PDA

View Full Version : Two deer in one afternoon

Jack O'Conner
November 5, 2011, 03:47 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/deerX2.jpg

I hunted on NOV 3 at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland with my buddies who are retired Veterans. My tree stand was approx 20 ft high overlooking an open ambush area within a hardwood forest of oaks, hickorys, hollys, maples, and persimmons. I had good shooting lanes over lower limbs and brush.

At 3PM two young deer approached the open area. When the first one was broadside at approx 20 yards, I aimed just behind the foreleg and launched a bolt from my crossbow. The animal flinched and then wobbled away for less than 15 yards. Then it toppled over. The second deer was nervous but didn't run away into the safety of this vast forest. Instead it walked in a wide circle that brought it nearly straight down from my elevated position. I aimed for the spine and launched my second bolt. The animal collapsed. Blood gushed from its lower chest where the powerful bolt exited the body. This animal also died in less than 10 seconds which is a testimony to modern equipment and good shot placement. First deer turned out to be a button buck but second is a doe. Both are young deer and not mature sized but genuine dinner plate trophies!

We're praising God for this welcome venison!

Jack

JohnO
November 5, 2011, 03:50 PM
Looks like it turned out to be a great day, but now you have your work cut out for you....

MOshooter65202
November 5, 2011, 04:04 PM
Congrats Jack looks like a great afternoon of hunting and some good eating!

Daryl
November 5, 2011, 05:57 PM
Good job! Congrat's.

Daryl

Mobuck
November 6, 2011, 07:31 AM
When the kids were younger, all the stands had names so I could send them to the stand w/o going with them or drawing a map. I had a place where I could sit and still be close to them while giving them some independence. One place was called "The deer per hour stand" since one year that's what it produced. On the first morning of that season starting about 30 minutes after daylight, I killed a deer at close to hourly intervals until I ran out of tags. Shoot, gut, cleanup, return to stand and repeat as needed. I haven't hunted that place for several years but may give it a try again this year for old times' sake. Post season last year, I saw a heavy, wide 12+ pointer near that place.

Discern
November 6, 2011, 07:43 AM
Now you have some venison for your freezer. Do you do your own meet or take it to a processor?

Edit:

What did you use for a broadhead?

JACK308
November 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
In Wis.the DNR wont let you use a crossbow unless your 65 or cripled.

hooligan1
November 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
Aberdeen is truly one of the prettiest forts on this planet. Congrats, nice deer man!!!!:)

shortwave
November 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Congrats and Great shooting.

Geezerbiker
November 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm trying not to hate you...;) Around here 2 deer in 2 years is doing good...

Tony

Brian Pfleuger
November 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Sweet! Nice job! What kind of crossbow?

Jack O'Conner
November 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
My crossbow is from the 1990's and still shoots straight.

Brand: HuntMaster Advantage ; company changed name to Ten Point after a time. Parts are interchangeable. Ten Point upgraded my limbs and trigger device three years ago.

Hoping this crossbow will last another 25 years or so.

If I were seeking a new crossbow, I'd buy Parker Buck Buster: well made in USA with lifetime warranty plus very accurate and FAST! Trouble with Ten Point is they're very spendy these days.

Jack

rantingredneck
November 15, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'd buy Parker Buck Buster: well made in USA with lifetime warranty plus very accurate and FAST!

That's what I've got. Been very happy with it thus far. NC just last year started allowing anyone to use Crossbows. Before you had to have a disability exemption. Honestly my right rotator cuff is about to the point where I'd qualify..........

Brian Pfleuger
November 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Ten Point and Parker are both great.

Parker's Auto-cocking Concorde is freakin' amazing.

I just bought a Horton Vision 175. It's not the fastest thing (chronied 310 at 415gr) but the rear limbs make the balance and weight distribution incredible. I can't wait to use it... but it's only allowed during firearms season for now.

Fortunately, there are some areas I hunt that are archery only even during gun season but do allow crossbows. That's where I'll be. ;)

markj
November 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yummy tasties. Now go get 4 or 20 more :) help yer fellow Americans by killing these car wreckers :)