PDA

View Full Version : In The Home Carry

Don P
November 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
This from Massad Ayoob in a recent email message and mods it states share this at the bottom.
It has been discussed here about folks who carry at home and have a handgun on them as being paranoid. maybe this will cause those folks to rethink the point. So here for your reading,
WHY WE CARRY GUNS
Posted: 09 Nov 2011 04:36 AM PST
A pleasant senior citizen couple living out the remainder of their golden years in a quiet, bucolic place.
A madman.
Bad combination. See the link below, sent to me this morning by a nationally respected police chief.
http://www.king5.com/news/Elderly-Humptulips-man-was-shot-with-crossbow-wife-attacked-with-axe-133395258.html
I am reminded of the two teen thrill killers who conned their way into the home of a beloved couple in Hanover, New Hampshire some years ago. Google “Zantop Murders.” The little fiends butchered that good man and woman like Jack the Ripper.
Not long before the atrocity, the same pair had surrounded a home in nearby Vermont, cut the power lines, and attempted the same thing. This time, though, they were met by a dad who protected his kids with a Glock drawn from his ever-present holster, and fled like the cowards they were.
There is, I submit, a lesson in this.
It’s why I carry a handgun at all times when on my own rural property. When a sudden, unprovoked attack comes, there won’t be time to run to the gun safe.
Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. May others learn from their sacrifice, that it may not be repeated.
Share or Bookmark

As some stated in earlier disscusions where these folks living in a place that they should move from. I think not. Bad things can/will happen no matter where we live/work or travel to.

BlueTrain
November 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
I agree completely. My home is one of the most dangerous places I know of. I stay away as much as possible.

briandg
November 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
I don't carry in home. I would given other circumstances. If I was on rural property around here, I would almost certainly carry outside of the home. There is nothingn stupid about carrying in home. I do think that many who do carry in home are probably overestimating their situation, and they could probably live out a thousand lifetimes in their current circumstances without having ever had a home invader.

In reality, I see this particular incident as beyond redemption. Because they were the people that they were, with community responsibilities, they were at times compelled to open their homes. I don't think that the boys were acquainted with the people.

had the old man had a gun, it would not have mattered. An old many attacked by a young and strong predator by surprise probably didn't have a chance. his wife probably had no opportunity to get to a weapon, and would not have been carrying one if her husband had been armed.

The only reasons that this couple died were that there are psychopathic killers who strike at random, and their way of living put them in danger, just like a life of prostitution does. They were vulnerable to those boys, whereas I doubt that very many of the people here would have allowed those boys through their doors. I've allowed strangers into my home, but this article has once again reminded me to be on guard when I do.

I have always assessed my personal risk of a home invasion as moderate. We live in a complex neighborhood. two people simply out to kill may have chosen any of the homes in this neighborhood; specifically the SW corner of the intersection I live on. The old man and woman who live there are exact counterparts of the zantops. independent music teachers, who give lessons out of their home.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
Actually, I think carry in the home makes a lot of sense. The two prime aspects of a firearm for self-defense are keeping it out of the hands of unauthorized people/children and having it accesible in a very short time frame. Normally these two requirements are in direct conflict with each other. The one exception to this is a handgun you are wearing.

The handgun is safe from children and other unauthorized people because it is under your positive control at all times. It also provides the fastest practical response time if you need to access it in an emergency.

briandg
November 10, 2011, 10:06 AM
I want to add that no matter how safe the statistics say we are, denying the real possibility of catastrophe is a risk.

Nobody has ever invaded my home, but see what I found on my piano one morning. it found it's way into my basement through the chimney of my water heater. I found myself incapable of dealing with this home invader.

My house has been struck by lightning, when it hit, it blew the roof open, and struch the ceiling of my bedroom exactly dead center above my pillow. At least 3 more times, trees on my lot have been struck. We were missed by a couple miles by the EF5 that went through, and just this week, we had a minor quake.

How many one in a billion chances have I already lost in my lifetime? Why does a person assume that a billion to one chance of winning the lottery is different from the billion to one chance of a violent crime occurring? They spend hundreds of dollars in hopes that one will come true, and the other, they wander about their daily lives, oblivious to risk, in blind faith that the other won't happen.

I don't get it.

kraigwy
November 10, 2011, 10:09 AM
I live in a relatively safe place. Rural, 10 miles from town. Home invasions would not be on top of my list of worries.

Now, having said that I carry my 642 in my pocket constantly. I've shot rattlers under my back steps, I've come out of the shop and shot a fox raiding my chicken pen.

There is a pack of dogs that like to hang out at the mail box on the highway a mile away that kept my granddaughter from getting the mail.

Just a week ago I had to put down a horse. I'm not worried about two legged critters, but more then once I've found use for my pocket revolver.

Not worried about my grandkids, but some times they bring their little friends over. Not much of a chance of some kid digging through my pocket to get access to a loaded gun.

I've practiced and shot my little 642 that I've developed the confidence that I don't feel the need of a truck gun anymore.

ClayInTx
November 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
In this instance there was no advantage for carrying in or around the home because the killer apparently shot without giving an indication of his intent. We don’t know the details of the killing because there is no witness. We don’t know if the victim ever saw the killer.

Of course, a crossbow is hard to hide.

Essentially the victim was shot by a sniper. A visible sniper but a sniper just the same.

There is no guard against such as that.

I do carry in and around my home. It’s easy for me because I pocket carry an LCR and it’s just part of my normal dress: underwear, over wear, belt, shoes, watch, keys, wallet, pen knife, change, and revolver in pocket.

Am I paranoid? No, but I do know that somewhere, sometime, someone is out to get me. No, there is likely no one in the city who is intent on going out into the boondocks looking for Clay. He’s there but is merely looking for anyone who’s a possible target with money.

I’ve been there a few times and before I started carrying I got out of it by ruse or trickery.

Paranoid? The odds? Very high odds against it, thousands to one. Thousands are never hurt, but if you’re that ONE….

C0untZer0
November 10, 2011, 10:56 AM
You could make an argument that you should wear a Level IIa jacket too... But people usually don't.

We also don't know how the husband was shot. Was he shot from behind? Was the shooter concealed?

As has been said - having a gun doesn't protect you from a sniper. If it did - snipers wouldn't be even 1/10th as effective as they are because 99% of their targets are armed.

However, body armor probably would have protected Ralph Aldrich, aside from a head shot, a jacket with front and back Level IIa panels would have stopped an arrow.

I don't know how the situation unfolded with June Aldrich, but probably a case could be made that having a gun would have helped her.

bikerbill
November 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
That's a horrific story -- a guy wandering around with a crossbow doesn't attract any attention???? -- and the odds are that carrying a bazooka wouldn't have helped the victims.

I live in a quiet little town, I and most of my neighbors are retired, and I don't anticipate being attacked in my house or yard. That said, I pocket carry an NAA Pug all the time at home, and am never more than a few steps from the 1911s in my bedroom and living room.

The odds of being attacked are small, but when you're dead or maimed because you were unarmed, the odds don't matter. We have the right to be armed in this country, and I'm taking advantage of that right.

pax
November 10, 2011, 01:17 PM
his wife probably had no opportunity to get to a weapon, and would not have been carrying one if her husband had been armed.

Why not?

I know dozens of women who carry regularly. To the best of my knowledge, none of them disarm simply because their husbands are armed.

When I encounter a student who says something like, "Well, I don't need to carry a gun because my husband does," I (gently!) help her see the serious error in that kind of thinking.

pax

dalegribble
November 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
carrying at home is a good idea but usually i'm wearing a t-shirt, underwear and slippers. i don't like a shoulder holster, i'm thinking maybe a jock strap type holster or ankle holster but i'm not sure. also where would i put an extra mag or two? any help is appreciated.

BGutzman
November 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
My wife and I regularly carry in the house because carry has been so integrated into our lives. It actually takes a conscious effort to not carry which only occurs when we are preparing to go someplace it would be unlawful to carry.

My wifes work forbids it so she doesnt carry there but way more than not we are in ccw mode.

Patriot86
November 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
I like to keep a handgun around me at all times; I do not carry in my condo simply because a gun is typically only a couple of seconds away. On my family's Wisconsin Property I think its high time I invest in a Utah CCL so I can CC on our property there.

farmerboy
November 10, 2011, 02:01 PM
To Patriot, You can carry on private property without a CCL????

Bailey Boat
November 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
Having carried for so many years it is a subconsious decision. Pants on, armed, pants off......well, you get the idea. Carrying a handgun has become a normal part of getting dressed and I can't imagine what it would feel like to not feel that familiar weight, I would imagine uncomfortable.......

Don P
November 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
i'm thinking maybe a jock strap type holster or ankle holster but i'm not sure. also where would i put an extra mag or two? any help is appreciated.

Just get yer tighty-whitey's an extra size larger. Then ya got room for everything:eek:

markj
November 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
A good dog might haved helped. It is one of my early warning devices :) that works. 6 dogs, not one person can sneak up on me or come on my place without causing a ruckus day or nite.

Not sure if it would have made a difference here, seems pure evil will do evil things.

Stressfire
November 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Something to be said for prison inmates self-regulating their population. Don't make a habit of wishing harm on others, but I kinda hope they forget to put this poor excuse for a human being in protective custody and he gets to hang out in general pop. for awhile.

Would a firearm have helped? Possibly, but if shot from afar, I doubt it would have made a difference.

Burger
November 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
I agree completely. My home is one of the most dangerous places I know of. I stay away as much as possible.

HAHAHAHA, that made me laugh!!!

I may not go as far as carrying in my own home, but I live by myself so I have a pistol here or 2 laying around that's much easier to get to them some punk trying to kick my door down.

MonsterB
November 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Disgusting and horrible story. Similar to one that happened in Nh several years ago when some punks broke into a house and slashed a mother to death and almost killed her young daughter at the same time. It was in an area you would never expect it to happen, and was just some punks looking to satisfy thier fantasy of killing. When Im not at work (in Mass, where Im not legal to carry), I have my Glock or S&W 686 on me at all times, even in the house. When I go to bed, its on the nightstand right next to me, with those glowing green eyes I can see in the dark at a glance. I dont see how anyone can think they know when an attack may come, it could be anywhere, at any time, in any place. No guarantees in life, and like others have stated, thinking you can get to the safe, unlock it, and get into action in time of a surprise is not being rational. People who go looking for trouble are usually not as much trouble as someone who is ready for them. Keep your self defense weapon with you at all times.

egor20
November 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
PaxI know dozens of women who carry regularly. To the best of my knowledge, none of them disarm simply because their husbands are armed.

The only time my wife's not carrying is when its her turn to have a drink (wine or sherry) when we go out to dinner.

Dwight55
November 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks to a suggestion from a Fla sheriff's deputy, a few months ago, . . . I obtained a commander sized 1911. I cannot tell you why it seems more comfortable than a full size, . . . but it does.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT it is much more comfortable to carry, . . . more convenient, . . . and I am back to 24/7 carry.

My home borders on a "several thousand" acre wildlife area/hunting area/state park, . . . and at certain times of the year, . . . Bubba and the mall ninja hunters arrive with what sounds like 40 round automatic 8 gauge shotguns.

About 2 miles away, . . . a young girl (early teen) lost her life to a rapist/murderer (never found), . . . and about 10 miles away an elderly lady was knifed in her bed by an attacker who put a ladder up to the second story, . . . cut the screen, . . . and he/she was never found either.

Yep, . . . I carry, . . . more or less 24/7, . . . in fact even when I am on TFL replying to an "In The Home Carry" thread :D

May God bless,
Dwight

Jeremiah/Az
November 10, 2011, 08:22 PM
I am an old man that lives alone in a very rural area. I get very few visitors, but when I do, they are usually lost & I have no idea what they are up to. Carrying to me is part of getting dressed. LEO's are 1/2 to more hours away.

I had a knock on the backdoor @ about midnight. He said," Sheriff's Department." I had not called them. I answered the door with a gun behind my back. When I turned to lay it on the table, he said that I scared him to death! He was lost.

Mobuck
November 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
My wife probably wouldn't carry a gun even if she lived in the middle of the most dangerous place in the country. Even if she did, it wouldn't do much good. When her cell phone rang a while ago, it took 11 rings before she could remember which pocket/orifice she'd stuck it in and dig it out to answer.

anthony6727
November 10, 2011, 09:36 PM
I carry all the time in my home. I used to not do that and just left my handgun in my nightstand on the 3rd floor of my house. I had an experience where I was working late in my home office in the basement and some hooligans started ringing our doorbell at 1:00 in the morning. Now while the incident was minor, I realized that my gun, while just upstairs, might as well have been a mile away. Had the hooligans broke down the door i would have been "caught with my pants down" per say. Ever since then i always carry. When i don't feel like wearing jeans, i use a shoulder holster.

Also, I don't have any kids yet, but I plan on keeping my handgun on my person at all times instead of leaving it in a safe.

Mello2u
November 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have adopted the same habit as Bailey Boat.

Right after I put on my pants, I holster my gun IWB, pull my shirt-tail over the handle, and it is concealed. I have been doing this for decades.

Onward Allusion
November 10, 2011, 11:40 PM
I carry at home as well, but I'm not sure if it would really do anything against snipers. Sometimes doo-doo happens. At 80-something, I would imagine it would be hard to defend oneself even armed 24x7. :(

9ballbilly
November 11, 2011, 12:50 AM
While I do not carry in the house my nightstand gun, a Ruger speed-six .38spl. loaded with +P 125gr. JHP's is never more than a few steps away. Fortunately I live in a small house. The very few times people have knocked on my door unexpectadly I've answered with it held behind my back. fortunately there was never a problem, almost all were just looking for directions. While I don't critisize or condemn anyone for carrying while at home, to me it's just too much of a PITA.

MLeake
November 11, 2011, 12:53 AM
While my wife doesn't carry, yet, two couples that are friends of ours are his-and-hers carriers.

One couple owns a 44' ketch, and travel the caribbean sometimes. Those two even practice pirate/hijacker drills, and have code words for "shoot the person(s) who are with me" when they travel.

So briandg's assumption is... well... an assumption. I have to agree with Pax. (And I'm trying to get my wife to carry.)

jason_iowa
November 11, 2011, 01:03 AM
I live in methland ya never know who's gonna come knocking or what they are on. Most times I have a 45 on me just because I have for 10 plus years. I only leave it in the car when I go into restricted places. I also have a shotgun and an AK in my room everything else is in the safe. I don't have any kids so that's not an issue. Its a boy scout thing not a paranoia thing.

After more then a decade of carrying this month was the first time I ever had to draw one and have never had to use it as a civilian. So I know the odds are in my favor against anything happening. I have never had use of my seat belt or helmet either but I wear em when I drive or ride.

jason_iowa
November 11, 2011, 03:30 AM
Buddy of mine just had his golden retriever attacked by a neighbors shepard in the back yard. No gun on him he just had to kick the shepard until it ran away.

therealdeal
November 11, 2011, 04:17 AM
About 2 miles away, . . . a young girl (early teen) lost her life to a rapist/murderer (never found), . . . and about 10 miles away an elderly lady was knifed in her bed by an attacker who put a ladder up to the second story, . . . cut the screen, . . . and he/she was never found either.

probably the same scumbag

therealdeal
November 11, 2011, 04:20 AM
I had a knock on the backdoor @ about midnight. He said," Sheriff's Department." I had not called them. I answered the door with a gun behind my back. When I turned to lay it on the table, he said that I scared him to death! He was lost.

this is very upsetting. I don't doubt your wits, as you have made it this far(you claimed you were an old man in your post). This guy is lucky you didn't point the gun at him. He wasn't the Sheriff's Office, right? If not, he is a very shady character in my book.

Nnobby45
November 11, 2011, 04:27 AM
I do think that many who do carry in home are probably overestimating their situation, and they could probably live out a thousand lifetimes in their current circumstances without having ever had a home invader.

Another odds maker.

The odds are 100% that it's going to continue to happen to many who had those same wonderful odds working in their favor.

And some won't even be living out one life time---since they'll be murdered like others "protected" by the odds.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Nnobby45
November 11, 2011, 04:34 AM
I don't usually carry in the home, though I'm not always in a hurry to remove my weapon when I do return home.

I have made and effort to make it difficult for Bubba and his friends to cut me off from a weapon if there's a sudden unexpected entry:cool:.

Don P
November 11, 2011, 07:17 AM
Thankfully the wife is as much of a gun nut as I am ans she too carries when ever possible. Better to be prepared than the :eek::eek:

TexasJustice7
November 11, 2011, 08:02 AM
QUOTE: ClayInTex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I paranoid? No, but I do know that somewhere, sometime, someone is out to get me. No, there is likely no one in the city who is intent on going out into the boondocks looking for Clay. He’s there but is merely looking for anyone who’s a possible target with money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you. I normally carry two guns on me, the third in my pocket, due to some threatening behavior, after I had called the police out
regarding theft. And I have friends who think that wearing two guns openly in my home is paranoid and would rather become a potential victim.

I saw someone who had a quote which said, "Paranoid? Maybe, Likely Victim-- I don't think so". And that is the way I look at it. I can't stop crime, am not a police officer, and am not intent on doing that. But I think I have a pretty good chance of preventing me or my daughter from becoming a victim. But the pocket gun is a constant, too along with my primary carry it is almost always in my pocket outside the home.

Stressfire
November 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
My wife probably wouldn't carry a gun even if she lived in the middle of the most dangerous place in the country. Even if she did, it wouldn't do much good. When her cell phone rang a while ago, it took 11 rings before she could remember which pocket/orifice she'd stuck it in and dig it out to answer.

"Good" to know I'm not alone...I'm workin' on her (tactfully, I did pay attention to the "How to get your wife to hate guns" section on Cornered Cat;)), but I think the Lions have a better chance at the Super Bowl:confused:

UtopiaTexasG19
November 11, 2011, 09:46 AM
I have been fortunate in my career of 41 years to have lived and worked in 17 foreign countries and am now back in the US permanently though I still do consultation work over the Internet. I have never felt the need to carry a gun at any time. Just my opinion, please don't flame.....

L_Killkenny
November 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
Proponents of something will always find examples to justify their position. I can find where a guy fell off a 2 foot ladder and broke his neck but that doesn't mean I'll wear a stinkin harness everytime I look at a ladder.

Home invasions where people are murdered, raped or severely beaten can and do happen everyday. But it's absurd to even try to prepare for everyone of life's downfalls let alone the ones with the least probabilities. That's why we wear seat belts but not helmets when driving, why we tie off when working in high places but not when on a 2 foot ladder and why we don't go jogging with dark clothes on in the middle of the highway at night.

You want to feel the need to go heeled while walking around your house go for it. I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same as I would a jogger running around a high school track with a flashing DOT barricade strapped to his back in broad daylight.

LK

Kevin Rohrer
November 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
People who use anomalies to justify behavior need to have someone buy them a large dose of Reason.

I don't need to carry a gun in my own house anymore than I need to wear a life preserver in the bathtub or carry a defibrillator attached to me.

Patriot86
November 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
To Patriot, You can carry on private property without a CCL????

I am not really an expert on WI gun laws yet. If memory serves OC is legal but they had some odd restriction of motor vehicles (considering I use a tractor there a lot thats a no no) I would rather just be 100% covered with an out of state recognized CCL.

Stressfire
November 11, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same as I would a jogger running around a high school track with a flashing DOT barricade strapped to his back in broad daylight.

People who use anomalies to justify behavior need to have someone buy them a large dose of Reason.

Whatever happened to "do what works for you?" If you feel more comfortable strapped 24/7, who are you hurting?

pax
November 11, 2011, 11:13 AM

http://corneredcat.com/Are_You_Paranoid/

Sorry for just throwing the link up there & moving on, but I didn't feel like typing it all again.

pax

pax
November 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
A couple of people who posted above (you know who you are) need to re-read the forum rules. Specifically the bit about "no personal attacks." Nobody's over the line yet, but given the tenor of the posts a reminder seemed to be in order.

Speaking as the moderator, I'm weary of watching these types of threads degenerate into polarized sides muttering "paranoid!" and "sheep!" at each other. Let's not do that, this time.

pax

jason_iowa
November 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
I envy the people who don't feel the need to carry. I'm 99.99% sure I could go a hundred lifetimes and never need to use a weapon as a civilian. Why take any chances though? My peace of mind is more then worth having someone spit paranoid in my face.

Were all sheep and paranoid in some aspects of our lives at some point or another. I know I'm both most of the time.

Lee Lapin
November 11, 2011, 11:36 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it isn't the odds that matter. It's the stakes. I've carried from pants on till pants off for years, and will continue doing so. If you don't want to do that, it's your business. The only way I know of to have a gun when you really really need one is to have one at hand all the time. Some people try to address that issue by hiding guns all over the house. I'd rather have a gun on my person and not have to keep up with guns all over the place. Again, if you choose to hide guns all over, that's your business- feel free. Or if you want all your guns locked up in a safe all the time except when you're actually planning to use one, that's fine by me too. It's not my business, it's yours. Stuff happens, sometimes weird stuff happens, and on rare occasions having a gun at hand is a good idea. If you can predict when that will be, you're better than I am. I haven't learned to either predict or schedule my emergencies.

Local newspapers* had a story not long ago about sumdood who was using a shotgun from an overpass to disable cars on I-95 not far from here, then robbing the occupants when they pulled over. This is high weirdness as far as I'm concerned, nothing at all a normal person would expect to have happen on a normal day. But it happened. And it was uncomfortably close by. Fortunately the last set of people he tried to rob - guess what - had a handgun handy. Robeson County is a lot of things, but it's never boring...

* http://www.robesonian.com/view/full_story/16323622/article-Would-be-robber-beaten--arrested?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

* http://m.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/11/07/1135675?path=/articles/2011/11/07/1135675

* http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/view/full_story/16317990/article-Deputies-Gunman-beaten--arrested?instance=special_coverage_bullets_right_column

Stressfire
November 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Nice post, Lee, those pics are simply priceless.

TexasJustice7
November 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
QUOTE: Jason_IOWA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I envy the people who don't feel the need to carry. I'm 99.99% sure I could go a hundred lifetimes and never need to use a weapon as a civilian. Why take any chances though? My peace of mind is more then worth having someone spit paranoid in my face.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not certain about that myself because I don't live in a well fenced home
with an expensive security system, nor guard dogs because I choose to live in
an apartment complex because I don't want to buy a home I might be forced to sell. But I never worry about what others think. I been making up my own mind about such subjects all my life. What works for one person may not work for someone else. My philosophy is that if someone does pick my home to invade, I doubt they will give me the time to go to another room to get my gun, and I don't have small children. I would guess too that far more people carry guns all the time in Texas than in any other state. :)

Unistat76
November 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Actually, I think carry in the home makes a lot of sense. The two prime aspects of a firearm for self-defense are keeping it out of the hands of unauthorized people/children and having it accesible in a very short time frame. Normally these two requirements are in direct conflict with each other. The one exception to this is a handgun you are wearing.

The handgun is safe from children and other unauthorized people because it is under your positive control at all times. It also provides the fastest practical response time if you need to access it in an emergency.

I agree with this 100%. I also happen to live in a marginal neighborhood and having the gun at hand is important. Just yesterday I had a shady dude come to my door selling his "CD."

secret_agent_man
November 11, 2011, 01:16 PM
A lot of good a gun in a glove box is. This story illustrates the importance of keeping a combat grade knife handy in a vehicle at all times. Something for deep, plunging thrusts to rapidly incapacitate your opponent while minimizing your risk of injury. It's a given these days anytime you are around a road, you are a possible target. A sad commentary on the state of affairs in America, where you once could See The USA In Your Chevrolet and not have to lock your car doors at motels.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
But it's absurd to even try to prepare for everyone of life's downfalls let alone the ones with the least probabilities. That's why we wear seat belts but not helmets when driving,

The issue is not one of just probability; but consequences as well. The probability I will need a seat belt (to use your example) is extremely low. I wear one in spite of that low probability because the effort it takes to do so is minimal and the consequences of being on the wrong side of that probability can be very severe.

Personally, I've never understood the mentality that buys a handgun for self-defense purposes and then leaves the firearm in a nightstand or locked in a gun safe. The whole point in owning a handgun is that it is convenient to carry it. If you aren't going to carry it, why sacrifice accuracy and power for an advantage you'll never use?

I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same

If you want to go around unarmed pointing at armed people and laughing at them, that is your business; but it doesn't sound like good tactics to me ;)

therealdeal
November 12, 2011, 03:06 AM
Home invasions where people are murdered, raped or severely beaten can and do happen everyday. But it's absurd to even try to prepare for everyone of life's downfalls let alone the ones with the least probabilities. That's why we wear seat belts but not helmets when driving, why we tie off when working in high places but not when on a 2 foot ladder and why we don't go jogging with dark clothes on in the middle of the highway at night.

I disagree with this statement only because I feel the non-helmet as a coincidence. The tides of change come and go, and I can actually see helmets becoming more accepted while driving as the yrs roll on.

just like hockey

therealdeal
November 12, 2011, 03:14 AM
of course it is possible this won't happen too but if it did - just like many trends in society - it could gain momentum

Dwight55
November 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks, therealdeal, . . . I needed a grin and a giggle here early this morning.

just like hockey

As I read that, . . . I of course know that you meant the hockey that is played on the ice, . . . skates and sticks, etc. :D

Us rednecks, hillbillies, ranchers, and farmers know of a different hockey, . . . and I grinned when the thought came to me, . . . "Yeah, . . . it would be that kind of hockey if it came to government mandated helmets while driving." :eek:

Anyway, . . . thanks for the chuckle. ;)

May God bless,
Dwight

TexasJustice7
November 12, 2011, 04:05 PM
;)Some people think that if things are bad enough, what we need to do is move. There are cicumstances that prevent people from that option. Besides, since when do I want to allow the criminal elements to dictate where I will live. If I live in the city limits and the police can't protect me,
and if the government cannot provide homeland security, I provide my own.
This I think is the American way. Like the old sodbusters in the old west, who
kept moving everytime, they were pushed out. After awhile they got enough backbone to refuse to move. I don't go armed because I fear criminals. I go armed because I intend to raise the price for them to make me a victim. That does not guarantee I won't be a victim, but it raises the probablity that any home invader, or criminal intent on doing something pays the price. We are not very effective at changing any criminal's behavior, but we can make it cost them. So when crime comes to my neighborhood, I don't think it is time to pick up and move. Too much stubborn blood in me!

kimbershot
November 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
i'm moving to a gated community for old geezers (not quite there yet myself-but close:eek:). only have to worry if demented, blood thirsty geriatrics take their geritol.:rolleyes:then i will have to home carry.:cool:

secret_agent_man
November 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
seat belt...I wear one in spite of that low probability because the effort it takes to do so is minimal and the consequences of being on the wrong side of that probability can be very severe.

I wear one because the next ticket I get for not wearing one will be my third. The three strikes and you're out law could get me a life sentence. :rolleyes:

Toney
November 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
If i got my pants on my p3a2 is in my pocket. For the last few years i have'nt carried a bigger gun around the house, don't really expect anything to ever happen. I expect we at the most danger from road rage, someone that's been up for days on dope just has to think you cut then off or about anything. That's why i never leave home without packing.

psyfly
November 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
My old granny used to use the phrase, "...it just wears me out..." to express her frustration.

It just wears me out to hear people discuss "probability" or "chance" as if it has anything at all to do with an individual occurance.

I live in a nice, quiet, rural neighborhood (about 20 miles from a small town).

The crime rate (probability or chance) is very low.

In the past 20 years, I have had three friends and one acquaintance who were murdered in their nice rural homes (well, one in her front yard).

As others have intimated here, "It ain't about the odds, it's about the outcome."

I'm virtually always armed.

Best,

Will

FP2000H
November 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
There is almost always a gun within reach in my home. I'm usually am dry firing when I watch a movie/show or am on the computer, but I keep a live mag in my back pocket. If I'm going to sit, I'll pull the mag out and tuck it under my leg. I religiously check the chamber and mag on any gun I'm dry firing if I set it down and come back to it even if I know it would be impossible for a live round to have found its way in there. I realize it can also be dangerous to second guess oneself like that, but not second guessing myself is what led to my ND so... :o

Yeah, four rules and all that.

You are almost more vulnerable in your home because of the lax situational awareness that accompanies a feeling of security and safety. Think about when you're in the bathroom; think about when you're taking a shower! Imagine facing an intruder naked and wet. Forget that.

Dis ma rubber duky when I be washen ma ballz.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/FP2000H/IMG_0271.jpg

graysmoke
November 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
My Gunsmith got me to start carrying around my home. After telling me a few reasons why I should, it made a lot of common sence.

One main reason to carry in home....Home Invasions are on the constant rise as the most commited crime in America.

Crap happens very sudden, and un-announced....There is that split second you don't have time to go to the room in your home were the gun is kept.

kilimanjaro
November 13, 2011, 07:17 PM
Chance and probability have nothing to do with it. There is no roll of cosmic dice or a lotto drawing with your address number on it, the people who do these things deliberately select their victims and follow them to the home, or select the home as being more advantageous to them from other homes on the same street. The lighting is different, the house across the street is dark, the curtains are already closed, frilly teenage girl curtains in a bedroom window, etc., etc., the point is you are selected, not randomly, but according to what they have decided are discriminatory factors in their favor. Just choosing what neighborhood to check out raises a resident's 'probability' from near zero to 3-4-10 percent, then which street even higher, which block to 1 in 4 or 5, once these animals start the selection process, the danger rises astronomically.

therealdeal
November 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
sometimes it can be completely random for whatever reason. I agree selections occur, but even a selection can be random. Case in point, many times a peeper, raper, robber, etc will go house to house in a specific area until they find the one with the unlocked door, window unlocked+open with only a screen barrier, and so-on. It has been documented that many times the target house was the 3rd or 4th one 'come into contact with'.

BlueTrain
November 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise? For one thing, you won't even find statistics on "home invasions." You can find statistics on burglaries, robberies, murders and so on but not home invasions. That's newspaper talk, just like assault rifles. Do a little research (not so easy, let me say) about crime statistics. They are hardly the same everywhere. Some places are surprisingly safe, others surprisingly dangerous. Birmingham, AL, is more dangerous than El Paso, overall. On the average, crime is dropping nation wide.

Kevin Rohrer
November 14, 2011, 10:00 AM
What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise?

(written tongue-in-cheek) Because the Internet says so. :cool:

BlueTrain
November 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, make no mistake, things happen. But I'd call it a media expression more than anything. It just gives the wrong image. It makes it seem like a bunch of bad guys knock down the front door and rush in. Only the police do that.

markj
November 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
Them in home invaders pass my opld shack up for the brand new 250,000.00 homes 2 roads over. Them folks have new SUVs and 4 door 4 wheel drive monster trucks cost over 65 grand. Me? I drive an old 3/4 ton 4x4 just put in another motor as the last one went 230000 miles..... got an old 84 1/2 ton an old 70s sski boat, yep keep up on the old stuff you never got to buy it again :) but folks think you are poor since i dont have all them monthly payments.....

A good dog is hard to beat for early warning...

federali
November 14, 2011, 07:00 PM
A good friend of mine was at his hunting cabin doing summer repairs off NY's Taconic Parkway, about two hours north of NYC. A car drove up his 100 yard long driveway. A woman got out leaving two men in the car. She knocked on the door and said she was having car trouble and needed to make a call.

My friend could hear the car running. He offered to call for her but she insisted on making the call herself. Suspicious, my friend did not allow her to enter the house. Instead, he closed the door and worked the action of a lever gun. At that sound, the woman and her companions fled in their "defective" car.

I know: it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. I can't bring myself to carrying in the home but I won't second-guess those who do.

Stressfire
November 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
A good friend of mine was at his hunting cabin doing summer repairs off NY's Taconic Parkway, about two hours north of NYC. A car drove up his 100 yard long driveway. A woman got out leaving two men in the car. She knocked on the door and said she was having car trouble and needed to make a call.

After a conversation with a coworker, found out similar had happened to her husband a few years back during a rash of robberies out in their area of the boonies.

Having already been "caught" by their security lights, the group hightailed back to the vehicle, but did not leave - presumably wanted to see if anyone was actually home (the nerve!). Her husband came out on the front porch (not a "great" idea) with his Mini14, trained it on the driver and told them to leave (Sheriff had already been called).

Driver actually dared him to shoot him and told him that he (husband) couldn't hit him if he tried. This would be when her husband returned that he had been an Army sharpshooter & took out his headlight. She said the ruts were so deep from the driver's burnout it took her all the next morning to smooth out the driveway.

cambeul41
November 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
I know: it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. I can't bring myself to carrying in the home but I won't second-guess those who do.

Splendid! And I will not second-guess those that don't -- but that does not stop me from being curious.

Nnobby45
November 14, 2011, 07:35 PM
What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise? For one thing, you won't even find statistics on "home invasions."

Well, that cuts two ways. With the lack of statistics you've mentioned, how do you know they aren't on the rise.

And so what if they aren't?

They increased noticeably at some point. And who cares about minor increase or decreases where stats are concerned.

I continue to hear about them in my own community on a regular on going basis, and Reno is another one of those cities not not for high crime rate---where bad things happen to good people, anyway.

As I write this, there's a serial robber/rapist on the loose in adjoing Sparks, Nv. who's been following elderly women home apparently to find out where they live, then laying in wait for them, in their homes, at a later date.

Justice06RR
November 14, 2011, 07:53 PM
Carrying on-body is a given, but in the case of the poor couple it may not have changed the outcome given how the criminal killed them. As always, just having a firearm or even a knife is better than nothing, and the closer it is to you the better.

therealdeal
November 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
what I think isn't going to be cuttin the mustard here, but I would guess personally that home invasions are on the rise. I read about them on the news CONSTANTLY.

orionengnr
November 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
i'm moving to a gated community for old geezers (not quite there yet myself-but close). only have to worry if demented, blood thirsty geriatrics take their geritol.then i will have to home carry. Yep, just stick your head deep in that sand pile...everything will be just fine.

Don't even stop to consider the possibility that because you live in a nice nieighborhood, you have nice stuff...that those people who would rather not work for a living would like to take away from you.
Them home invaders pass my old shack up for the brand new 250,000.00 homes 2 roads over. Them folks have new SUVs and 4 door 4 wheel drive monster trucks cost over 65 grand.
Ba...ba...ba...bingo.

What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise? Well, let's start with this. When I was a kid, the term "home invasion" did not exist. FWIW, neither did "I-phone" or "Facebook". Each is in common use today. The world continues to change, and not always for the better.

As a poster on our Texas CHL Forum uses as a sig line..."Carry 24/7 or guess right." I couldn't have put it better myself, and have embraced the concept.

PH/CIB
November 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
I was trained in Viet Nam in combat by a bunch of tough old timers to never ever let my rifle out of arm's reach, whether eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom,,,anything.

That to me is good training for anyone carrying concealed as what good is a firearm if you can't get to it in time, even in the supposed safety of your own home, and I have a dog and an alarm system. I have carried concealed 24/7 ever since Viet Nam, over 40 years ago. By the way I much prefer a rifle or shotgun to a handgun.

The only time a firearm is not within my arms reach is when I am sleeping as I have nightmares and have my firearms just far enough away that I have to be awake to access them.

federali
November 15, 2011, 07:06 AM
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike:)

dabigguns357
November 15, 2011, 08:49 AM
I live in layers 24/7,No i'm not paranoid just safe.

We have outdoor lights,4 night vision security cameras outside and 2 inside.We have 3 dogs that are really alert,and we live at the end of a road, 99% of the time i'll see you well before you get close enough to my house to be much of a threat.Every tv can be turned over to see the cameras with a click of the remote,and in the living room i have a small tv set up just to moniter cameras visually and audio.

I always carry at home for 2 reasons,for protection from home invasion,and i keep my doors open must of the year so i don't have to run a/c,the kids and dogs love it.I'm sitting here right now with my Glock 22,a robe,sweat pants,and a t shirt on.

TexasJustice7
November 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
quote: Federali
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike

Well, we think somewhat alike. I was in Vietnam in the Marine Corp in 1969.
But I did not carry a gun for 40 years, and only after the breaking point came. That was Major Hasaan at Ft. Hood, and thereafter I got my gun permit.

My guns are all (three of them), within arms reach of me while sleeping, and
I don't have nightmares, and have never claimed ptst. But there are no family members returning from a date to my apartment. If someone comes in accounced I can be sure it is a bg. My brother in law enforcement thinks people should have two shotguns. That is not for me. Three handguns is enough. The only time I feel unsafe is on federal property as was the case the other day, when a man approached my vehicle, and said "Give me a Thousand Dollars". Worse yet, he and I were the only two vehicles in the lot, and he was standing between me and my exit path. I said I don't have any money. After he went to his car another guy from a motel nearby got into his vehicle with him. I was trying to figure out if these guys were going to try and rob me, if I would be able to run him down with my vehicle, if he tried or if they attempted to break into my vehicle, which was locked but the window was rolled down about 3 inches. By then I had the windows back up,
the motor running and ready to exit. I had my disabled daughter in the vehiole with me, and if attacked I do not intend to surrender the vehicle. He turned out to be a harmless veteran, but it shocked me, and I did not have homeland security with me. I prefer my guns all within arms reach, but if I had nightmares, I might think differently. Afterwards, I thought isn't it ironic that the laws to protect us, actually may endanger out lives and our safety. Both turned out to be harmless veterans. But for a moment I was regretting that I am a law abiding citisen.:(

FireForged
November 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
Have a firearm easily available? Sure. Carry a firearm on my hip while I am at home is just not for me. If bad-guy gets to me before I can get to the home gun, then so be it. I am not going to be "switched-on" while I am in my home. There is a mental channel that we are tuned into when we carry or involved in any serious task and it is not condusive to peace and relaxation.

kinggabby
November 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
I would carry in home but since I have to go out side to smoke ( I know bad habit no preaching ) and not having my conceal carry yet ( filed and waiting ). I would have to take it off to go outside and on when I came back in . But with a child that is almost 3 I could not just leave it laying around . Once I get my CCW I would carry all the time I can.

Onward Allusion
November 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
kinggabby
I would carry in home but since I have to go out side to smoke ( I know bad habit no preaching ) and not having my conceal carry yet ( filed and waiting ). I would have to take it off to go outside and on when I came back in . But with a child that is almost 3 I could not just leave it laying around . Once I get my CCW I would carry all the time I can.

I thought you could carry on private property in OK...

kinggabby
November 15, 2011, 12:52 PM
I thought you could carry on private property in OK... Sadly I live in an apartment no can do here.

Stressfire
November 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
Sadly I live in an apartment no can do here.

Is it not still considered private property provided that you are on the grounds?

Might need owner's permission...

Onward Allusion
November 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Yup - need owner's permission... Kinda opens up a can of worms...

Stressfire
November 15, 2011, 02:40 PM
Kinda opens up a can of worms...

Could, but you never know, he might like the idea of free armed security...:rolleyes:

TexasJustice7
November 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
Quote: Stressfire
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it not still considered private property provided that you are on the grounds?

Might need owner's permission...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All he needs though is a gun permit, after which he can carry them
without owner's permission, I think, just as it is in Texas. I have to conceal
once I leave my residence since I cross common areas. I wonder if any
apartment managers anywhere, try to restrict the right to own a gun in the
lease. :confused:

kinggabby
November 15, 2011, 04:13 PM
All he needs though is a gun permit, after which he can carry them
without owner's permission, I think, just as it is in Texas. I have to conceal
once I leave my residence since I cross common areas. I wonder if any
apartment managers anywhere, try to restrict the right to own a gun in the
lease. Manager of apartments knows I have guns and has not tried to restrict. But does not want me to carry unless I am covered under law ( CCW )

9mm
November 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
In The Home Carry

Yes, pocket gun, not one in the pipe to prevent AD doing house work.

Don P
November 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
Yes, pocket gun, not one in the pipe to prevent AD doing house work.

Seems with regards to the above quote, the only way to have a AD is no holster and the other would be playing pocket pool while doing house work.:D If you choose to carry with an empty chamber my advise is practice your draw, racking of the slide, and getting on target and I'll add in record time! :eek:

Nnobby45
November 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep.

He stated a specific reason. Not everyone falls into that category.

Doublea A
November 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
While I do not carry inside the house, I have a firearm available next to where ever I'm spending time. The comfortable clothes I wear around the house does not permit me to carry. Unless the intruder can all of a sudden appear in my house within 2 seconds, I will be able to access a firearm before he/they come him.
The most important thing for me is awareness of sound outside the house etc. I have other security apparatus in place to alert me because I hate surprises:D:D

Onward Allusion
November 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
A Kel Tec P32 is 9.4 oz fully loaded. That's the same as a Ruger LCP empty. Unless one sits around in their underwear all the time, drop that in a pocket holster and you're good to go around the house even in a thin pair of running shorts. Anyone visiting your house will never think you're carrying.

Brevard
November 16, 2011, 04:45 AM
I have a M&P.40c. Ntac (like the Raven holsters). Very comfortable. Only thing is I find that I would much rather have it out of the holster in the house. If I am in the living room or bedroom I have my Romanian Draco ak-47 in arms reach. Yeah it is an overkill. But, the sound IMO of the bolt racking back and releasing is pretty dang intimidating by itself.

Don P
November 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
i'm moving to a gated community for old geezers (not quite there yet myself-but close). only have to worry if demented, blood thirsty geriatrics take their geritol.then i will have to home carry.

Here in FLA a few years back there was a murder in a gated community so they can be safer but its not a given.

With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever.

I understand the dream aspect of it and for the folks that did not experience the horrors of war night stand gun is a good idea. We all know what WE are like when being startled from sleep. Let all be there own judge as to what is safe or not

Mikey the Barbarian
November 17, 2011, 01:10 PM
A few years ago, during Hurricane Rita, some hoodlums thought it would be a good idea to enter the only restaurant still open in a Southeast Texas city, brandishing pistols, and rob the place and its patrons. Turns out the place was open because the law enforcement folks had gathered there as sort of an impromptu "HQ" and rally point. The parking lot was full of LEO vehicles, from the city, county and state agencies. Our brave hoodlums apparently failed basic math as far back as kindergarten, and walked in with guns drawn, demanding money. Let's just say things didn't turn out as they'd planned.

The point is, you can't rely on a criminal to be even marginally reasonable or insightful, so why NOT protect yourself? Sure, it may not come up, but given the critical thinking ability of some people, what could it hurt?

youngunz4life
November 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
Our brave hoodlums apparently failed basic math as far back as kindergarten, and walked in with guns drawn, demanding money. Let's just say things didn't turn out as they'd planned.

That would've been a sight to see.:D

The point is, you can't rely on a criminal to be even marginally reasonable or insightful, so why NOT protect yourself? Sure, it may not come up, but given the critical thinking ability of some people, what could it hurt?

I agree. I'm not banking on them leaving after they get what they want, and I don't want to be the one trying to figure out a gameplan because I didn't have my firearm in close proximity.

VinnyT
November 17, 2011, 02:15 PM
I carry at home. :p

If I am upstairs doing something and someone breaks in, it won't do me a lot of good if the pistol is downstairs in a lock box.

;)

pax
November 17, 2011, 08:47 PM
Looks to me as if this one's run its course.

pax