PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best 1860 Army?

maillemaker
November 7, 2011, 11:19 AM
I want to buy myself a Colt 1860 Army for N-SSA shooting.

Here are the approved choices for the N-SSA:

Colt Model 1860 Army (includes fluted cylinder) (.44 cal.) Makers:

1) Centennial Arms Co. (Belgium)
2) Replica Arms Co. (Uberti)
3) Colt Firearms Division (Type 3)
4) Western Arms (Type 3)
5) Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA)
6) Colt Signature Series (Chattahoochee Black Powder Supply Co.)

Who do you guys think is the best quality manufacturer?

Steve

zullo74
November 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Since none of those on the list are manufacturers, and they are all out of business, the list is out dated. The only manufacturer I see on the list is (Uberti) who still makes this model. I went to the n-ssa.org website to double check, and if they allow the F.lli Pietta 1858 Remington, I don't see why they wouldn't allow the Pietta 1860 Colt. :confused:

Hawg
November 7, 2011, 01:46 PM
IMHO
#1 would be the Centennial if you can find one. It's actually more of a reissue than a clone.
#2 Not on the list but a 2nd gen. Colt.
#3 Would be the 3rd gen. Colt. even tho it wasn't made by Colt.
#4 and 5 Would be Pietta and Uberti interchangeably with Pietta being the best bang for the buck.

Southron
November 8, 2011, 08:51 PM
Latch on to a 2nd Generation Colt and then tune it up some. I have one and am very, very happy with it,

Doc Hoy
November 9, 2011, 05:51 AM
...to say that I agree with Hawg precisely on the order.

Especially on the #1 position.

madcratebuilder
November 9, 2011, 09:09 AM
I would put the Centennial (50 years old) near the bottom of the list. Most i have seen needed considerable smithing before they had the needed reliability for competition. After a tune-up, that's different.

Out of the box a Uberti or Pietta. Large wallet? Colt 2nd gen.:cool:

maillemaker
November 9, 2011, 12:24 PM
Pietta is not on the approved list of 1860 Army suppliers. It would appear that their list is in need of updating.

Anyway if you want a new replica it looks like Uberti is your only option.

Steve

Doc Hoy
November 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
...Is it possible that some groups stay away from Pietta because of the external markings on the revolver and where they are located? I don't know where Uberti marks their revolvers and is it possible that the markings are less obvious making the pistols more acceptable?

I read that ASMs are desirable because the markings are located under the loading lever and therefore not visible without close inspection. I know that markings on ASM revolvers are inconspicuous.

Hardy
November 9, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have 2 Pietta 1860 Armys and one 3rd Colt BP Arms. The 3rd seems to have better bluin/ and finishing. What I do like about these is that even though they are not "Colts" they DO say they are and have Sam Colt address NY City on top of barrel and colt stamped on frame--and they do not say "Black Powder Only" And are no longer made.I would think the Uberti 1860 would look and feel like the 3rd but the Piettas do not. The 3rd should be worth more do to what I just mentioned and scarcity. Right now in this economy it is a supply and demand product. Piettas and Ubertis are still in production.
WBH

WBH

Hawg
November 9, 2011, 09:21 PM
...Is it possible that some groups stay away from Pietta because of the external markings on the revolver and where they are located? I don't know where Uberti marks their revolvers and is it possible that the markings are less obvious making the pistols more acceptable?

That's true Doc. I have an 1873 Uberti Colt imported by Cimarron and it has Cimarron's name and address roll stamped on top of the barrel Colt Style. Uberti and the Italian proofs are under the ejector rod housing. You have to take the housing off to see them. I think the C&B's are marked under the loading lever.

Doc Hoy
November 10, 2011, 03:24 AM
....that when a person is thinking about getting involved in re-enactments, they should read the rule book of the group that they are joining before buying any stuff.

Rawg the Huug
November 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
About a year ago I purchased for $20 a nice paper weight that was once an 1860 Army. Rusted to Hell & gone, the fellow dug it up somewhere when his metal detector indicated it was there.

The long portion of loading lever is missing as is the wood grip. I've soaked it varying chemicals to attempt to clean it up. It's useless as anything but a paper weight. It's about as stuck as if it were cast as one piece of steel. I cannot loosen any screws & the trigger will squeeze, but the hammer is fixed as is the cylinder.

It's so badly pitted that I am unable to read who the maker was, although there are markings on the frame & side of the barrel that cause me to believe it is a Pietta. Interestingly, the entire grip frame is brass & I've not seen that anywhere. In fact, if any part of the gun is salvageable, 'twould be the grip frame...but as I said, the screws won't turn & I'm not ready to try drilling them through.

Who made the Army with a brass backstrap? Anybody know?

Bootsie
November 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
Armi san Paolo (AP) aka Euroarms.
Bootsie

Hawg
November 13, 2011, 03:54 PM
Three months in a kerosene bath will free it up. May not ever get the screws out without heat tho.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/oldest/100_0296.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/oldest/100_0299.jpg

Or you can do electrolysis for a faster result if you have access to a battery charger.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/my%20junk/knife3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/my%20junk/IMG_0062.jpg