PDA

View Full Version : Buy a second FR8 or a heap of surplus ammo?

Ignition Override
October 13, 2011, 12:59 AM
There are several good FR8s on two auctions sites.
These reportedly might increase more in price (%) than the NATO 7.62 ammo in the next few years.

Surplus NATO 7.62 (BO, non-corr.) can be found at about .40/rd., with shipping.

Do many guys who reload surplus military ammo sometimes just want a chunk of reserve ammo, which costs not much more than what reloads might average per round, and will save time and trouble?

chiefr
October 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have reloaded thousands with mil brass which I attained for nothing. This has been very cost effective for me personally and I continue to do so.
Lately, I purchase a quantity of 308 TULA Ammo from Cheaper than Dirt at a cost of $6.49 per 20. The TULA has perfomed exceptionally well for me and just as good as the domestic stuff. I realize the mention of Russian ammo will bring out the bashers, but for the price, it is great stuff.

Ignition Override
October 14, 2011, 01:45 AM
For bashers, that is their problem, not ours.
A few, or maybe many of them probably buy German DAG ammo, which would be more than ironic for those aware of events in 1939-45.

Russian ammo prices in early '08 are the Only reason I bought my Mini 14, 30 and SKS rifles.
Those rifle sales helped to support American jobs, but this is inconvenient.

Anyway, you would probably buy ammo (or components) instead of a popular milsurp rifle?

TX Hunter
October 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
Tough Choice, Just dig deeper and get them both.:D

TX Hunter
October 14, 2011, 08:17 AM
I bought a few boxes of the Tula .308 ammo for plinking, I havent fired it yet, but was wondering if it was any good. I bought it at an Academy Sporting Goods Store, really cheap.
Its FMJ Steel Cased ammo.

Webleymkv
October 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
I've shot Tula Ammo in both my Saiga (.223) and S&W 1911 (.45 ACP) without issue. I may eventually try some in my CZ-75 (9mm) when my stock of Federal Champion runs low. My dad has also had good luck with Tula .380 in his IJ-70 Makarov.

The only Russian ammo that I have personally had bad experiences with was Silver/Golden Bear. Golden Bear 30-06 145gr FMJ had the rims of the cases torn off in an FN-49 and Silver Bear 9mm 145gr JHP was so out of spec that one cartridge was stuck tight enough in the chamber of my CZ-75 to require disassembly of the gun to remove it. I have, however, shot Brown/Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, Wolf, and a few other types of cheap 7.62x39 ammo in both Chinese Type 59 and Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles and Century GP-75 and Norinco Mak-90 AK's without issue.

Ignition Override
October 17, 2011, 11:39 PM
Today a rim had a piece torn off by my nice Service Grade Garand from the CMP.
The ammo is M2 Ball, fresh from the original box (Not reloaded). The rifle misfed, but otherwise was fine.

The brass had never suffered this problem before, having used about 200 rds., and this case easily came out with a push from a cleaning rod.

A friend who was there competed in matches with Garands years ago (and ARs on the Navy Marks. Team) and had never seen it in an M-1.

Ignition Override
October 26, 2011, 02:37 AM
After weeks of comparing several choices, Monday night I bought a "Buy Now" FR8 on Gunbroker.

When asking the seller Mon, afternoon whether anybody had tried any ammo or checked the headspace, the gent fired a few rounds, measured the case expansion (sent me the data) and used both Go and No-Go gauges on it.