PDA

View Full Version : savage 10 fcp-sr vs savage 10 fcp-hs

brian923
November 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, looking at a new 308. Ive narrowed it down to these two rifles. Im looking for a tactical rifle that i can continue my long range shooting with.

Savage 10 fcp-sr: i like the 10 round detachable box mag and the fluted heavy barrel and the threaded barrel. Im not to keen on the stock, but it dosent look horrible. It also comes with a picatinny style 20 moa scope base.

Savage 10 fcp hs: i like the stock much better. Does not come with a threded muzzle or barrel flutes. but... comes with an hs presicion stock. a very nice stock. i think i know witch one im going with, but just wanted to see which one others would pick and why.

How do these two rifles compare to each other? Is one more accurate than the other? Is the accustock really a good stock, or is it just another gimmic?

Rimfire5
November 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
Your question is a good one but it may not have a simple answer.

The Accu-stock is a good stock. It does provide slightly better accuracy than the standard Savage factory stock.

The HS Precision stock is a good stock and I would expect it to provide slightly better accuracy than the factory Savage. I would prefer the HS Precision stock but I am a bit biased since I have two HS Precision stocks and they actually improved the accuracy of the two rifles that now provide about 0.05 to 0.1 inches on average with the same ammo. (Neither are Savages)

I also have a Bell & Carlson stock that can claim the same thing (also not on a Savage).

I have a Savage 10 FP in .308 and found it accurate enough that I didn't choose to spend several hundred dollars trying to get a bit more accuracy.
Since it already shoots just about at 0.5 with lots of ammo loads, I didn't think I would get another 0.05 out of it with a different stock.

As for the accuracy of either the Accustock or HS Precision version of the Savage, it may just depend more on the load selected than on the barrel/stock combination.

First, not all barrels are created equal, although Savage does a pretty good job of getting about the same results with the same barrel type. Case in point, my buddy bought a 10 FP after mine turned out to be so accurate out of the box. His turned out to be equally accurate in his hands. That would indicate that Savage manages to get pretty much the same results out of the same barrel types (Both have the Law Enfocement bull barrels).

Once you change the stock on a rifle, the harmonics of the barrel and stock change and what shot well with one stock may not shoot well with another.

You may find, as I did with the rifle that got the Bell and Carlson stock, that there is little difference except an improvement in accuracy, or you may find that the new barrel stock combination likes a bit more or a bit less velocity to maintain the same or improved accuracy.

Like I said, the question is a good one, but the answer isn't all that clear.
There are just too many variables for one stock to provide a slam dunk improvement.

You'd be better buying the stock you like and enjoy the accuracy that Savage rifles seem to deliver out of the box.

PawPaw
November 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
For me, it would be a simple choice. I won't knowingly buy anything built by HS Precision.

tobnpr
November 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
Tough call. The rifles are nearly identical. Since you're shooting long range, you might want to check to see what the rail is that's included with the SR. You might end up ditching it unless it's a 20 or 30 moa rail...

The HS stock looks like their M24 stock (supposedly, widely used by both military and law enforcement)- if so, it has a street price of about $350 and makes the FCP HS one heck of a value. It's also more along the lines of my "style" stock- a more vertical grip and a huge palmswell for benchrest shooting.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-404/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-M24/Detail

Can't go wrong with either...you'll be a happy camper :)

brian923
November 7, 2011, 08:19 AM
I think im gonna go with the 10 fcp-sr. It comes with more upgrades and i can always replace the stock. Thanks for all the opinions guys, fellow shooter, Brian.