PDA

View Full Version : Rugwe LCP vs KT P3AT

JerryM
November 6, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am planning to buy my daughter one of the two within the next few days. She has a Ladysmith, and wants a smaller gun.

Of the two does anyone here have any experience to help with the choice? I have a KT and like it, but the Ruger is better finished, and more available here so I am leaning that direction. Any common known problems with the Ruger?
Thanks,
Jerry

mkk41
November 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've had my Kel Tec P3AT for about 7 years now and love it. I see no reason to 'trade up' to a Ruger , which is basically a copy of the KelTec. In fact , everyone I know with one has had problems with it. There were a few recalls. Many feel it's a better gun simply because it's a Ruger. Well , I've had enough turkeys from Ruger to know better.

LockedBreech
November 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
In the interest of diversity of opinion and experience, I'm going to go ahead and respectfully differ in opinion from the previous poster. I know three people with LCPs (if i count myself) and three with P3ATs. None of the LCP owners have had issues, and two of the P3AT owners have. My LCP is 699 perfect rounds out of 700, with the failure being a sticky chamber failure to eject after not being cleaned 4 range trips (it was being torture tested). I trust the heck out of the pistol. I don't deny that it's a Kel-Tec design, but I believe it's that design, refined for fit and finish. Worth the extra few bucks.

In addition, as to Ruger in general, between my family, close friends, and self, we own eight Ruger firearms (LCP, 3 LCRs, SP-101, two 10-22s, and an SR40c). No issues to speak of.

Edit: Nine firearms. Girlfriend's dad owns an SR-556 and loves it.

Walt Sherrill
November 6, 2011, 05:42 PM
I've had both.

The only differences were cosmetic -- with the Ruger being a bit prettier.

(In my hand, the P3AT seemed to jam my trigger finger when firing; the almost-identical Ruger didn't do that. My son, a State Trooper, did not have the same problem with the P3AT -- and bought it planning to use it as a backup (last resort) gun.) Both seemed equally reliable and accurate.

My son has since picked up a PF9, as have I, and we have both traded or sold the .380s. With KTADDONS grip materials, the PF9, LC9, P3AT and LCP are all more pleasant to shoot. It does make a difference.

Cheapshooter
November 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have no experience with the Kel-Tec, but I will say my LCP has been 100% reliable with over 500 rounds fired of various brands of ammo. I looked at both, and to me the Ruger just had an overall better "feel". That's strictly a personal observation though.

JerryM
November 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
Many thanks for the comments. One thing I like about the Ruger is that the slide can be locked back while the P3AT cannot. The Ruger does not lock after the last round in the mag so the advantage might not be great, but I do like the ability to manually lock the slide back.

Regards,
Jerry

LockedBreech
November 6, 2011, 06:48 PM
Regarding the slide not locking back after the last round is fired. The lack of that feature doesn't upset me, but if it's important to you, I believe the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 has that feature.

hblac
November 6, 2011, 08:13 PM
My little Kel-Tec P3AT has been flawless. If you need something that is very easy to conceal its an excellent choice. In pocket works best from a DeSantis Nemasis pocket holster which I highly recommend.

BrittB
November 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
My LCP has been flawless too. Shoot them both first, then make your decision. I think the quaility of the Ruger's fit and finish is a bit better which is why I rolled that way. Everyone I know who has both of these pistol have never had problems with either of them, ever!

boykinhntr
November 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
The Taurus TCP is another great option.

Datguy781
November 6, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have experience with both and would recommend the LCP for fit finish both of mine performed fine. However I wouldn't recommend a micro .380 for a female most have issues with recoil and can easily get discouraged by accuracy.

Walt Sherrill
November 7, 2011, 08:18 AM
However I wouldn't recommend a micro .380 for a female most have issues with recoil and can easily get discouraged by accuracy.

It's not just females who have issues with recoil -- and accuracy.

Far too many guys on these forums "man up" and claim that recoil doesn't bother them, and brag about accuracy, but in the real world I've seen darned few folks shoot the little .380s all that well. I can do it, if I'm not rushed, etc. I'm not sure I can always hope to be "not rushed" when I have to use one of those guns. They are NOT FUN to shoot, and I probably didn't practice enough with mine, as a result.

I retired my .380s and moved up to a small 9mm.

I have a PF9 now, and previously had a Kahr P9 (which I sold when someone made me an offer I simply couldn't refuse.) I'll probably keep the PF9 for a while, but eventually look at a PM9, one of these days. I find the Kahr triggers to be among the best of the small guns.

JerryM
November 7, 2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the help. Today I am going to take her to an indoor range to see if the KT P3AT is too uncomfortable for her.
I find it is not fun to shoot but is tolerable for the number of shots at one time to make sure it is reliable. I have had mine for several years, and shoot it from time to time. It is plenty accurate for 7 yards, and that is enough for me.

Regards,
Jerry

BrittB
November 7, 2011, 11:31 AM
Also check out the Bersa Thunder in .380. It's a little bigger but I didn't think the recoil was near as bad.

Bill DeShivs
November 7, 2011, 12:28 PM
If the P3AT is too much, look at the K/T P32. They are a joy to shoot!

Hardcase
November 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
I've got an LCP and a couple of friends have PCATs. All three work perfectly. I originally got the LCP for my wife, but she absolutely cannot stand the sharp recoil. It doesn't bother me.

If I had to make a choice between the two, it would be on price and if one had some feature that I couldn't live without. When I bought the Ruger, I couldn't find any Kel-Tecs, so that made my decision easy.

She stayed with her Taurus M66. Go figure.

wild cat mccane
November 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
The biggest difference to me is the grip texture.

I feel the P3AT doesn't shift around in the hand because of the texture, while shooting the LCP the smooth handle made the gun move around.

P3AT for me. Chrome slide, grey frame. Looks great.

Dashunde
November 7, 2011, 04:56 PM
My LCP has been great. The LCP has much better fit/finish than any KT I've handled, too.

7jinxed7
November 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
I say neither get the S&W bodyguard or step up to the Beretta Nano. I bought the LCp and i'm not impressed with the quality but it will eat anything so far.

Kreyzhorse
November 7, 2011, 07:05 PM
I looked at the Kel-Tec prior to buying my Ruger. I'll echo what others have said in that the Ruger has a better finish. While I've never shot and KT, I do know that my Ruger is 100% reliable with zero FTF or FTE. I couldn't asked for any thing else out of this gun. Add to that, Ruger stands behind their products and has great customer service if you do happen to get a funky one.

michael t
November 7, 2011, 11:38 PM
I have KelTecs in my house 3 P- 32 for my daughters . 380 now goes to better 1/2 and I have a PF-9. Their all relieable and have been since day one.

Master Blaster 2
November 8, 2011, 05:20 AM
You can get the taurus in colors too..;)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/122350/961447790/wm_md_3113991.jpg

JerryM
November 8, 2011, 09:03 AM
TodaY my daughter and her husband will shoot my P3AT to see if the recoil is OK. If so she will get the Ruger. If the recoil is too uncomfortable then the P 32 is what I will get her. However, the three dealers I have visited do not sell Kel-Tec.
Will post the results.

My son-in law could not find but one set of ear muffs so daughter and I went to Wal-mart. They had some and one pair was pink. SIL is a former Marine, 6-4 and daughter and I chuckled as we thought about telling him we bought him a new pair of muffs. When we did he refused them and said he would tough it out if he had to wear them. Even if we put a Marine emblem on them he would not wear them.:D
But we have another pair. Daughter wanted the pink ones anyway.;)
Jerry

JerryM
November 8, 2011, 08:13 PM
Daughter and SIL fired my KT P3AT amd the recoil was not an issue with her. So she is now the owner of a Ruger LCP to go with her Ladysmith.

While firing my KT using Rem UMC ammo from Walmart about 1 in 4 rounds failed to eject. I had given them one mag with some better quality FMJ rounds and they worked well. I have not had problems with the gun, and am pretty well convinced it is the UMC ammo.
When I get home I will test it with other ammo, and expect it will function OK as in the past. I have read of problems with the WalMart UMC ammo.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Jerry

dgludwig
November 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
While firing my KT using Rem UMC ammo from Walmart about 1 in 4 rounds failed to eject. I had given them one mag with some better quality FMJ rounds and they worked well.
I have read of problems with the WalMart UMC ammo.

I doubt very much that the Walmart Rem UMC ammunition is at fault here. Remington ammunition sold by Walmart is no different than Remington ammunition being sold elsewhere. Furthermore, I would be very uneasy about relying on a pistol being carried for self-defense to be that particular regarding which brand of hardball ammunition it would function properly with.

Mosin44az
November 18, 2011, 11:02 PM
The tiny .380s can be very finicky about what loads they will run. Cartridge length, the ogive of the hollowpoint, other factors. Beware of those that are TOO finicky, they will cost you money as you search for what runs.

Good choice on the LCP. Mine is NOT finicky. Only 4 malfs in 1500 rounds, and none in the last 1000.