PDA

View Full Version : czech vz 52

tubbyfirefighter
October 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hello all,
I have the chance to aquire a vz 52. My question is, has anyone had any experience with one of these rifles? I think its chambered for 7.62x45 of which i am not familiar. What do I need to look for on this gun, pros/cons. thanks in advance.

Magnum Wheel Man
October 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have one... yup... 7.62 X 45... harder to get ammo for...

there used to be chamber inserts that would allow you to shoot 7.62 X 39 ammo...

if the one you're looking at is complete, that's good, as parts are getting harder to come by, & magazine tough as well

you can convert some other cartridges to 7.62 X 45... my father in law had some stuff made up to convert 220 swift, after rims were turned down case length adjusted, they can be formed, & would shoot the same .311 bullets as the "X 39" version

BTW... if anyone knows where to get the chamber inserts I've been thinking about getting one myself, just to make the gun more shootable

graysmoke
October 17, 2011, 09:59 AM
Are you shure that is not a 7.62x54 caliber?....If it is, you can find that ammo at jgsales.com or on gunbroker.com

Never known of a 7.62x45 caliber.

Magnum Wheel Man
October 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
they came stock in 7.62 X 45

tubbyfirefighter
October 17, 2011, 11:36 AM
From what I've gathered, the 7.62x45 was only used for a short period of time and later models were chambered for 7.62x39. Something to do with the geneva convention, i think. So, being is there is only two on GB, what would be a good price for one that is complete and the barrel dosent look like a sewage pipe?

Cheapshooter
October 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
Are you shure that is not a 7.62x54 caliber?....If it is, you can find that ammo at jgsales.com or on gunbroker.com

Never known of a 7.62x45 caliber.

Yep, that's no typo, it's 7.62X45 and near impossible to find because the rifles for it are also somewhat rare also. Cool looking old milsurp semi-autos, but hard to find ammo.

AirborneMosinFan
November 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
You buy the dies and pay 100 to him, he makes 100 bullets and sends you back your dies

Cheapshooter
November 8, 2011, 12:22 PM
he makes 100 bullets
He only makes the bullets? http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/Ikhebffruimtenodig/Devil.gif (The devil made me do it!!!)
Really, for the hundred bucks you could get set up to reload for yourself!

m.p.driver
November 8, 2011, 12:34 PM
Owned one back in 91-92,i think i paid $79 when they all came in on the glut of e-block weapons.Never saw any ammo other than the corrosive Czech that came in at the same time. Trigger pull was so so but the rifle shot alright.Very small amount came in chambered for 39mm,and at one time i remember someone selling barrels that were cut down and re-threaded,but that was 20 years ago.

32 Magnum
November 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
The Czech's, being independent minded but ruled by the Soviet overlords, decided to design, produce and issue their own infantry rifle - hence the VZ-52 in 7.62x45mm. The Soviets, through their client admin. the WARSAW PACT forced the Czechs to toe the line and use the same ammo interchangeable with all the other members of the commie club - the 7.62x39. This change had nothing to do with the Geneva Convention - it was all about centralized control and tyranny.

chack
November 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
7.62x45 is a cartridge that the Czecks only used from 1952-1957 It was the round the VZ58 was originally chambered for when it was being developed. The Czechs abandoned the cartridge under pressure from the Soviets and redesigned the VZ 52 for 7.62x39 and renamed it the VZ 52/57.

Geneva conventions had nothing to do with the decision, it was part of a standardization program for the Warsaw Pact.

7.62x45 can be made from .220 swift, 7.5 carcano, 7.35 carcano, and 6.5 schoenaur mannlicher. The chamber insert conversions work OK as long as you don't let the gun get too hot, and with the ammo scarcity issue that's probably not likely. The long freebore before the bullet contacts the leade doesn't help accuracy either.

The typical issues with them are:

1) horribly pitted bores
2) cracked stocks
3) missing/ broken handguards
4) damaged butplates
5) wobbily/loose bayonets

#1 there isn't much you can do about it. I have several VZ 52s that I'd like to find a replacement barrel in 7.62x39, but I haven't had any luck. I imagine that there is enough interest to set up a group buy for a run or 10 or 20 barrels in 7.62x39 made from blanks if they could be had for $150 or so.

#2 alot of folks have modified M14 stocks to make a replacement stock. I made one from an SKS stock years ago that worked pretty well. Again, there is enough demand that if someone were to make a run of 10 stocks at $150 he'd likely sell them in a month or so after the word got out.

#3 I intend to replace the wood on one of my project rifle handguards eventually, but the metal would be harder to do. I made a replacement handguard from a 12ga heatshield that worked well and looked pretty good, but it was am obvious replacement

#4 used buttplates are available, but expensive. They are cupped instead of flat so are not easily fabricated. Century made a run of black plastic buttplates for the guns they coated with truck bed liner and they look lousy, but are effective.

#5 I'm still trying to fabricated the replacement pins to tighten up a couple of my bayonets

AirborneMosinFan
November 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
You seem to know the gun so here is my question, how do I get my barrel off. I know there is that button you push but mine won't go in when the bayonet is closed and when it is open the button goes in but the little sleeve bumps into the back of the bayonet

chack
November 28, 2011, 11:29 PM
The barrel is held into the reciever with a cross pin that is pressed in place, usually with a hydraulic press. You shouldn't need to remove it ever.

If you'r trying to remove the barrelled action from the stock, use a punch (or a loaded cartridge) to push the take town button in the bayonet assembly while the bayonet is still fully closed. Then slide the sleeve forward out of the bayonet assembly.

I'll dig one out of my safe sometime in the next few days and double check, I haven't messed with them in quite awhile, but that's how I remember it.