PDA

View Full Version : Scopes and Sun Shades

Sphawley
October 13, 2011, 01:02 AM
Can some explain to me exactly what a sun shade does for a scope? I know this probably sounds stupid but im new to optics. Thanks!

mrawesome22
October 13, 2011, 01:13 AM
They reduce the amount of light that gets to your eye.

Very helpful if you are aiming in the direction of the sun.

Scorch
October 13, 2011, 01:18 AM
They also reduce glare from light entering the objective lense at an angle, as well as heat mirage from your barrel.

Sphawley
October 13, 2011, 01:31 AM
Can you give a couple real life scenarios you would want to use a sun shade?

Art Eatman
October 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
Late afternoon, shooting toward the west.

Scorch
October 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
Any precision shooting where you are out in full sun, like shooting in a prairie dog colony.
OR
Shooting on a firing line at long distance as in F-Class shooting.
OR
Tactical shooting, long range in the open.

A sunshade is one of those "nice to have" things, it is not indispensable. But just because many people do not use a sunshade does not mean it is pointless. Some do not like the extra weight, some do not like the extra cost, and some don't even know they exist.

Double Naught Spy
October 13, 2011, 11:35 AM

Any time that light falls on your front objective such that it causes lens flare. Art mentioned shooting west in the late afternoon. That would be a definite time when that could be a problem, but it can happen during about any time of the day if your scope gets oriented correctly with the sun.

Explanation...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare
Nice example...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CCTV_Lens_flare.jpg

Of course, lens flare can be generated off of reflective surfaces, but the shade keeps it from happening as a result of direct impingement by the sun's rays.

Pahoo
October 13, 2011, 12:14 PM
You will know when it happens and if you have been shooting a bit, you have already seen the negative effects of the light. Their use, makes a difference. The biggest problem I have is trying to find the correct one that fits my target scopes. I understand that someone makes a boot that will fit a range of scopes but "m leary of their appearance. I have litterally had to take the scope with me to try and find a fit. ...:mad:

Be Safe !!!

timelinex
October 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Is there any disadvantage of having a sun shade on at all times? Other than size/weight or in extremely low light conditions.

Pahoo
October 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Is there any disadvantage of having a sun shade on at all times? Other than size/weight or in extremely low light conditions.
None but understand that I only have these on my target scopes as oppose to my hunters. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

warbirdlover
October 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
Doesn't it also help with the waves you get off the barrel when it heats up?

Oops, I missed that comment at the end of post #3. Sorry. :confused:

Anyway, here are my two rifles...

Double Naught Spy
October 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Did you read post#3?

Dr Heckel
October 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Noone has mentioned one of the more common reason they're used...visual appeal!:eek: I bought mine simply because I saw it offered for my scope and thought Id give it a try. It absolutely helps when the sun is beaming down on the front lens so it does serve a functional purpose however I also like the way it looks too. Apparently others do as well. I haven't gone to the range one single time with it on and not had multiple compliments on the rifle and/or scope. I initially thought it looked goofy but got used to it so I just leave it on.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/DrHeckel/KIDDoct9th2011009-1.jpg

CPTMurdoc30
October 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
It reduces lens flare
Reduces the affects of barrel heat when shooting long strings.
Reduces the glint off a scope that can spook game
WHAT OH the main reason THEY LOOK COOL.

I have found that shooting in low light it reduces the visible light reaching your eye so it can make the scope look darker.

I keep them on my scopes because if I don't they will grow nike's and run away like a fat kid chasing a chocolate cake.

4runnerman
October 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
I will chime in with a right on Art. Shooting west after 6 PM can be no fun with out one. Weight is non-existant,,what maybe 3 oz's Looks - i agree--I like the way they look.Gets lots of questions at the range when your scope is almost half the length of your rifle:D. Glare is the main reason,,actually the only reason to have them on,

CPTMurdoc30
October 15, 2011, 09:24 PM
My main reason is if I don't put them on my scope I will lose them.