PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a SA/DA gun

MrDontPlay
October 30, 2011, 08:02 PM
I looking to trade my SR40 in on something that's SA/DA. It's been 100% reliable but I guess it just hasn't ever grown on me. It was my first semi auto and I guess I didnt really buy what I wanted because I didnt know what I wanted. I got a sig mosquito and now I want a full sized SA/DA gun. I'd like a p226 but I'm not going to spend that much on one. I've shot a buddies PX4 and liked it but I'd like some more suggestions. If I cox find an all steel gun that would be cool too. Price range is under $550.

kealil
October 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have two suggestions:
45acp - smith and wesson 4506.
9mm - smith and wesson 5906.

Both of these are stainless steel DA/SA. They are a little hard to come by but you can usually get them for 400 - 550 for the 4506 and 350-450 for the 5906. Both of these are some the most reliable pistols you'll ever find. They are a little heavy but well worth the extra weight. You will also be paying a little extra for accessories but they last forever so it's worth the extra scratch.

Also, wideners has the 5906 for 275 right now. Best price you'll find.

1SOW
October 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
CZ offers several all steel models from full to mid-size in that price range.
Accessories are available and moderately priced. They also have the Phantom polymer that is well-thought of by the owners.

Used pistols are always an option to stay in your price range. Luck and patience can play significant rolls searching for a used pistol.

NVBigEd
October 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
I would suggest Sig Sauer. They make very good SA/DA pistols in a variety of sizes and calibers. I'm partial to the older German versions, although the current US production guns are fine as well.

I have a Sig P226 in 9mm with a "SRT", that is, a short reset trigger, that is just a joy to shoot. Holds up to 20 rounds (18 is standard) and is available in .40 cal and .357 Sig as well. If you buy the .40 cal, buy swapping barrels and mags, you can shoot all three...

loose_holster_dan
October 30, 2011, 08:40 PM
i have a p226 for sale for $500. great shape. 9mm. night sights. pm me if you are interested. i literally just took it off gunbroker.

RamItOne
October 30, 2011, 08:41 PM
Don't tease him with a sig 226 or even hk p30, they retail much higher than his price.

I like kealil's choices for what you are looking for. Now back to the 226 I have seen them on sale for mid/high 700s, still higher than your price range tho.

Hammerhead
October 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
I just bought a new CZ 75b for $500. Very Sig-like without the Sig price. All steel, very nice quality.

Micahweeks
October 30, 2011, 08:59 PM
The FNX9/40 sounds like a perfect fit for you.

sigarms228
October 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
If you want .40 there are SIG P229s CPO - Certified Pre Owned available that come with SIG factory 1 year warranty and they are within your price range. The link below is for seller Yatin Patel and I purchased mine from him - very smooth transaction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258616687

For 9MM take a hard look at the SIG SP2022 which new are well within your price range. I have one and it is a really great shooter - very comparable to my P226. The SP2022 is widely available.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=69931

As always it is best to try out whatever you are considering first before making the investment.

Good luck!

DELL6380
October 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
The Sig SP2022 is DA/SA and only around $400 or so. Ive should a couple and they are great guns. Not sure I like it as much as my 226 but a great gun non the less.

If you can find a way to swing the 226 I would do it.

sigarms228
October 30, 2011, 09:36 PM
Summit Gun Broker has some really nice used German P226 police trade ins right now that are within your budget. See the link below if interested.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/226_9mm.html

AustinTX
October 30, 2011, 09:39 PM
You can't go wrong with a Beretta 92 variant of some sort. Outstanding guns and terrific values.

Ray Tanner on GB kills everyone's prices on Berettas (including Bud's). I believe he was selling the 92FS brand new for $489 plus $25 shipping last time I looked. Add in $20-30 for your average FFL transfer fee, and you're still under $550.

MrDontPlay
October 30, 2011, 09:47 PM
Can you convert an sp2022 like you can a p226?

Hammerhead
October 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
Convert to .22lr?

Fishbed77
October 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
Don't tease him with a sig 226 or even hk p30, they retail much higher than his price.

You should be looking at a Walther P99AS. Easily equal to the Sig 226 or HK P30 in quality, and if you look hard enough, you can find a new one for close to $550.

kinoons
October 30, 2011, 10:31 PM
+1 for the walther p99 AS. A very interesting trigger setup. They make very good pistols. I think walther is one of the best, but most undervalued/hyped brands out there.

RC20
October 30, 2011, 11:10 PM
The Sig SP2022 is DA/SA and only around $400 or so. Ive should a couple and they are great guns. Not sure I like it as much as my 226 but a great gun non the less.

SP2022 is the perfect gun with night sights to be had at around $425.

I have shot it against an HK P30, it matches up equally with that gun at twice the price. Trigger is actually better (my opinion), accuracy is as good or better. Reliability is 100%

Grips are terrific, though the HKs are perfect, the Sigs are very good.

Matches up with the steel guns despite being polymer frame (as solid a polymer gun as there is out there).

excelerater
October 31, 2011, 06:28 AM
SIG and never look back

Mrgunsngear
October 31, 2011, 07:21 AM
FNX or FNP are the way to go. All 4 of mine have been 100% reliable and are tac drivers. My FNX9 has a DA pull of 9.5lbs and SA pull of 4-4.5lbs. Some people say it's a poor man's Sig; I say it's a smart man's Sig :D (I have Sigs too...)

jtb1967
October 31, 2011, 07:23 AM
The Sig SP2022 is hard to beat in that price range.

loose_holster_dan
October 31, 2011, 07:25 AM
the CZ 75B IS A PHENOMENAL CHOICE

P97
October 31, 2011, 07:27 AM
I have a Ruger P90DC that I've had 5 years, and been happy with it. They aren't made any more, but can be found within your price range.

chris in va
October 31, 2011, 07:28 AM
I've tried a lot of handguns, my CZ is still my favorite.

Walklightly
October 31, 2011, 09:49 AM
I looking to trade my SR40 in on something that's SA/DA. It's been 100% reliable but I guess it just hasn't ever grown on me.

What's wrong with it? If it aint broke............

MrDontPlay
October 31, 2011, 09:58 AM
The grip seems too long and thin for me, it's not SA/DA, and I think the trigger could be better.

TDodge7
October 31, 2011, 10:07 AM
+1 on the Walther P99 AS , great gun.

MrDontPlay
November 2, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. It's also nice that no one suggested a 1911 or glock lol. I think I'll either the the sig 2022 or a beretta 92. I like the 2022 price and feel and I like the fact that the beretta is steel. Do they make a stainless version?

rudyod
November 2, 2011, 02:43 PM
Another vote for the CZ 75B. Loved it the moment I held it in my hand.

balance
November 2, 2011, 02:44 PM
The Beretta is an aluminum framed pistol. It is metal, but it's not steel. The only steel framed Beretta 92 series models I know of, are the Steel 1, the Billenium, and possibly the Combat, and those are way out of your price range.

The Beretta model with the stainless slide is called "Inox". The frame is still aluminum, but it is a silver color.

I would have also recommended a P99, but the Sig 2022 and Beretta 92 both have excellent reputations.

Beentown71
November 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
CZ 75B or Beretta 92fs for the price.

Sig for a little more money. Also the third gen Smiths are a good choice/value. Check CDNN.

Skadoosh
November 2, 2011, 03:22 PM
There are plenty of CPO (certified pre-owned) Sigs out there at very manageable prices. I got my CPO P226 in 9mm, which looked factory new, for $450 OTD.

Marquezj16
November 2, 2011, 03:46 PM
SP2022
Beretta 92 FS

aarondhgraham
November 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
I think I'll either the the sig 2022 or a beretta 92.

These are certainly extremely fine pistols,,,
Proven to have both quality and performance.

But before you buy one of those,,,
Do yourself a favor and hold a CZ-75B (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b/).

http://aarondgraham.com/lwat/handguns/27-tmavazena.JPG

I am not saying the CZ-75B is a better gun than the others,,,
But it is certainly right beside them in quality and performance.

And it's price is very friendly,,,
They run right at $500 brand spanking new.

And yes, The Czech lady comes in a stainless steel version. ;)

Aarond

Walklightly
November 3, 2011, 02:05 AM
But before you buy one of those,,,
Do yourself a favor and hold a CZ-75B.

I have one with a Hogue mono grip and it's really nice feel.

loose_holster_dan
November 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
even better than the hogue mono - just the simple rubber grips from the factory. it puts your fingers naturally in all the right places. you would be surprised how much a misplaced thumb can throw off accuracy.

insaneranger
November 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
Do they make a stainless version?

Yes. One word..."Inox". A stainless (Inox) Beretta would be a fine choice. Are you looking for a 9mm or .40? Either way, it's hard to beat the quality of a Beretta!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/jbeasley7_2008/Weapons/Beretta-Inox.jpg

Mark In Texas
November 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
CZ! I have a CZ-85B Combat which is basically the same as a CZ 75B with some additional features. The CZ 85 Combat features a fully adjustable rear sight, extended magazine release, ambidextrous slide stop and safety catch, drop free magazine and over travel adjustment on the trigger. Mine is two-tone, stainless and blued.

Like every CZ I have ever shot (except for the CZ-100), it's a joy to shoot. Accurate and reliable.

Before making your final decision, you really should try out a CZ - a 75 or 85.

RC20
November 3, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. It's also nice that no one suggested a 1911 or glock lol. I think I'll either the the sig 2022 or a beretta 92. I like the 2022 price and feel and I like the fact that the beretta is steel. Do they make a stainless version?

I am going to expound a bit, and first and foremost is that I think anyone buying a gun needs to find one that suits them. And while I am not fond of striker fired, that would include Glock, XD etc if that's what works for them.

Second is that at one time I too hated so called plastic, that always translated into cheap and hence unreliable.

Many years back I was after my first cordless drill, and I was looking at (then Black and Decker now Dewalt). I was whining about the plastic shell as all my previous drills had metal bodies. The guy took a 28 oz framing hammer (the ones with the nasty waffle points on the surface of the head for driving 16 penny sinkers) and started beating on a half shell body. It just kept bouncing back.

Taken aback, I went into technical mode and asked him how long he could do that. 3 weeks during my spare time at trade shows or when customers like you come by and comment on how they hate plastic.

The light came on. There are cheap plastics and then there are purpose designed composites (polymer etc) that if engineered right stand up to the intended use (including work abuse) and do not fail. Boeing is building an entire aircraft out of the (787 that replaces the 767 300 passenger wide body)

I bought the drill then and there and am into my 5 or 6th generation of them.

I have dropped those same drills off the upper steps of 8 ft ladder for a fall of 12 feet or better onto concrete and they worked just fine.

I think Glock gave polymer a bad name with the associating of a poor trigger. That is not the polymer its the striker fired system and Glock not being a gun guy. Read the following link.

http://tacticalgunreview.com/?p=738

I think you will be surprised at how solid the Sig SP2022 is, and how good the trigger is. The gun does not feel cheap and it does not run cheap. While the Glock feels cheap (to me) the Sig feels exacly like my Star PD with its alumumin famre (great gun but the Sig holds twice the ammunition in 9mm).

However, unlike the aluminum frame, the Sig frame is strong enough to last into the 100s of Ks of use (give Glock credit, they track their rental guns and they have some that are into the 200-400K round counts. Its the best of both worlds at no compromise for durability).

I am not say the Sig SP2022 is the gun for everyone. Its not for everyone for whatever reasons, including it just may not feel right.

But the Polymer frame should not be a reason unless its a balance and feel issue that does not work for you shooting. Its going to hold up to anything you throw at it, and still have the same solid feel of the all metal Sigs (I have shot an old P220, and I am amazed but the trigger feels as good as that gun and its one of the so called German wonders).

And while not my sole basis by anymeans, I like its made in the USA.

MrDontPlay
November 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have nothing against a polymer framed gun, I just want something flashy maybe.

Niantician
November 3, 2011, 08:24 PM
PX4 Storm would be my suggestion. More modern than a 92, but still a Beretta. And just look at one... theyre quite flashy.

RC20
November 3, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have nothing against a polymer framed gun, I just want something flashy maybe.

Good enough reason to not want a polymer gun. Lower part is never going to be flashy (unless they put neon colour in the pigment and then......)

drcook
November 3, 2011, 09:25 PM
you can get a satin nickle cz 75B for $498.00 from http://czcustom.com/

they also have regular cz 75B's for $462.00

I find the grip size on a CZ to be more comfortable than a Sig and I don't have particularly small hands. They are not baseball glove sized, but are bigger than most folks. The Sig grips (the Sigs I was looking at were the Stainless Elite in 45 or 9mm).

I ended up with a matte stainless CZ for 500 less than a Sig. Stainless Elite

roaddog28
November 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
I have two suggestions:
45acp - smith and wesson 4506.
9mm - smith and wesson 5906.

Both of these are stainless steel DA/SA. They are a little hard to come by but you can usually get them for 400 - 550 for the 4506 and 350-450 for the 5906. Both of these are some the most reliable pistols you'll ever find. They are a little heavy but well worth the extra weight. You will also be paying a little extra for accessories but they last forever so it's worth the extra scratch.

Also, wideners has the 5906 for 275 right now. Best price you'll find.

S&W makes a alloy version of the 5906 called the 5903. I have one and like it.
Good luck,
Howard
S&W 5903
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/HPitt74985/SW5903.jpg

HBoswell
November 5, 2011, 12:37 PM
You might also check into a Bersa 9 or 40 if you can find one. I had to buy mine used three years ago because the demand had out run supply. It is my favorite 9mm, I have four different brands, and cost less than any of them. All metal, I have the nickle plated version, SDA, decocker-safety, full ambidextrous and it comes compact or full size, though I have never seen a full size version. It has a very good grip size, I have large hands, and has never failed to fire or cycle. A lot of bang for your buck, IMHO.

MrDontPlay
November 5, 2011, 05:10 PM
I can remember feeding chickens when I was a kid. My younger brother was helping me and drinking s bottle of pop. He dropped the bottle and it hit the corner of the water troff and shattered all over the barn yard. The feeding chickens immediately started eating the sparkling glass because of the bling.

The American capitalism system produces products with visual appeal. The more it sparkles the greater the desire will be for it. As long as it looks good fools will buy it. My dad also taught me that fools and their money are soon parted. Looks in a CCW designed for personal protection does not mean a thing unless you get off on flashing the bling to show off and impress other fools. The 5906 was such an experiment and yes I had to have one too, Shiny heavy and now just relegated to range use while I carry my Glock 27 and Kahr CM9 to guard my life on a daily basis.

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in owning something that looks nice. Just because I like guns that look good doesn't mean I go waving them around in public, and owning a shiny gun hardly equates to eating pieces of glass. Just like anyone, I like things that reflex my personality, if for some people that's a flat black brick, then that's fine too. There are to many guns that look good and function good to buy an ugly one, and I work to hard to buy guns I don't like.

Now do you have any suggestions for a good DA/SA gun, or do you just "get off" on bashing my preference for stainless?

hlds54
November 5, 2011, 06:16 PM
you can get quality used sigs for good prices. you might want to look at a p220, they might be cheaper than the p226.

MrDontPlay
November 5, 2011, 06:32 PM
I handled a beretta 92 the other day and like the way it felt but I wasn't to big on the exposed barrel. Do they have a beretta 92 without the exposed barrel?

RC20
November 5, 2011, 11:22 PM
Yes, they are called Taurus something or the other. 907 or some such was a changed Barreta. Nice gun, no longer made but can get NIB on some places.

Walklightly
November 6, 2011, 04:16 AM
even better than the hogue mono - just the simple rubber grips from the factory. it puts your fingers naturally in all the right places. you would be surprised how much a misplaced thumb can throw off accuracy.

loose_holster_dan

My CZ75B came with a hard rubber, or, plastic. Hated them.

Pilot
November 6, 2011, 06:28 AM
My CZ75B came with a hard rubber, or, plastic. Hated them.

Mine also came with the hard, black plastic grips. I replaced them cheaply, and easily with CZ factory, rubber grips. Really like them.

The light came on. There are cheap plastics and then there are purpose designed composites (polymer etc) that if engineered right stand up to the intended use (including work abuse) and do not fail. Boeing is building an entire aircraft out of the (787 that replaces the 767 300 passenger wide body)

Just because an airplane uses a large amount of composite/carbon fiber for its construction doesn't make it necessarily a good material for other applications. Plus, many structural parts of the aircraft, and the WINGS leading edges are ALUMINUM.

Dreamliner materials by weight are: 50% composite, 20% Aluminum, 15% Titanium and 5% steel. The Boeing 787 is 80% composite by volume and contains ~35 tons of carbon composite, made with 23 tons of carbon fiber and reinforced with plastic. Composites are used in fuselage, wings, tail, doors and interior. Aluminum is used for the wing and tail leading edges.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sciencetech/boeing-dreamliner-composites-trial-part-ii/13303

Not saying polymer isn't a good material for gun construction, but we need to be careful comparing applications.