PDA

View Full Version : 444s Marlin

Roaddog
November 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
I just got a 444s Marlin and would like to hear from others that shoot them. I will be reloading for it. How do you like this rifle and what do you fined your gun likes for reloads. I'll be whitetail and blackbear hunting with it.
Thanks
Roaddog

KBP75
November 17, 2011, 09:53 PM
Go to marlinowners.com and you be on the best website for owners of Marlin rifles. Lots of people to talk to about Marlin rifles and there is a specific section dedicated to owners of 444 Marlins. I just joined a few weeks ago and its a great place to find out everything there is to know about Marlin rifles! Ken

Alaska444
November 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hey, don't you know that you should have bought a 45-70 instead? LOL

I LOVE my Marlin .444 but I don't do any reloads. It is a great gun, highly accurate and able to take down what you need to take down, when you want to take it down.

Enjoy!!

Loader9
November 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
I've got a few of the S model. They all pretty much shoot max loads with IMR or H4198 powders giving the best overall accuracy. The 265 gr Hornady FP is the only bullet expressly made for the velocities of the 444. Pistol bullets are marginal for hunting as they won't stay together at 444 velocities but can make great plinkers or for varmints as long as the pelts are irrelevant. I've run a bunch of the 240's thru mine and accuracy is decent but these bullets on a coyote at 100 yds leaves a hole going in the size of a quarter and the exit hole big enough to stand in. This won't work on a large animal where penetration is ideal. The 265's will hit a feral hog of 500+lbs about like a Peterbilt considering most are dead before they hit the ground. You can expect a complete pass thru with the 265's at up to 200 yds depending on the angle of the shot.

You'll also hear from the guys that shoot the 45-70 and they'll want to tell you that the 444 takes a back seat to the 45-70. You can talk all ya want with the numbers, I've carried both and the animals can't tell the difference. They die when the bullet gets there and the animal can only be so much dead, so more is not always better. You'll end up liking that Marlin a lot. Enjoy!

Roaddog
November 18, 2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info folks. I will check out that web site. I do have a 45-70 Sharps but luging a 10.5 pound gun around gets to be quite a chore for a ole' fart like me. I'll give the H4198 powder and 265gr Hornady bullets a try.

giaquir
November 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
+1--Loader9