PDA

View Full Version : Romanian PSL 54c VS iCanada CETME

BergisheLandSaint11
November 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hello,

I have a Very nice romanian psl, direct import, chromed rifling, good mil-spec condition.

Have a friend who wants to trade me a CETME made in canada (before shipment to the states for the century abortions, made by iCanada?)

and a cz 52 with a 9mm conversion....

Now i will be serving in the Ohio Military Reserve soon, and Im wondering which will be more effective in a combat/survival/military setting.

and to say thanks to the gents who respond, I will upload a couple pix of the beauty and a couple of my aquistions. First post, yeah im a noob. sorry for any noobness

SurplusShooter
November 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
I would keep the psl cheaper to shoot and it is already scoped plus you have the irons if you need them just flip the lever and off goes the scope.

BergisheLandSaint11
November 16, 2011, 09:31 PM
True, But at the same time...PSLs are more fragile than svds, meaning gotta watch the 184+ grain. CETMES will eat anything you feed them and bury them in the dirt.

My ideal package is A Long range rifle, and a close range assualt rifle i.e. cetme and draco or psl and ak...cant decide.

My sidearm will be the cz 52 and glock 22.

rex_lee
November 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
HELL NO. I have a PSL, and briefly owned a CETME. Century Arms CETME's are basically junk. It never fired more than 3 rounds without jamming, and abused the cases it did extract. Research CETME's first. Google CETME feeding issues or something along those lines. I wish I had before I dropped cash on it.

dakota223
November 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
Don't know much on the ohio military reserve. but if it was me I'ld go for calibers that are readily available by local law enforcement. since its under the governor. Going with calibers the state patrol uses might be more benneficial.

chack
November 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Now i will be serving in the Ohio Military Reserve soon, and Im wondering which will be more effective in a combat/survival/military setting.
What is the Ohio Military reserve? I never heard of any such organization. Are you talking about the Ohio Army/Air National guard?

the US Army/Navy/Airforce/Marine reserve in Ohio? Some sort of militia?

If it's a government agency then they'll provide you a weapon and train you on it. It will be a M16A2 or M4 unless you get assigned as a machine gunner.

If you want to choose a personal weapon that will help you train for your military job, get an AR 15. That being said, the CETME would at least allow you to scavenge ammo or brass under the right circumstances, which are pretty rare.

As far as the deal, I think you'd come out on top in cash value, but I never liked the CETME. I've also heard that the PSL is only capable of more than mediocre accuracey unless you get the special load it was designed to use.

tulsamal
November 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Some sort of militia?

I'm assuming that's the correct answer!

Century Arms CETME's are basically junk. It never fired more than 3 rounds without jamming,

Now I don't go around recommending Century rifles or CETME's in general. But you can't say that like it applies to every one made. I've got a Century CETME with the nice wood furniture and it has never given me even one malfunction. The design itself has issues but my particular example works just fine. Even with a (gasp) Hesse receiver!

Gregg

Katophract
November 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
PSL. I have a PSL and my twin brother has a CETME. It took a lot of work to get his running right. The PSL's are ammo sensitive, but if you find a load it likes, it'll be more accurate than the CETME and easier to scope. It's not a sniper rifle and its not a battle rifle, its somewhere in between. Bulk up on surplus 7.62x54r for practice and get some good stuff for real situations.

BergisheLandSaint11
November 17, 2011, 03:18 PM
No its not a militia...think volunteer Reserve. We dont get paid, we train twice a month, 5 days a year in ft.benning I believe (read about it, waiting to be contacted by a recruiter) Its not a militia.

And ok i think the guys full of **** anyways...he told me they had russian svds on centerfire.com for 699....sent me a pic and it was the psl parts kit.

Im keeping the p.s.l. I severely miss my FN FAL, i had 30 round mags for it.

Sucker was a mule

BergisheLandSaint11
November 17, 2011, 03:20 PM
And oh crap...Not a Hesse!

Lord almighty my roof about caved in.

Ive heard horror stories about those

BergisheLandSaint11
November 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
The ohio military reserve is a true civillian army, not a militia. He said we would work with the national guard in a disaster.

Now correct me if im wrong...but he said its not a militia but throught the governor so....

tulsamal
November 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
And oh crap...Not a Hesse!

Yeah, I ordered it from Southern Ohio years ago. I saw one and liked the wood stock on a black rifle. When it came into my transfer dealer's shop and I saw the Hesse name on the receiver, I almost told him to send it back. But it physically looked fine so I decided to try it out first. As I said, it's had hundreds of rounds of surplus NATO ammo run through it without the first sign of a problem. The trigger is better than most of the G3 style rifles. That loud brake means it doesn't kick much. There isn't an easy way to put things like red dots on it but that's a design issue. Just like the crazy way you drive out pins to take it apart. So maybe I got the one in a thousand but mine has worked fine from day one without any "fluffing and buffing" whatsoever. It will even use G3 mags. (I do shake my head over that crazy backwards safety.)

Yes, I do have two FAL's and they are far superior in every way. Except I do still think the wood stock on the CETME is distinctive.

Gregg

tulsamal
November 17, 2011, 03:41 PM
I stand corrected:

http://ohmr.ohio.gov/

Should have done the Google search before opening my mouth.

Gregg

BergisheLandSaint11
November 17, 2011, 06:40 PM
Yup its ok

I really want to check it out...sounds real good. Help people out

But the question is...how would we be used if the scenario we are in place for plays out.

Ive been trying to be a soldier since I was 18...a stupid childhood illness that cant come back held me from the army, marines and air force. Navy wouldnt even return my call. I scored highest in my class of 100+ in the asfab...they took me into the office to make sure I was going to sign up...

Its funny how you can try your hardest to do something you love, but ultimately **** in the wind.