PDA

View Full Version : OWB Holster

GuyM9
November 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
Due to some medical issues and unexpected weight loss I find carrying IWB is no longer comfortable, so I am going to switch to OWB and cover garments. I do not have any quality OWB holsters and the ones I do have do not hold the pistol butt as close and tight to my body as my IWB ones do.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to which OWB holsters will hold a Browning BHP or a BDM close and tight?

Thanks,

Guy

Jim243
November 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
I would suggest something like this.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/4-inch-barrel-medium-and-intermediate-do.html

Jim

bossman
November 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
Try something like a Galco Silhouette holster and run the belt to the outside of the holster. It's a hi-ride holster and is top heavy so the gun leans out but by running the belt to the outside it snugs it up to the body. Works really good with my 1911's.

http://usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=966&CatalogID=4

KyJim
November 11, 2011, 01:28 PM
I would suggest what is known as the classic "pancake" style of holster. They conceal very well which is what makes them so popular. You absolutely need a good gun gun belt. Sometimes you can get away with only a "decent" heavy leather belt for IWB but not OWB. It also helps if the slots on the holster are the same size as the belt. In other words, if you have a 1.5 inch wide belt, get a holster with 1.5 inch slots and not 1.75 inch slots. While the wider slots will work okay, the right sized slots will work even better.

Lots of people make these in a wide variety of prices. Gould and Goodrich makes them, for example: http://www.gouldusa.com/products/productLine_catType.php?type=Open+Top+Two+Slot+Holster&line=Gold+Line+Concealment+Holsters%2C+Belts+%26+Accessories

BigJimP
November 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.kramerleather.com/products.cfm?categoryID=24

Kramer leather has a lot of options for you ...on their scabbard ...personally, I like a scabbard with a forward FBI tilt in horsehide. I have them for most of the guns I shoot ...like 1911's, K frame revolvers, and sig sauer 239's and 226's ...they're very good holsters.

They're about $ 130 or so in horsehide / a little less in cowhide.
--------------
Another company I've found recently Fist, Inc in New York ....has some pretty nice holsters.../ I picked a used one up for N frame S&W revolvers recently at the gun show - and I really like it. They should have something that will fit those guns as well. They have a good website.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

jason_iowa
November 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
I use a galco cop model. 3 slot. I got it from optics planet and would recommend both. Get a good belt with it. A good holster with a crappy belt will give you poor results.

Rinspeed
November 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
For an off the shelf holster I'm a big fan of the Galco Concealable.

GuyM9
November 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the answers so far.

Does anybody have an opinion on Comp-Tac's kydex paddle holster? It sounds like that would be the ideal one for me if it actually holds close to the body as claimed.

Thanks,

Guy

Mrgunsngear
November 12, 2011, 09:18 AM
For OWB, I'm a big fan of the Don Hume 721 OT. If you don't want the open top, the snap model should be just as good. I use 721s for my heavier guns (all steel 1911s, Beretta 92s, ect...).

JerryM
November 12, 2011, 10:26 AM
Pancake with either slots or snaps.
If you do not need a sweat shield the Sparks I-BAK is great, and rides so that the shoulder does not have to move so far to draw.

I like quality holsters such as Sparks, 5 Shot, Nossar, Brommeland, Alessi. Yes, a good belt is necessary, but I normally prefer a 1.25" unless I were going to carry a steel 5" 1911, which I don't.

I have no difficulty concealing OWB with a shirt worn outside the pants.
Jerry

Water-Man
November 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
Lobo Gun Leather - Enhanced Pancake Holster

bossman
November 12, 2011, 11:17 AM
I haven't seen any paddle holsters that hold close to the body. It sounds great but just not for CCW ok for range work.

Rinspeed
November 12, 2011, 02:04 PM
There might be some good ones but the couple paddle holsters I've owned sucked for concealment.

JH
November 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
+1 on Kramer belt slide holster. Very well made.

JerryM
November 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
I also have never used a paddle holster that held the gun close enough to the body. The higher they ride the more the gun rides out.
I have a Galco for a M60 3" and it is poor in that area that I never use it.

Jerry

KyJim
November 13, 2011, 01:31 AM
I've tried one paddle holster and didn't like it. Agree that it wasn't high and tight.

KenW.
November 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have yet to find a paddle holster I like. Been checking them out like all other holsters, for the 15 years I've been carrying handguns professionaly. I won a Safariland paddle that lives in the box o' holsters in the closet.

Billy Shears
November 14, 2011, 10:54 AM
I tried paddle holsters for years and never found one that would keep my weapon close enough to my body that I was confident it would stay concealed.

Finally threw them all in a cabinet, bought a nice leather Desantis Speed Scabbard and never looked back.

lambertsteeth
November 14, 2011, 08:04 PM
Alessi CQC-S.
It's a molded leather holster. The one way snaps make putting the gun on/taking off easy, without loosening your belt. Holds the gun high, and tight to your body.
Not cheap, but an excellent choice. Still less expensive than most custom holster makers.

84Carrera
November 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
+1 for Kramer Leather. I own an OWB scaboard in horsehide for my S&W 4006. It holds the gun very close and tight. Can't go wrong with them.

ClydeFrog
November 19, 2011, 12:58 AM
As for the type(over the waist band/strong side), I'd ask if you'd want a FBI type cant or angled draw, a high ride system, a security strap or retention system(to secure the pistol), your budget($) etc.
For a Hi-Power, I'd look into a Milt Sparks Road Runner(or whatever the model is now called). It's a high ride design but high quality for deep concealment. Other good brands include High Noon Holsters, Ted Blocker, Don Hume, Safariland(the ALS & SFS), the Blackhawk SERPA, Galco, Kirkpatrick Leather, Mernickle Holsters, COM Holsters, & Kramer Leather.

ClydeFrog

JIMSPD9
November 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
Try Galco Stinger holster on Optics Planet. I use one for my PPS, a PPK, & a S&W mod 37 snubbie. good quality leather at $30+ change.

Best holster catalog on the net.

JIMSPD9