PDA

View Full Version : scope turret caps stuck

willrussellville
October 9, 2011, 02:03 PM
I hope I am in the correct forum and I hope I titled this with the correct term. The items in question are the cover/caps over the windage and elevation adjustments on a rifle scope. I have a 1980's Redfield Widefield 1.75-5X that belonged to my Dad. I can't get these caps/covers off. Mild pressure from channel locks on the covered caps doesn't work. The caps are actually beveled such that it is very difficult to grasp. Can I put heat on it? Suggestions?

hooligan1
October 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think heat is a good idea. Maybe just a Q-tip covered with penetrating oil, and go easily.

Old Grump
October 9, 2011, 03:58 PM
Ditto on the oil, turn the scope upside down and drop a drop of Kroil penetrating oil on each cap every day for a week then try. Failing that you may have to cut the cap. A hacksaw blade without the hacksaw frame and cut a vertical slit from the base of the cap up to were the threads would end. Then more oil and try again with your pliers. Hopefully the slit will relieve enough pressure to allow the threads to break free. You can still use the cap but it will have that slot in it now.

Cowboy_mo
October 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
+1 for the penetrating oil and soak over a few days. Then if you don't have them, pick up a pair of "duck bill" channel locks. They have a hooked upper jaw and are designed to get a better grip on round items like pipe without providing so much crush.

Not with guns (hope the mods forgive me) but when working with small pipe I have found the duck bills give me a much better grip and will often unscrew without marking the pipe. Also, I would also suggest protecting the caps with some cloth or perhaps a household rubber coaster when using the pliers.

Good luck!