PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM9 Break In

GI Sandv
November 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've got a PM9 that I bought a few months ago. I've been to the range with it a few times already and love it. It's also my every day carry, usually with a Remora holster, IWB. I'm wondering what everyone else's experience with the break in of their PM9s (or CM9s) was. I have a few reasons for asking:

1) I bought it used and was unsure how many rounds had been put through it before. It was very clean and showed no marks or signs of wear, which makes me suspect that it was very lightly used before.

2) Following on that, I noticed that the trigger has lightened significantly. I have put upwards of 500 rounds through it, although I haven't been keeping close track. How long did it take everyone else to notice the trigger pull lightening?

3) I have had a few FTFs, but nothing significant enough to worry me. Other places in this forum, members have mentioned that their PM9s have worked flawlessly either out of the box or after the recommended 200 rounds break in. Mine has gone through more than 200 rounds and still has occasional FTFs. I chalk it up largely to cheaper ammo, but wonder if anyone has had similar problems after the 200 break in period.

GUNSNGOLD
November 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
i had a pm9 that never ran 100% either, it was probably 95-98% like what your experiencing. i ran over 1000 rounds through it thinking it would clear with break in but it never did. i finally gave up on it and dumped it.

recently i picked up an LC9 and have 1000+ flawless rounds through it, one more time to the range and its going on my hip.

orionengnr
November 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've owned a PM9 since sometime in late 2005/early 2006. It fell within the serial number range that was afflicted with the "barrel peening" issue. Mine had feeding issues. I contacted Kahr; they said "send it in".

With their permission, I sent the "top half" and they replaced every bit of it. It has worked perfectly ever since. I pocket carried it every day (and shot it several times per month) for the next 3 1/2 years, before moving up to it's big brother, the P45.

Even though I generally carry a larger handgun these days, my PM9 is a keeper. It is (IMHO) a perfect combination of size, power and capacity.

AustinTX
November 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
What exactly is the cheap ammo you're using? If you're using WWB or Federal Champion and you've had several malfunctions out of 500 rounds, I'd call that a reason for very serious concern. This not a range toy. A carry pistol is something that must be trusted to function flawlessly.

Niner4Tango
November 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hey, GI Sandv, what is an FTF, a failure to feed? If the bullet is nosediving into the feed ramp, or if the round is partially chambering but the slide won't fully close, you are having a failure to return to battery. This is a failure that does happen on PM9's but is easily fixed. I kind of guess this is the problem, since your pistol should be broken in by now.

Assuming this is the issue: keep it lubed and replace the recoil spring/guide rod assy.

For lube, I use Tetra Gun Oil. Put plenty on the outside of the barrel and the slide rails. This is at least weekly maintenance for me.
The recoil spring and guide rod should be replaced around 1000 rounds. Kahr will sell or send you a replacement. Give them a call and tell them about the problem.

I bet this will fix you up. These are reliable guns. But the small size makes them kind of like hot rods, they need a little maintenance.

gator1gear
November 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't have enough rounds through my CM9 to get pass the reccomended break in period, but the rounds I've been through (115) have been flawless!

GI Sandv
November 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
AustinTX, I can't remember the name of the ammo offhand--will have to check. It was whatever was for sale at Cabella's last time I was there. The boxes ran from $10.99-$13.99/50 rounds. I was intentionally trying to see whether these would gunk up the gun and create problems. I should not, this seemed to happen immediately after moving from the 6 round magazine to the 7 round magazine. However, I may have misspoken w/re to the issue actually being failure to fire.

Niner4Tango, you are correct and I misspoke. In the past, I've had problems with rounds sticking in the chamber while feeding, preventing the slide from seating or going into battery. I did not have this happen this last time. Instead, the rounds seemed to point downward (nosediving I presume?) in the magazine. I had to lock the slide back, press the magazine release and then use more force than usual to remove the magazine. Does this sound like the problem you were talking about? What about a faulty/worn guide rod and recoil spring would cause this to occur? Is there a way I can check for this issue specifically before I call Kahr? I've heard some people say that Kahr has asked them to send in their guns when they had unspecified problems. As my every day carry, I prefer not to part with it for a few weeks.

BoxC
November 14, 2011, 08:21 PM
I have had a PM9 for about a year now and have had zero failures. I have fired multiple brands of cheap FMJ's, Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P's and Federal Hydra-Shok's with no problems. The only thing I did to mine was to add the factory stick-on rubber pads. They really made a difference in my scores and controllability without adding any real bulk to the pistol.

Mosin44az
November 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
GI Sandy, it sounds like you're using Herter's if you got it at Cabela's. If so, avoid. I had a squib load of that stuff that nearly blew up my LCP. I was lucky it made it only a short way down the barrel to prevent the next round from going into battery.

GI Sandv
November 15, 2011, 12:45 AM
Mosin44az, one of the boxes was in fact Herter's. However, I think the one I was really having problems with was PPU. I had never heard of them but picked up a box because I wanted to try it out. However, if it turns out to have been the recoil spring and guide rod, the ammo may have had nothing to do with it.

Niner4Tango
November 15, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hi GI Sandv, you didn't misspeak, you were just keeping your post succinct. :)

Yeah, when you get a nosedive, it locks everything up and clearing the failure means working the slide, pulling the mag...holding your mouth just right. It's a major malfunction.

Also, when loading the mag you do have to make sure the rounds tip up. Sounds like you have that figured out.

Call Kahr and tell them you don't want to part with the weapon, but it's hanging up and you need a spring/guide rod assy. Let us know what they tell you. From my experience a spring/guide rod and lube will get it perking.

Like you, I have an XD (or, like 5 of them). Once you get your PM9 sorted out, it will be just as reliable.

gator1gear
November 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
I saw a video on youtube on the CM9, and the peron shooting the video was complaining of problems he had with the 7 round mag. The biggest problem was that the 7 round mag for some reason would allow the rounds to hit the bottom of the feed ramp due to the angle that the rounds sat in the mag

KyJim
November 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
I've also seen posts indicating the 7 rounders might be more problematic. I would also change recoil springs. Change every 600 rounds or so.

spodwo
November 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
Zero issues with close to 700 rounds and I do use the cheap Tula, WWB and Federal.

Mrgunsngear
November 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have a CM9 with over 500 trouble free rounds through it, not one FTF or FTE. I noticed a smoothing of the trigger after about 100 rounds and 300 or so dry fires. I wouldn't say it's lighter, but it is smoother.

Mrgunsngear
November 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have a CM9 with over 500 trouble free rounds through it, not one FTF or FTE. I noticed a smoothing of the trigger after about 100 rounds and 300 or so dry fires. I wouldn't say it's lighter, but it is smoother.

JH
November 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
The PM9 has an excellent record for reliability. Go to kahrtalk.com and check on the post in the tech subforum on proper prep of a Kahr. It is really helpful. There is an excellent diagram about proper lubing of the pistol. The 7round magazine has been problematic for many users. I exchanged mine for a 6 rounder. My PM9 has never missed a beat in 7-800 rounds. However, I spent considerable time following the preparation guidelines before I ever shot it. I also used a felt dremel tip & Flitz to polish the feed ramp & the chamber. The tolerances on this pistol are very close so some tweaking is occasionally necessary. You may discover the problems you mentioned are easily resolved. I've had 5 Kahr pistold and 4 were exceptionally reliable. I got rid of the P380...a model that is clearly not ready for prime time. Good luck.

Shadi Khalil
November 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
That's a pistol that needs to go back to the factory. Don't carry it until you know it been repaired

thinktwice
November 16, 2011, 12:08 AM
A friend of mine has a PM-9 he bought new. He had FTE and some FTF problems for the first 200-250 rounds. Since then he has put well over 1000 flawless rounds down range with zero problems. I have a MK-9 Elite I also bought new, and have at least 2000 rounds through it, and it was good to go right out of the box. Not one failure of any kind.

By the way how do you like the Remora holster? I just ordered one so I hope it works as well as they say it does.

C0untZer0
November 16, 2011, 12:39 AM
It's a shame that there's such a huge disparity in ammo quality.

if you fire the cheap stuff - you have no idea if your gun is OK or if it's the ammo and you end up firing ammo that costs $30 a box.

I am through with the Remington L9MM3.

I know the MK9 /CM9 / PM9 don't have the ammo restrictions on them like the Kimber Solo and the Rohrbaugh R9. Like Rohrbaugh you can't load it with +P ammo, and a lot of users report that the pistols favor Gold Dots, But on the other hand... if you're feeding your R9 Gold Dots and it's choking on them - you damn well know you have a problem with the gun.

thug23
November 16, 2011, 03:06 AM
When I was trying to find a CCW years ago I had read tons & tons of posts on numerous gun forums and reviews from others and what they thought was the best CCW.
Obviously it was difficult to narrow down to one purchase but somehow I decided that the Kahr PM9 was the one so off to the gun shop I went and made the buy.
And trust me I was apprehensive to make the purchase because I honestly read a lot of negative reports on it and thought it would be just my luck that mine would be a lemon too.
Today, some 6-7 years later I still carry my PM9 daily in either a belly-band holster or kydex IWB w/clip and in the simplest terms...I LOVE IT & ITS MY MOST RELIABLE GUN...PERIOD.
I have fired thousands & thousands of rounds thru this little monster and I know you will never believe me but I have only had a couple of stove-pipes occur and nothing more serious than that...its been unbelievable.
I own a few other guns like Glock, S&W and Ruger and they are all very good too but at one time or another something had happened with them that has concerned me but the Kahr PM9 has been the one I decided to use to defend my life with.:D

AustinTX
November 16, 2011, 10:29 AM
The PM9 has an excellent record for reliability.

For a Kahr.

checkmyswag
November 17, 2011, 03:18 PM
The Kahr fits my hand SO well! But I like the LC9 for its better reliability. Yes I also like the Kahr trigger better but carry comfort and reliability trump most other things for me. (If you are upset that I said the Ruger is more reliable Kahr. Sorry. Your individual Kahr may be 100%as reliable. Awesome!)

GI Sandv
November 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
thinktwice,

By the way how do you like the Remora holster? I just ordered one so I hope it works as well as they say it does.

I like it quite a bit, due largely to its versatility. It's nowhere near as good as a solid leather holster. But, on the other hand, it doesn't depend on clips, a belt, or anything else to attach itself to your pants or wherever. So, it allows me to adjust throughout the day to wear it (almost always IWB, as opposed to pocket carry) high and canted forward, slid back more on my back, below my waistband if I want to be absolutely certain no one sees it when I bend over (I work in a place with a strict no guns policy), etc. Also, if I'm in a public restroom or even when I get home and change, I can take it out of my waistband without removing it from the holster, which prevents it from scratching up other surfaces. And I can also keep it safely inside a holster while wearing my robe to take my dog outside late at night. So, not as cool as a $100 formed rawhide holster, but far more versatile.

federali
November 17, 2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, there was a bad run of PM9s that required service. I think it was the earliest runs, maybe 2002-2006.

larryh1108
November 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
I've had my PM9 for almost 4 years now. When I first bought it I also purchased new mag springs from Wolff Springs. I had read of the feeding issues online so I changed the mag springs before taking it out for the first time. I now have almost 2000 flawless rounds thru it. It may be the Wolff Springs or maybe I got a "good" gun but I believe that more powerful mag springs can't hurt. I also polished the feed ramp as well but if it nosedives in the mag then that makes no difference.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29

The PM9 is sensitive to limp wristing. When my daughter or other buddies shot it, it would have FTRB every now and then. I never had that problem when I shot so I assume it was the grip of the shooter. Like someone said, the PM9 has such tight tolerances to be so small that you do need to find ammo that it likes and to make sure you keep it clean and well lubed if you carry it daily. Treat it well and it will treat you well.