PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand questions (about where to sell & how much this one is worth)

george98034
October 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post.

So my best friends grandpa (who is a WWII vet) has an M1 Garand SN:19020XX. He has a lot of medical issues and to be blunt he does not have a lot of time left. He is VERY with it still and wants to sell his M1 Garand while he is still mentally with it. He wants to remember selling it, he has found memories of this rifle after all.

My friend asked me to find out how they would go about selling it so that is what I am asking here today.

Here is some info about the rifle...

He bought it from the Civilian Marksmanship Program in 2009
It is in perfect shape

The SN is: 19020XX and was made sometime between October 1940- November 1940 (I think, that is all I could find out online)

It comes with the rifle, 5 mags, ammo belt, bayonet and paper work (users manuel and certificate of authenticity)

Thank you everyone for help! We need it!

kraigwy
October 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
Problem is the CMP is still selling Garands, some as low as $495. They also are selling Bayonets, Cart. Belts and just about everything else one needs for the Garand.

His best bet is to sell the gun locally, or maybe putting in on one of the Online Auction sites.

george98034
October 16, 2011, 07:03 PM
They live in Monroe Washington (close to the Seattle area) how would they go about selling a gun locally? Sorry to sound to green but they are VERY new to this.

Eghad
October 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
If he bought it in 2009 it should have been graded and sold at that price for that grade. Unless he personally handpicked at the store it and got lucky I suspect he might get what he paid for it or a little less.

Excellent means that it has 95% of the finish on the wood and metal which means like a practically new gun.

Plus we don't have any pictures to look at. plus we don't know what it gauged.

george98034
October 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256465050

george98034
October 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone! I will get the grade of this rifle and post it here for everyone.

James K
October 16, 2011, 07:29 PM
M1 rifles in good shape in this area are running $600-800, retail. Unless there is some state or local law that would prevent it, the best bet might be to just put an ad in the paper. If your local paper considers gun owners insane terrorists and refuses gun ads, try those "shoppers guides."

If time is of the essence, you can always sell it to a gun shop, but of course the amount you get will reflect the dealer buying rate, not the retail rate. I would call around and see what interest you get.

I would suggest a consignment sale at a gun shop, or sale at a local gun show, but with that type of sale there is no time line; a consignment item might not sell for some time, and there is no guarantee a gun will sell at a gun show.

Jim

Ignition Override
October 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
Very recently the CMP was mostly out of Service Grades, seen by guys who were there.

The CMP must be far behind in evaluating and ranking the Garands.

This might be a good time to sell one in similar or better condition.
One problem at gun shows is that you can never tell whether some iinternal parts were changed or have corrosion etc.

Guys at our shows seem to only be interested in selling CMP and other types for an extra $200+.

michaelcj
October 28, 2011, 08:35 PM
Check with Craig at Sky Valley Sports on SR2 just east of SR522 overpass. I,ve known him since he was a kid and his dad owned the store [dad was the senior sergeant in our department and we both ended up on the city council after we pulled the plug 20 years ago now] Okay back to the point.

Being a gun shop he won't buy it for any more than any other would [resale/profit margin] but he's honest and may know someone who is looking or collecting and could point you in the right direction.

Mike J

4V50 Gary
October 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
It has one bidder and looks like he'll get a pretty penny for it.

michaelcj
October 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
Gary, I guess I missed that he had it listed on GB.... Looks like he did fine. I just happened to have the Monroe WA connection/suggestion and focused in on that. Myopia can be a bitch. MJ