nut
November 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
Mapsjanhere.....you are the man! How the heck did you find this? Since I can't read german, can you tell me a little more about the cartridge? It looks like some type of gas propellant. The picture on the front of the box makes me want to find some a try it, but I would probably gas myself!

mapsjanhere
November 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
That was some good google-fu ;). Actually, your dimensional drawing was the clue, that made me look for 12 mm cartridges, which let me to the Scheintod cartridges which led to the pictures. Unfortunately I haven't found out yet what the gas load was.
It's really funny, it gives you instructions on how to "experience" your own gas (the top part of the inside box). Short version: Fire inside room and immediately run into the gas cloud.
Somehow I don't think that that method would go past legal review in today's marketing.
It suggests to not shoot at friends.

Found this page (http://littlegun.info/arme%20allemande/artisan%20o%20p%20q%20r/a%20paatz%20gb.htm) that suggests that the cartridge was originally loaded with powdered tobacco, and later with CS.
It must have been common enough that US postal regulations (http://books.google.com/books?id=t_CyAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA995&lpg=PA995&dq=%22Scheintot+Cartridge&source=bl&ots=-6XOPnYS0i&sig=A9HbnrZ-3ZMcQj5sCprW-Te-hps&hl=en&ei=VwfUToGbBOetiQLRx9GaDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Scheintot%20Cartridge&f=false) forbade the import via mail
And I found the truly suicidal hint that it chambers a 44 Magnum very nicely...

OkieCruffler
November 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
It suggests to not shoot at friends.

Ah come on, what's a little gas between friends?:D

James K
November 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
"Scheintot" is usually defined as "suspended animation" or "coma". It has always seemed to me pretty unlikely that the tiny amount of gas in even a 12mm shell could produce the huge cloud seen in the advertisements, or cause anyone to go into "suspended animation". I guess advertising hype was not invented yesterday and is not confined to the U.S.

Jim

Chuck Dye
November 28, 2011, 06:56 PM
Run a search on Scheintod pistol and quite a lot pops up. Judging from the auction sites, you have some considerable value there, particularly with the box included.

Oregon.gun.nut
November 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Not sure I need more instructions on how to "experience your own gas". I just confirmed that it will chamber a 44 magnum round. That's scary! I've tried a 410 shotshell, but the brass case is too long to let it go in, thank goodness. If you look at the gas cartridge it is constructed similar to a shotshell but the case head is flush with the paper cartridge wall.

I sure appreciate all of your input. My father was a gunsmith who recently passed away at the age of 89 (still working) and he left me with a lot of guns and gun parts that I have been trying to identify. It's fun to do the research and have that "AHA!" moment when you finally realize what you have.