PDA

View Full Version : 150 round range report XD 45

Coyote WT
November 6, 2011, 01:59 AM
I took my new Springfield XD .45 out to the range for the first time yesterday (11/4) and then again today. Between me, my wife and my girl friend we put 150 rounds down range (50 of which were reloads from Washougal River Cartridge Company,,,more on that in another post perhaps) with no misfires or malfunctions.

Attached are a few of the targets I shot.

When I first tried this gun out of the rental case at my local gun club (West Coast Armory in Factoria WA), I was seriously impressed. As I've said elsewhere I don't blame or accredit the pistol for my accuracy but, side by side with the other .45s I was testing out, this one held tighter more consistent groups. I have to assume I was following the same shooting discipline with each of them which must mean the pistol had some affect on accuracy with all else being equal.

I like the curved trigger guard (Glock imitation if I am not mistaken) as a place to wrap the index of the support hand. I find myself missing that feature when I shoot my other pistols. This is my first striker fire pistol and I feel more confident in the first shot drawn from a holster than from my hammer fired Ruger. My wife and girlfriend were less than enamored with it when they each fired a magazine but I don't mind. It is MY gun, after all 8?)

I added an IWB Bladetech holster to the kit and am very happy with how it feels.

I'm not sure if it's the pistol or my increasing confidence level but when I began trying to shave time between shots I was able to acquire and engage the target better than I have in the past. Of course the 9mm became much easier to rapid fire after going through a couple mags of .45.

I can definitely see this becoming my preferred carry pistol.

pics:
45 first: the first five rounds fired out of the pistol shot at 21 ft.
45 at 30 10: the last 10 (out of 150) rounds fired at 30 ft.
45 at 21 20: two back to back 10 round mags at 21 ft.

federali
November 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
Excellent shooting and thanks for the range report. I too want to get an XD 45. I was thinking of the XDM but shooters in this forum seem to feel that the XDs are more comfortable in the hand. I would also be paying for features I don't need. As I'm not a competition shooter, minute-of-torso accuracy is more than sufficient for me.

GUNSNGOLD
November 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
wow, a wife and a girlfriend, you sure your not in utah?

Coyote WT
November 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
@federali. If you have a local gun club that has one in the rental case I'd definitely try it out. I compared it to several models (Glock and S&W to name a couple) and the fit in the hand with the XD was one of the selling points for me.

@GUNSNGOLD. Nope. Not from Utah. When I was an active Mormon I was totally monogamous. Now...well let's just say I'm probably the odd man out in a LOT of demographics among my fellow TFL members.