PDA

View Full Version : Glock 31C Issue......

yosemiddysam
November 14, 2011, 03:50 PM
I recently purchased a Glock 31C 357 Sig. This is my First Glock that I have owned and to be honest, the best shooting, most accurate hand gun I have ever fired. I had no failures to feed or fire and everything seemed fine. After shooting 50 rounds through it (54 rounds total for the gun) however I disassembled it and found that right dead center of the upper slide rails were getting gouged on both sides. I looked all over for the cause and nothing stands out. This is the same area that has Normal wear on some of the other Glocks I have seen but mine seems MORE than normal wear since only 50 rounds were fired through it. I cleaned the gun prior to shooting it and the scratches/gouges were not there. Has anyone else had this kind of damage? I have also heard that some of the 31C's had been recalled. Where can I find the info on that? Thanks for any help!!

yosemiddysam
November 14, 2011, 03:53 PM
I also own a S&W Model 59 9mm, Taurus TCP .380 (wifes) lol and use a Berretta 9mm for military use so I am not a Glock only individual.

ATW525
November 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
If it is wearing on the bottom of the slide on both sides of the ejection port, it's called "slide peening" and perfectly normal. You can do a google image search for "Glock Slide Peening" if you want to see what it looks like. The .357 Sig is a higher pressure round than most, so it might peen a little more than some other Glocks but it's nothing to worry about.

voyager4520
November 15, 2011, 07:53 AM
It's normal for Glocks, it's caused by the frame flexing during recoil which allows the front corners of the locking block to jump up and rub into the slide in those spots. It will wear to a certain point, then stop. The only concern to have is that some of the metal can be gouged inward toward where the barrel sits, if that happens you or a gunsmith can gently file off the excess metal "lip" so it doesn't interfere with the movement of the barrel.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16896920&postcount=1

I've never heard of any G31C's being recalled. There was a series of frames that had a problem which could allow the rear frame rails to break off, those frames would have a three-letter serial number prefix beginning with "E". Not all of those frames were affected, but a significant number were. If you have such a frame you can call Glock and ask if your frame needs to be replaced, and if so you can arrange to send it back to them for a replacement frame. I'd suggest asking for a prepaid shipping label if they don't outright offer one.

yosemiddysam
November 15, 2011, 08:03 AM
I google searched it and some of the images look similiar to mine. I am gonna try to post some images of mine today. I looked at the rest of my hand guns and none of them had the issue. After reading and showing the damage to a Buddy of mine who was a Marine Corps Armorer....he said it was slide peening. Thanks for sending me that direction. I greatly appreciate it. I will gently file it smooth ith a jewelers file and it should be good as new.

mongo356
November 15, 2011, 01:48 PM
As Voyager4520 pointed out, sounds like slide peening. It's normal and usually goes to a point then stops.

I have a older locking block style G22 40s&w (one of the first 1,000 3rd Gen guns), It peened bad enough it took a chunk out of bottom the slide, it still trucks flawlessly today.

I had a brief bout of the 357Sig sickness. I still say that G32 I had was the most accurate Glock I have ever fired. Thats one heck of a pistol round.

yosemiddysam
November 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
This is my first Glock....I absolutely love it with the exception of the peening. I bought it from a friend who needed money for 350 bucks with the lasermax internal laser included. I dont think I did too bad on it.

yosemiddysam
November 15, 2011, 01:54 PM
Oh and for everyone saying that the Compensated version Blackens the sights.....I sent 50 rounds through it and my sight is just as clean as it was when I started. I also did not notice any of the gases contacting me. It is quite loud though but I will take loud for a very accurate hard hitting pistol.

mongo356
November 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
I would say you did very well.

Just a side note (you may already know this) just a simple G22 barrel swap and you have a 40s&w (cheaper ammo & somtimes easier to find).

it's possible to do a 9mm conversion bbl but the process can involve more than a simple barrel change.

yosemiddysam
November 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
Yes I knew about the Barrel swap. Problem is I want a 40 but I want one that is small enough to C/C.