PDA

View Full Version : Saga 12 gauge reliability?

boxjeff
October 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
Would a Saga shotgun have the same legendary reliability of an AK47...not in theory but in real world use?

Dave McC
October 21, 2011, 08:09 PM
Dunno. The one I had for a year long extended T&E ate everything, ran dirty and cold, and generally satisfied me as to its reliability.

Maybe 400 rounds. Slugs, Buck, light loads, short mags, standard, no glitches.

Willie Lowman
October 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
I just spent three Sunday afternoons helping my buddy fine tune his to get it to work with low brass 2 3/4 shells fed from a 20 round drum.

There were a few parts changed and the follower in the factory 5 round mag had to be sanded to get the last shell to eject properly.

It always worked with 3 inch magnums and worked most of the time with high brass 2 3/4. Just had one heck of a time getting it to work with bulk pack birdshot.

jmortimer
October 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
"...same legendary reliability of an AK47..."
No - but spend some time and $$$ and you can get them to work real good.

boxjeff
October 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
What would I have to do to it?

Mrgunsngear
October 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Out of the box---no. If you do a search over at the Saiga forum, they have lots of sticky threads on how to do the reliability upgrades; mostly extractors, springs, and bolt issues that need to be resolved.

jmortimer
October 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
^ Yes - among other issues mentioned, it sure would be nice to convert to last round bolt hold open. Otherwise, why screw around with a magazine in a semi-auto shotgun.