PDA

View Full Version : Uberti/Pietta Cabelas/Able ammo

ak-kev
November 19, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, I have 2 Uberti 1858's now (and one ASM 1851) and really like them. They are new manufacture and are of excellent quality (for Italian repo's). Am I wrong in wanting to stay with Uberti or would a new Pietta from Cabellas be just as good?

I've bought both of my Uberti's from Taylors and love their attitude and shipping time. They have always treated me very well on the phone and bent over backwards to accommodate me. BUT, I have noticed Able Ammo has Ubertis for a much more attractive price? Do you have any opinions of Able ammo you could share?

MJN77
November 19, 2011, 08:49 AM
Uberti used to be a lot better than Pietta, but about about 10 years ago Pietta quality improved greatly. I myself am a Uberti fan. I used to HATE Pietta guns, until I bought a new Pietta a year or two ago. I really like it. The Uberti guns are better finished, but I think the quality of the gun itself is about to the same. I own one Pietta revolver and about a dozen Uberti revolvers, so I have both to compare.:) I don't think you would be un-happy with either brand. As for Able Ammo, they are pretty good to do business with. Although, the first time I ordered from them they sent me the wrong gun. Good luck.

ak-kev
November 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
Thank you sir for the quick reply. So, were you satisfied with the way Able took care of your return?

I just have this silly genetic problem of being brand loyal in everything, not just my firearms. Its hard for me to go away from a brand that has been good to me. Thank you again for sharing your experience. Kevin.

MJN77
November 19, 2011, 09:18 AM
I didn't return the gun. My wife liked it so she still has it. I had called Able and they were willing to exchange it with no hassle though. I am also "brand loyal". As I said I have a dozen or more Uberti revolvers. The only reason I bought another Pietta revolver (when I was a reenactor in the 1990s I bought 2 or 3 Piettas and they were crap) is because I wanted a replica confederate Dance revolver, and Pietta is the only company that makes them. I was really impressed with the quality of the revolver. It really is a nice gun. I am still a loyal Uberti lover, but if you try other brands, that's just more guns you get to buy.:D

ClemBert
November 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
I like my Uberti revolvers better than my Piettas. However, that said I should mention that for the money it is very hard to beat a Pietta from Cabelas. If money/value was not an issue I'd most likely seek out Uberti for my revolvers if both Uberti and Pietta made "the same" model.

Take a look at MidwayUSA also. It looks like the price of some of their Ubertis are better than Cabelas. I know it's hard to believe but I think Cabelas excels mostly with their Pietta pricing.

radom
November 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
The polish on the Uberti seems to be just a hair better than the Piettas but not by much. My main issue with Pietta is the markings on the barrel sides vs under the barrel out of sight on the Uberti guns. On the plus site the arbors seem to be set up perfectly on a Pietta vs Uberti they always seem to be off from a hair to a lot.