PDA

View Full Version : USGI mag refinishing

abeckSWMP
October 30, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hello everybody. This is the first time I have posted on here. Actually just signed up for an account yesterday. The reason I am posting, is that I have a boat load of old USGI mags that I would like to refinish. I have PMAGs that I use for compititions, but I have these lying around.

I plan on replacing the springs and followers. Those first two things are quite self explanatory. However, I have never refinished anything. What is a good way to go about that. What supplies, methods and how long will it take etc...

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

g.willikers
October 30, 2011, 05:24 PM
Here's the method I use:
Get the mags really clean and rust free.
Steel wool is good, followed by an alcohol rub.
But only use pure alcohol, not rubbing alcohol. which has oils in it.
Acetone and mineral spirits works, too, if you can stand them.
Get the mags dry and,
Then just use a bluing agent, like the Birchwood-Casey paste.
Hope this helps.

abeckSWMP
October 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
Off the top of your head, do you know how many mags a tube of the B&C paste will do?

g.willikers
October 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
A little dab will do ya'.
I'm still using the same tube of it that I bought fifteen years ago.

Jim Watson
October 31, 2011, 08:21 AM
M16 magazines, not 1911? I ask because I don't know of a pistol PMAG.
Most of those are aluminum and don't take conventional bluing.

Anodizing is expensive or a more complicated DIY, the usual refinish on these is one or another spray n bake. Or just spray, like Duracoat.

g.willikers
October 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
Here's something for aluminum that looks easy to use:

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=0790cc91-b2e8-488d-a6fa-8820790beefb

abeckSWMP
October 31, 2011, 07:16 PM
Yes M16 mags, not 1911.

quepasakimosabe
November 1, 2011, 06:41 AM
The military uses Solid Film Lubricant, SFL. i reccomend it highly but ti can be expensive//difficult to find sometimes.

mkk41
November 1, 2011, 08:08 AM
The mags would need to be totally stripped down to bare aluminum. Then they go thru an acid bath , then they get iridited (that gold color underneath, stops corrosion) then the top SFL mentioned.