PDA

View Full Version : Heym 25.06

dbaldwin
November 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
I am looking for help with older heym rifle. The action is mauser 25.06, with plain wooden stock. the Barrel is blue with the bolt being a chrome looking finish, a little slop in the bolt when open like a lot of Mausers. It is stamped on right made in Germany, and and on left side it say St. Hubert co. and Waseca, MN. On the right side on the barrel it is stamped 25.06. I think the gun was acquired in the 1960s or early 70s by my father in law, but it might have been a little earlier. Any help with this would greatly help my curious mind about the history of this gun. It shoots beautifully to this day with a Zeiss scope on it. Thanks for the help Dale

mapsjanhere
November 24, 2011, 03:32 PM
As a German post war rifle it should have proof marks on the barrel. Eagle over N, and the mark of the proof house and a date (in month/year format). That should tell you when it was made. If there's no German marks on the barrel, the gun was rebarreled in the US.
On second thought, if it's really marked made in Germany it might be pre-WWII (it should have a made in West Germany mark otherwise). Post a pic of the proof marks and we can tell.

dbaldwin
December 1, 2011, 12:05 AM
the gun does say made in germany... not west germany.. I have heard there might be markings on bottom of barrel but not sure I am up to removing metal from one piece stock... I will get magnifying glass and see if I can make out more markings... and will try to get a decent picture... thanks for your help

briandg
December 1, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure if this has any bearing whatsoever on the rifle in question, but Waseca was the location of the Herter's company. They imported mausers and other unusual rifles. they sold a lot of imported ammo and components,too.

briandg
December 1, 2011, 01:21 AM
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=169903