PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to deodorize your boots?

Sea Buck
October 24, 2011, 02:41 PM
After a day in the woods my boots have a heavy odor.What is your favorite product or natural material to help illiminate the stink?

okiewita40
October 24, 2011, 02:45 PM
Just get some cheap brand of baby powder. Plus it helps dry out the insoles inside the boots.

longranger
October 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hunting boots get deer pee,seems every deer I kill has a full bladder I let some of it drain onto my hunting boots.:D

Scorch
October 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Deer pee deodorizes boots? :confused:

I use baking soda. Cheap, easy, non-alarming. A little bit, not a lot.

FrankenMauser
October 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
...Fresh air.

Letting them dry out is key.

A mid-day sock change really helps, as well.

cornbush
October 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
My boots could be used for a biological weapon, I really like the Dr. Scholls activated carbon odor eaters, nothing else seems to work as well as they do.

mete
October 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Don't pee in your boots !! :rolleyes:

Baking soda is a long used material to deoderize things .I wonder how much of boot problems are caused by the chemicals used in tanning etc.

shortwave
October 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
Baking Soda.

Spammy_H
October 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
Anybody use Deer Pee as a cologne?

I don't :D

i50sx
October 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
febreeze smells wicked good.

rickyrick
October 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cow pies as a cover.

Rotating boots, or find some that don't make you sweat, water proof boots are the worst.

Other than that baking soda as the others have said

Wild Bill Bucks
October 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
I use a product called "Scent-a-way"

Couple of shots in the boots and a couple on my socks, with a few minutes to dry, and your good to go. I always spray all my camo and boots, and anything else that goes to the woods with me, at the end of season before storage. That keeps the odor out while just sitting in my hunting room.

tahunua001
October 25, 2011, 12:12 PM
I use baking soda to get rid of the existing odor and gold bond to keep my feet dry. wearing extra thick wool socks to absorb the most sweat are also a good thing to use in conjunction. without something to keep the boots dry however the wool sock will just make matters worse

jhnrckr
October 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
if your boots stink of old sweat and foot odor I would toss them and buy new ones. You would be better off with some cheapos from walmart.

I buy new boots way in advance of hunting season because new boots stink like rubber and leather. I stick them outside somewhere dry for a couple weeks to air out

the shoe deoderizer sprays and powders all have some kind of fragrance to them

the dr. scholls activated charcoal liners work well but for how long I dont know. I do know that the Dr Scholls tamed an old pair I had years ago but that is with my nose and not a deer's nose. I think they run about $10 or so and economically you might be better off allocating that to a new pair of boots.

Keep you boots dry to avoid stink. I hunt south texas so I am not worried about getting my feet wet, I cut a small vent hole in my boots to prevent moisture buildup.

one more shot
October 25, 2011, 03:09 PM
Try corn starch, adds a little flavor to the boots if you get lost and really hungry. Also helps with the odor thing.

Saltydog235
October 25, 2011, 03:36 PM
I have a pair of LaCrosse Snake Boots I wear early season, they get real funky since I hate socks in the heat. I washed mine inside out with the Scent Away detergent, replaced the insoles and let them sit outside for a while. Now they can be worn without knocking you out or every deer in the county knowing you are there. Of course now I'm wearing other boots most of the time and don't need them any longer.

rickyrick
October 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
I do use the Scent away products

donaldbracy
November 19, 2011, 05:39 AM
Balled up old newspaper works way better than baking soda......works on old fridge smells as well.....

Ball up the newspaper...but leave it kinda loose....swap it out once every 2-3 days until smell is gone...should take less than a week at most. :)

Old Grump
November 19, 2011, 01:12 PM
Dr. Scholl medicated body powder, works for my feet and boots as well as it does for my body and I only have one container to keep track of.

highvel
November 19, 2011, 08:21 PM
The old news paper works!!
Scent Away works too!

sc928porsche
November 20, 2011, 02:21 AM
Walk through cow patties.

Art Eatman
November 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
Probably oughta do some foot- and sock-washing more often than monthly. :)

Damp is the enemy. Dry is the friend.